66 Chevelle AMD Fender Problem - Chevelle Tech
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 19, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

66 Chevelle AMD Fender Problem

I bought 2 new fenders awhile back from Auto Metal Direct with several problems. It was fix one just to find another and another etc. After contacting them about the first defect they offered to waive the restocking fee but I would have to pay the return truck freight. It would have cost me a total of $310 plus dollars just to have a look at the fenders. I would not buy anything from Auto Metal Direct again.

The problem I need advise on is reshaping the front top of the fenders. Here are pictures of what I am up against.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2824.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	603200  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 19, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Re: 66 Chevelle AMD Fender Problem

No damage to the hood and it matches the old fenders. Look like I will have to drill out the spot welds along the horizontal support and attempt to reshape it. How best to do it??
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 19, 11:48 AM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

I think you'd be better off reshaping the hood. I don't think you'll ever get there on the fenders. What do your gaps look like at the back? Hood to cowl, fenders to hood, etc.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Scott W.
Electrical Engineer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
700R4
This is how we roll:

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 19, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Hood to cowl is 3/8 inch. Due to the flatness of the fenders it is way forward to align the leading front edges.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 19, 12:20 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Cory

I had the same problem with a passenger side reproduction fender. Admittedly, the 10 yr old aftermarket hood was not perfect either.

We cut out a piece of cardboard to match the hood profile for use as a template

Drilled out the spot welds along the inner brace to fender.

Mounted the fender on a stand and gently adjusted the fender to match the cardboard template

Clamped the fender to the inner brace and plug welded the old spot welds.

Sounds hard and it took two of us but certainly worth the time and effort.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Repaint1 - Body Repairs - Fender3 Profile adjust.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	603202   Click image for larger version

Name:	Repaint3 - Assembly 001.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	603204  
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 19, 12:24 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Cory

Quote:
Originally Posted by red68chevL View Post
I think you'd be better off reshaping the hood. I don't think you'll ever get there on the fenders. What do your gaps look like at the back? Hood to cowl, fenders to hood, etc.

Come to think of it, we also tweaked the hood a bit by rocking a 2x4 from front to rear of the hood with a LOT of pressure.

We may have even clamped the ends of the 2x4 to the hood to assist adding pressure to the contour.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 19, 1:36 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

I swear 66-67 front ends have to be the worst at panel alignment. My brother is a body guy, working on my dad's 66 convertible. All new front sheet metal, purchased in different years. What a rats nest of problems. He had a trapezoidal hood problem - align the fenders to the doors and get the X right.... Then the hood looked off. I saw what it took to fix it, and I don't envy anyone taking that on.

Scott W.
Electrical Engineer

700R4
This is how we roll:

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 19, 1:53 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Garage

Quote:

Maybe a new hood from AMD would fit the contours of the fender ? Rather than rework a stock hood, buy a hood and you may not have to modify anything.

67 Chevelle convertible, 138 vin, original 4 speed, bucket seats, Marina Blue with black interior
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 19, 2:14 PM
TW
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

I think I would rather find 2 used OEM fenders and fix whatever is wrong with them. At least they are likely to fit right.
Pete 67 likes this.

Tom
502 Powered '66 SS
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 19, 7:14 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream66 View Post
Come to think of it, we also tweaked the hood a bit by rocking a 2x4 from front to rear of the hood with a LOT of pressure.

We may have even clamped the ends of the 2x4 to the hood to assist adding pressure to the contour.

I had to do that also. I also had to drill out the welds on the outer ends of my radiator support and adjust to get my hood to fender gaps correct after the hood to cowl vent was good.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 19, 9:24 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by TW View Post
I think I would rather find 2 used OEM fenders and fix whatever is wrong with them. At least they are likely to fit right.
I do this all day, every day and it is the preferred choice for every make and model car I restore. One can make most repro parts fit, but it very time consuming for a novice. Assembly line parts are the best choice; NOS can be poorly stamped due to worn out dies.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 19, 9:26 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1 View Post
I do this all day, everyday. Exactly how would you perform your suggested procedure?
Well, let me begin by saying I am not a body man. I don't have a procedure. I am an engineer. I problem solve. And looking at the OPs problem tells me that you can tear into 2 fenders (2 things to fix) or reshape the hood 1 fix. Yes I know it's 2 edges, but reshaping the hood does not require drilling out 12 spot welds, yes?
If the hood was moved forward to match the leading edge fender to hood, then that tell s me it's a hood problem. Does every set of 66 fenders have this issue? Now, again, I don't do this professionally or DIY. If you have the procedure, please help him.

davewho1 likes this.

Scott W.
Electrical Engineer

700R4
This is how we roll:

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 19, 9:54 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Quote:
Well, let me begin by saying I am not a body man. I don't have a procedure. I am an engineer. I problem solve. And looking at the OPs problem tells me that you can tear into 2 fenders (2 things to fix) or reshape the hood 1 fix. Yes I know it's 2 edges, but reshaping the hood does not require drilling out 12 spot welds, yes?
If the hood was moved forward to match the leading edge fender to hood, then that tell s me it's a hood problem. Does every set of 66 fenders have this issue? Now, again, I don't do this professionally or DIY. If you have the procedure, please help him.

If you do not have decades of restoration or collision experience, perhaps you should not be providing advice. Many gearheads do no have an engineering degree, but they can design and build a car from scratch from frame to body to drivetrain. Built, not bought.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 19, 9:57 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Quote:
If you do not have decades of restoration or collision experience, perhaps you should not be providing advice. Many gearheads do no have an engineering degree, but they can design and build a car from scratch from frame to body to drivetrain. Built, not bought.
What a mouth. I'll bet you know it all, just ask you. I can see this is why the body shop forum is thin with answers. Show us. Show us you know it all instead of belittling others that dont have your DECADES OF EXPERIENCE. I built my car, didn't buy it. Piss off.

davewho1 and 68-13427 like this.

Scott W.
Electrical Engineer

700R4
This is how we roll:

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 19, 10:13 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Quote:
I do this all day, every day and it is the preferred choice for every make and model car I restore. One can make most repro parts fit, but it very time consuming for a novice. Assembly line parts are the best choice; NOS can be poorly stamped due to worn out dies.
One more thing. I GUARANTEE YOU the OP will try every other piece of advice on this thread before he takes the "experts advice" of buy OEM fenders. I at least offered an opinion, you did not.

OK I'm done. I'm embarassed how this has played out, I'm embarassed for Team Chevelle. If I was the OP, I would leave and not comment again. This is how forums die. I apologize to everyone reading this.

Scott W.
Electrical Engineer

700R4
This is how we roll:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in