• 3 Post By Pete 67
  • 1 Post By Mikes64
  • 3 Post By Bronze68
  • 2 Post By Bonan73
  • 2 Post By RAIDER SS

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 19, 2:25 PM Thread Starter

1967 Chevelle frame repair

I'm stripped my '67 down to the frame and found that 2 of the front body mount pockets are rotting out. I'm going to have the frame blasted and powder coated but need to fix this first. Looking for suggestions on the proper way to repair this. See the attached photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190830_171115.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	602286  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 19, 2:45 PM
Senior Tech Team

Re: 1967 Chevelle frame repair

This is actually a pretty easy fix. Someone sells thick flat washers with the correct ID size for the bushing to sit in.

You'll need to open up the area of the damage to the proper OD of the washer & weld it flush. Once it's ground & painted, nobody will ever know it was repaired.
davewho1, slowmo55ss and Bonan73 like this.

64 2 door Wagon Build thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 2 door Sedan LS1 T56

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 19, 4:08 PM
Tech Team
Michael

Fastenal sells the same washers for about a third of the price that some of the Chevelle suppliers, forgot the part numbers may need to do a little searching.
Bonan73 likes this.

64 Chevelle

85 Monte Carlo SS

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 19, 6:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone!! I found the washer you suggested. Should be able to get that fixed quick and easy.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 19, 9:15 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Most pros and hobbyists stock metal and don't need to buy repair kits. If subbing it out to a welder, they would have steel in stock. I make my own patches like many do in the restoration industry.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 19, 9:22 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes64 View Post
Fastenal sells the same washers for about a third of the price that some of the Chevelle suppliers, forgot the part numbers may need to do a little searching.
Shops and non pros buy steel directly and pay less than a middle man charges.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 19, 9:28 PM

Folks are right, you can buy the specific washer inserts from UMI, or flat washers from the hardware store will work. I use both, depending upon the severity of surrounding rust and metal thickness. If the rust is serious around the hole, I have machined the larger hardware store washers to correct I.D. and whatever O.D I need to fully clear the rust.

Generally, it's pretty simple/quick.

I use a hole saw on a pneumatic drill. An electric or cordless drill will work, but they generally struggle on metal holes this size.

Weld a tab across the damaged hole, and take your time to locate the original center as best as possible. Drill a small pilot hole, and then go for it with the hole saw.

Below are some pictures. One is a smaller O.D. UMI washer (they laser cut them) and the other is a larger hardware store washer. I use a 2 3/8" hole saw for the UMI. I make the O.D. of the hardware store washers not only clear the rust, but accommodate a common hole saw size.

I weld them in with TIG, using about 95-100 amps. That seems to work the best for me to get full penetration without burning through. MAKE SURE THE METAL IS CLEAN BEFORE WELDING!

NOTE: the last thumbnail shows the underside of completed repair - it will look like it is not fully penetrated in the top of the picture. That is where the frame halves overlap from the assembly process, and the weld generally won't penetrate through both layers of frame material. You can see full penetration where it is only one layer of frame material.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2443.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	602306   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2448.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	602308   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2449.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	602310   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2541.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	602312  

Name:	IMG_2546.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	602314   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2809.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	602316  
71350SS, RAIDER SS and Bonan73 like this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 19, 1:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! I went ahead and got the washer from Fastenal since I just needed 2 ($5.31 total). It seems it will be way less time/work than fabbing these out from scratch. Thanks for the pics!!
davewho1 and Don B like this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 19, 11:22 AM
Tech Team
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1 View Post
Shops and non pros buy steel directly and pay less than a middle man charges.
You are correct, however in rural areas ain’t so easy, only one “metal shop” here and they know it.

64 Chevelle

85 Monte Carlo SS
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 19, 5:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronze68 View Post
Weld a tab across the damaged hole, and take your time to locate the original center as best as possible. Drill a small pilot hole, and then go for it with the hole saw.
What a great trick - thanx for sharing!

Hole saws work great as long as you know how to use them; slow speeds, and using a cutting oil. They will stay sharp and cut through steel again and again.
Pete 67 and Bonan73 like this.

66 Malibu......on it's way back to life as a BB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in