Are four doors lame.?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 19, 9:33 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Allen

Re: Sedan

Not lame, they make great parts cars!

Okay, now that I have people riled up and have that comment out of my system here is my real answer to the query:

Nope, not lame. For some people they are both functional and bring back great memories of the past. Usually an affordable route to a cool driver, entry into muscle cars, or cool race car (just look at the very cool Honk If Parts Fall Off Chevelle)!

Not my preference however for some they check the boxes they are looking for. In the end the car hobby is all about what does it for you and I'm good with just about any car person regardless of chosen style (2dr, 4dr, wagon, original. hot rod, pro tour, drag car, etc...). Does that mean I like the direction everyone takes their car/project? Of course not but like they say opinions are like ________, everyone has one
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 19, 10:23 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

Don't tell that to my son-in-law..........he loves his patina'd 67 Malibu wagon, it's a 4 door, of course.

66 Malibu

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 19, 10:34 AM
Gold Founding Member

Garage

Not lame. They’re an acquired taste.

Mencken: “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 19, 11:41 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

I think crew cab Chevelles are pretty cool.

https://barnfinds.com/chevelle-confu...olet-chevelle/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chevelle-1-1-e1534867574885-630x390.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	602764   Click image for larger version

Name:	chevelle-2-1-e1534867521210-630x390.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	602766   Click image for larger version

Name:	chevelle-3-1-630x390.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	602768  
71350SS and 68-13427 like this.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 19, 11:57 AM
Tech Team
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewmuffs View Post
Are four doors lame.?

To answer that question, yes and no. Of all the car companies and model lines out there, I wish Chevy did not make a four door version of the Chevelle, it loses a little something that the GTO’s, Camaro’s and other no four door model lines will never have. And that is a sole purposely build mandate to be only a performance car. The only embarrassing this the Camaro has is that it has a 6 cylinder option, big deal.

The Chevelle has an ugly brother that should have been aborted at birth and now comes out in the light of day pretending to be the same thing. But they only cheapen the big brother, I for one can not wait until all the four door cars are gone to parts for the two doors. Good riddance in my mind.

Life is too short for caring about every bodies else's stuff
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 19, 2:30 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

I normally don't care for sedans myself but I've seen some very nice ones over the years.
71350SS likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 19, 3:32 PM
Tech Team
Rick

Not lame at all and I'd make space for one in my garage, especially a wagon.

The only lame thing about them is the lack of aftermarket sheet metal and glass support. I looked at a fixer-upper 57 Chevy Bel Air wagon a few months ago and just couldn't justify it because of the glass and metal. It was $2000 with a title and a wagon parts car to sweeten the deal. Still. Just. Too. Far. Gone.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 19, 3:33 PM
Senior Tech Team
Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grock-co View Post
To answer that question, yes and no. Of all the car companies and model lines out there, I wish Chevy did not make a four door version of the Chevelle, it loses a little something that the GTO’s, Camaro’s and other no four door model lines will never have. And that is a sole purposely build mandate to be only a performance car. The only embarrassing this the Camaro has is that it has a 6 cylinder option, big deal.

The Chevelle has an ugly brother that should have been aborted at birth and now comes out in the light of day pretending to be the same thing. But they only cheapen the big brother, I for one can not wait until all the four door cars are gone to parts for the two doors. Good riddance in my mind.
Lemans could be a four door

GM built a car for everyone in the the 60's.
71350SS likes this.

1966 Chevelle SS 396/360 M21 3:73 posi. silver/blue buckets

Maryland Chevelle Club #682
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 19, 3:52 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewmuffs View Post
Are four doors lame.?
Nope, if you have to have a back seat for the family, might as well be able to get to it. If you want sporty, go for the 2 seat El Camino!
(and yet for my daily driver I went from a Charger to a Challenger...)
I am a huge 4 door fan, learned to drive in a 1972 Dodge Van, and a 1975 Impala 4 door hardtop.
I had a Lancer ES Turbo, Intrepid, LHS, Caprice LS, 2 Chargers, a PT Cruiser, 3 Cadillac SUV types, all 4 doors, all were cool cars.
Some were mine, some my wife's.
But classics, 4 doors are only cool if a full sized car. Nowadays nobody wants a moredoor when a 2 door is available, and pay a lot more for them.
Personally I really like 4 door hardtops (Sport in Chevy terms), post cars, not as much. I love having a 6' wide opening with all the windows down.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 19, 7:15 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jonathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grock-co View Post

Not all 2 doors were "muscle cars" either. 68-72 Malibu's with 250s, 307s, 327s and 2bbl 350s. Not all were Malibus either, there were base Chevelle "heater and horn" cars. I have had a two 4 doors and they were fun cars. I also had a 72 Monte. Wagons are also great as are Elkys. So many Chevelles have been stripped to make clone SS cars to the point when you see a non SS car it makes you look twice.

Two 72 Chevelle Malibus, both 350 2bbls one Placer Gold, one Midnight Bronze

Other cars:
2005 Pontiac Vibe
2005 Ford Excursion
2000 Dodge Durango
2003 Mercedes E320
2-2018 Ford Fusions
2013 Ford Fusion
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 19, 10:26 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ed

Garage

I like the 64-67 4 door sedans best. Just don't care for the rear door styling on the 68-72s. Which is kinda strange since I prefer the 68-72 wagons over the earlier models.
Wanted to buy a 67 4 door Malibu last year. 283/PG, all original. Owner wasn't ready to sell. And of course a few months after I bought the GTO he gives me a call and says he's ready.
Nice thing about the 4 doors is they can be an everyday driver that not to many people pay attention to. And that can be an advantage too.

Ed

70 El Camino SS 396
68 GTO (Thanks Mom)
06 Silverado
07 SRX
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 19, 10:42 PM
Tech Team

Not to me. I like em all and I'd own as many as I could get my hands on if I had the cash and the space.

I appreciate all types of cars.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 19, 1:36 AM
Tech Team
Casey

Garage

Funny out here in the west all the um new high performance cars are 4 doors! When you hear a V8 rumble down the street sadly it is usually a Mercedes and yep 4 doors!
$ door Porches and the like....
4 doors does mean 1 other HUGE thing here in Canada and more specifically BC... way cheaper insurance for the year!!!!!

Okay 2 doors too many for my taste as in the case of the dodge Charger,,, It could have looked good with a 2 door model... At least the cop cars look and sound good!

I do like wagons... Poor mans Pickup truck and to be honest way cooler when done up.

I did hear about a 1968 Malibu 2 door wagon in the design stage as a Nomad and made for dealers to pick up and deliver parts...anyone else hear this or is it a Canadian tale only?
It was a parts man that told me this back in the late 70's and even showed me some pictures... remember this was waaaay before Photoshop Etc.

All the best!

1968 Malibu sport coupe to go with
my Barbie wife of the same year!
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 19, 9:32 AM
Gold Founding Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Casey View Post
I did hear about a 1968 Malibu 2 door wagon in the design stage as a Nomad and made for dealers to pick up and deliver parts...anyone else hear this or is it a Canadian tale only?
I guess anything *could* happen in “design stage”. However it doesn’t seem plausible because Chevrolet was already using the Nomad name on its A body wagon from 1968-1972. It also doesn’t seem like there would be enough demand and too much stamping cost for such a limited production vehicle that they would waste their time on it.

I have seen a picture of a ‘71-72 wagon that was converted to a two door using El Camino doors. It inspired me at one time to do the same. Then I started planning (Photoshopping) a build of a crew cab El Camino out of a wagon. I didn’t like the amount of rear overhang and felt like the wheelbase needed to be stretched because there wasn’t enough bed. But that’s another story.

Mencken: “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in