• 1 Post By 68maliblue68
  • 1 Post By Jim's69Ragtop

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 19, 1:29 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Casey

Garage
Arrow Lower front Window Dash/Cowl Rot repair for 68

I did a search and found a few older posts on this issue but found little for 68 Coupe/SS/Malibu style body types.

I'll add the pics from my other post re Antenna type so you can see the rust common in most cases I am seeing and in most years also.

Seeing that I have to do some rust repair on the dash and cowl, I am going with a 70 Style windshield with antenna in the glass. Not worried about the reception etc that is another post.
I can then cut the square hole needed for the antenna connection in the cowl.

I see there are two patch panels I will probably need to get... correct me if I am wrong please...thanks

1.) The first being the lower dash repair panel... More of a strip of sheet metal

2.) The next is either make patches myself or get the top Cowl vent Panel and cut what I need off it to make a patch panel as I don't think removing the whole part from my car is needed.

Again I'll assess more when I take the windshield out and see the extent of the rust.

Now I will ask this also I have read that the gauge of the dash is pretty thin maybe 20 gauge and the repair panel could be 18 or more. Has this been the case with anyone? as it does make welding a little more difficult.

Once I see the rust damage I will assume that I repair the cowl area first then lay the dash repair on top of that and do that next?

Windshield will be coming out Sunday with The Spousal Unit's assistance aka wife LOL although she doesn't know it yet!

Hoping this is a short path to some needed repair!

Thank you

Casey
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14 20190813_front rust on lower windshield and dash (2).jpg
Views:	18
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	603018   Click image for larger version

Name:	13 20190813_front rust on lower windshield and dash (1).jpg
Views:	20
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	603020   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190908_210015.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	603022  

1968 Malibu sport coupe to go with
my Barbie wife of the same year!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 1:59 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Casey

Garage
Re: Lower front Window Dash/Cowl Rot repair for 68

Good thing I had my tetanus booster last year!
So I got the windshield out and cleaned all the channels. Fortunately the posts and the upper are in great shape.
The lower right side not bad and the left side a black hole!
I cleaned all the loose rust out and can see the layering.

Yes that is a Ford vacuum cleaner... the only Ford that has never failed me yet!

Have to ask this foam like substance was put between after they welded the two parts together?
Guessing seam sealer will do the same job just prior to the weld together?

I have never used the thin patch panel to repair the dash. Does anyone know if it is wide enough to repair this part as it is quiet high up on the dash at the part where it meets the top of the dash?

If not then I think a new dash piece and then a Cowl patch panel top. I may cut what I need and weld the two together.

Thoughts advice?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190911_174246.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	603160   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190911_175302.jpg
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	603162   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190911_174143.jpg
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	603164  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:28 AM

I had the same rot as you do. I was able to replace just the upper cowl panel as my lower panel was good except for some pinholes which I welded up There are two pieces to the upper cowl. You definitely need the upper and you may be able to patch the lower if the rest of it is ok. You don’t see it when you’re done but you need a sound surface to attach the upper cowl panel. Don’t waste your time with the dash patch panel. It’s designed for a 70-72 chevelle and is double the thickness of your upper dash panel. I tried to use it but when you have rust like you do what is left of your upper dash panel is paper thin and is difficult to weld to a much thicker part without blowing holes in it. I bit the bullet and bought the replacement dash panel. It’s a much cleaner solution and fits well. I did have to adjust the lowerdash panel slightly but for a replacement part it’s pretty good. If I were to do it again I would just buy the complete dash panel.
Capt Casey likes this.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Casey

Garage
Thumbs up Re: Lower front Window Dash/Cowl Rot repair for 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68maliblue68 View Post
I had the same rot as you do. I was able to replace just the upper cowl panel as my lower panel was good except for some pinholes which I welded up There are two pieces to the upper cowl. You definitely need the upper and you may be able to patch the lower if the rest of it is ok. You donít see it when youíre done but you need a sound surface to attach the upper cowl panel. Donít waste your time with the dash patch panel. Itís designed for a 70-72 chevelle and is double the thickness of your upper dash panel. I tried to use it but when you have rust like you do what is left of your upper dash panel is paper thin and is difficult to weld to a much thicker part without blowing holes in it. I bit the bullet and bought the replacement dash panel. Itís a much cleaner solution and fits well. I did have to adjust the lowerdash panel slightly but for a replacement part itís pretty good. If I were to do it again I would just buy the complete dash panel.
Thanks for the reply. I wasn't sure about this part of the panel selection and the vendors don't tell you how large the pieces are and what size they will repair...Just length.

Okay so upper cowl vent panel. Check thought so.
I'll look at the lower to make sure solid and I can weld patches to it as you said no one see's it and it needs to be solid.

The replacement dash panel...is it just the top part of the dash? I didn't think the dash was a two piece unit. But I see the top is separate from the lower part where the steering mounts and the glove box is housed.
A you tube video says it is screwed to gether...is this so?

I'd rather not go with the dash replacement dash panel...that is the whole thing correct?

May I ask where you got the panels from the upper cowl vent and the upper dash?
I attached the photos of the pieces and did find a pic with the thin panel in place but as you said they probably had thicker metal to weld to on the upper dash than I will have.
I do not have a picture of the dash repair panel just the thin one assuming there is a larger piece.

Thanks again for helping me out...

Casey
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CH30741-lrg.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	603206   Click image for larger version

Name:	CH26373-lrg.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	603208   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180602_Body%20work_0022.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	603210  

Last edited by Capt Casey; Yesterday at 1:07 PM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:54 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Greg

Garage

Casey,

Here's a link to a related thread: https://www.chevelles.com/forums/12-...sh-repair.html

Greg

My 68
and my 68
. In 1968 I got my
66 Chevelle SS. 30 years later, I got my
. Both Chevelles are in the same location.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 1:18 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Casey

Garage
Arrow Re: Lower front Window Dash/Cowl Rot repair for 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg P View Post
Casey,

Here's a link to a related thread: https://www.chevelles.com/forums/12-...sh-repair.html

Greg

Thanks Greg I saw this last night and saved the pictures.

I am guessing there is no top dash panel it is the whole thing correct?
I ask because 68 Malibu blue 68 said he replaced the top dash panel...was he referring to the thin strip?

Thanks again for good advice

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 1:29 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Casey

Garage

Quote:
I bit the bullet and bought the replacement dash panel. Itís a much cleaner solution and fits well. I did have to adjust the lowerdash panel slightly but for a replacement part itís pretty good. If I were to do it again I would just buy the complete dash panel.

Dash panel replacement asking what this looks like it is not the thin patch correct? or the one pictured below?

Lower dash I am not sure what you mean by the lower dash as this is all totally new to me?

I do apologize for asking what seem like silly questions

But thank you...

Casey
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180525_Dash%20panel_0010.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	603212  

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 2:45 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Casey

Garage

Okay easy question to ask....

Can you buy a panel for just the top of the dash?
If so can you give the information of where it was from? vendor?

I am looking for just the top part of the dash not the lower parts... so above red lines in picture

And just what you see in second picture...

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190912_111650 - Copy.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	603216   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190912_111427.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	603218  

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 3:13 PM
Tech Team
Jim

Casey -

I had to perform a similar repair as you're up against. In my case, I had to replace the entire cowl. I got my parts from a donor car, but I believe you can purchase an aftermarket replacement for the cowl vent (top piece). The dash panel is one piece as in your picture above - I'm not aware of anyone selling a replacement piece for just the top of it.

Mine again was in bad shape where it is welded to the cowl at the windshield channel, but I was able to salvage. If they sell an aftermarket dash panel, that might be easier but obviously costlier. Most of your rot appears to be just below the bend where it goes down into the channel.

Per the attached picture, I basically cut the dash back to where it goes into the the windshield channel (originally it actually goes into the channel and back up the other side (think of a "V" shape from the side), but I didn't have enough good metal for that). But there was enough good metal to weld it into the new cowl top panel with the exception of a couple sections on either side (see picture) that required some patch pieces welded in.

Assuming you have a MIG welder and ready to take this on? This was all new to me, but if you're handy you should be able to do the work.

Good luck -

jim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	603220  
Capt Casey likes this.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 6:00 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Greg

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Casey View Post
Thanks Greg I saw this last night and saved the pictures.
Well . . . if I'd have bothered to look at the pix in your post, I would have figured that out, since it includes a pix of my '68 El Camino. Oh well.

I'm not aware of a top of dash panel only for a '68, just the complete inner dash panel (with AC) -- which is what I've got. It's possible that 68maliblue68 was referring to https://www.opgi.com/chevelle/1968/s...hield/CH30741/ or possibly https://www.opgi.com/chevelle/1968/s...hield/CH27778/

Good luck with your project!

Greg

My 68
and my 68
. In 1968 I got my
66 Chevelle SS. 30 years later, I got my
. Both Chevelles are in the same location.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 6:10 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Casey

Garage

Thank you Jim both for the advice and the words of encouragement.

I just don't like doing things twice and or in a way that looks horrible especially if there is a correct way and a wrong way to something.

I am going to slowly see what I have for good metal on the dash as I grind it back towards the interior and go with the top cowl panel for sure...
If I am not able to save the dash I will get the whole dash replacement piece and use the top only as there is a seam for the top and lower dash pieces. It is costly but why cut welds that are in perfect condition already present in the car?

Thinking a new repair panel needs to be made to solve this issue and do away with that thin one no one seems to use and make a dash top panel that can be grafted to the lower piece.

That's what I am looking to do I guess.

Thank you again Jim

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Today, 8:32 AM

Didn’t mean to add confusion but yes I did buy the complete dash. It’s much easier to install the whole dash than patching the front half of the dash with five feet of weld and grinding it down. If the patch panel was close to the same thickness it would not be a problem. But take a look at the bottom of your dash. Even though the top portion is not rotted through completely it most likely is rusted on the backside. That rust will need to be dealt with and has made an already thin panel even thinner. The patch panel they sell is .080” thick while the original upper dash panel is less than half that in the non rusty areas. I tried to make it work as I had purchased a patch panel first but I was not satisfied with the results as I felt that the remaining dash metal was just too thin after finishing the welds. At that point I purchased a new complete dash and had it installed in about two hours. From a time and quality perspective the new dash is the way to go in my opinion.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Today, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Casey

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg P View Post
Well . . . if I'd have bothered to look at the pix in your post, I would have figured that out, since it includes a pix of my '68 El Camino. Oh well.

I'm not aware of a top of dash panel only for a '68, just the complete inner dash panel (with AC) -- which is what I've got. It's possible that 68maliblue68 was referring to https://www.opgi.com/chevelle/1968/s...hield/CH30741/ or possibly https://www.opgi.com/chevelle/1968/s...hield/CH27778/

Good luck with your project!

Greg
No problem Greg and again I sure appreciate the advice.
It's a crappy rainy day so time to fire up the stove and start cutting!
Thanks again.

Casey

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Today, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Casey

Garage

Quote:
Didnít mean to add confusion but yes I did buy the complete dash. Itís much easier to install the whole dash than patching the front half of the dash with five feet of weld and grinding it down. If the patch panel was close to the same thickness it would not be a problem. But take a look at the bottom of your dash. Even though the top portion is not rotted through completely it most likely is rusted on the backside. That rust will need to be dealt with and has made an already thin panel even thinner. The patch panel they sell is .080Ē thick while the original upper dash panel is less than half that in the non rusty areas. I tried to make it work as I had purchased a patch panel first but I was not satisfied with the results as I felt that the remaining dash metal was just too thin after finishing the welds. At that point I purchased a new complete dash and had it installed in about two hours. From a time and quality perspective the new dash is the way to go in my opinion.
Thanks for clearing up a cloudy patch there 68 Blue LOL pardon the pun...

I kinda figured it out after a while of sitting and looking at the issues.
I do appreciate the information and the reply in response to my question.
I get er done. as I said to Greg it's a crappy rainy day so Stove lit and start cutting like a surgeon!

Casey

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in