8Likes
  • 2 Post By cheveslakr
  • 1 Post By buddyv
  • 3 Post By BlueSS454
  • 1 Post By eyewanta65
  • 1 Post By sevt_chevelle

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 19, 6:59 PM Thread Starter

Bondo....... skim coat whole body or not?

Getting ready to start the Bondo process for the first time. I have heard of people skim coating the whole car and then some say not to ( just doing the little dents and imperfections). What's the correct way? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 19, 7:03 PM
Tech Team
Rame

Garage
Re: Bondo....... skim coat whole body or not?

I tried skim coating with bondo, it sucked a**, use this https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...3193917&rt=rud
maybe there is something in the bondo brand that can do a good skim but I don't know what it is.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 19, 8:09 PM
Tech Team
Ken

Garage

Watching those car restoration shows on TV, it appears they often skim coat the entire car then sand it smooth to remove any imperfections of the surface, so it can be given a mirror like paint job.

67 Chevelle Malibu, ZZ4 350 crate engine, TH350, FiTech EFI, Vintage Air, Dakota HDX dash, FlowMaster exhaust,
17" Rally style wheels, Redline tires

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 19, 8:39 PM
Gold Founding Member

Garage

Correctness is in the eye of the beholder. No mass produced auto ever received a skim coat of body filler. Unless you are building a very high end car, with every panel flat and level, or want to sand for days on end, just use a couple of coats of a high build primer.

Mencken: ďThe whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.Ē
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 19, 8:40 PM
Senior Tech Team
jerry

I do this, but every body guy has their own methods. My preference is to strip the car, then run a body file over the panels, keeping close eye on where the panels are formed around the inner structure, like the door skins and trunk skin. They typically have a low swale a few inches inward of the hem. My preference is to work that back into the filler, or polyester spray or glaze. I've seen far too many classics that look like a perfect panel, and that takes away the classic look. Finess the factory flaws but don't eliminate them. Just my preference.
Alan F and 71350SS like this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 19, 9:53 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

My camaro was all metal and straight when it was painted.
The whole body was "wiped" with evercoat and sanded.

GenVI 454,Autogear M-22W,Moser 12 w/3.42s

'67 Malibu,468 w/TH400

Project-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 19, 3:05 PM
Tech Team
Hans

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheveslakr View Post
I do this, but every body guy has their own methods. My preference is to strip the car, then run a body file over the panels, keeping close eye on where the panels are formed around the inner structure, like the door skins and trunk skin. They typically have a low swale a few inches inward of the hem. My preference is to work that back into the filler, or polyester spray or glaze. I've seen far too many classics that look like a perfect panel, and that takes away the classic look. Finess the factory flaws but don't eliminate them. Just my preference.
Hi Cheveslakr, What body file do you use, on your panels? Do they come in difference sizes?
EdCarpenter likes this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 19, 3:31 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Garage
Send a message via AIM to BlueSS454

First of all, Bondo is a garbage brand of body filler. Donít use it. Use 3M Platinum plus or an Evercoat product.
Second, applying filler to the entire car is a complete waste of time and materials, IE money. Repair the metal and use filler only where needed. You should be blocking it straight with urethane primer.
Dean, sstom66 and 69SHEVL like this.

Tom Rightler, MCC VP & Newsletter Editor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Best ET: [email protected] MPH

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 19, 3:47 PM
Senior Tech Team
jerry

Any body file longer than 12 inches that has a slight give to it will work fine, just not a "rasp". My long board with 80 grit gets used for this probably more than an actual file. Just block slightly off the edge of your panel and eye the marks.
I've used Upol gold for the last 3 projects and for performance and cost, it's tough to beat. Sands better than Evercoat gold.
Personally, I'd much rather have my "build" with filler than heavy mills of primer. That's a debate that won't finish here as, again, every body guy has their opinion.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 19, 3:56 PM
Senior Tech Team
jerry

....also, I go over that initial filler with 80, leaving it high as much as needed, then 150, then go over that with a soft pad with 240, basically just blending scratches. Then comes the high build primer and block with 150, then blend with 240 again. Spray high build, block with 240, then finess with 400. Now here's where SPI epoxy comes in very handy...spray 2 coats of epoxy then cut with 400 and let it sit. When you're ready to topcoat, cut it with 500 or 600 wet and clean, then topcoat. The high talc in the SPI works fantastic for this, it doubles as a last primer and a sealer.
Lots of sanding session over the car, but I'm not doing this for a living, it's my stuff.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 19, 4:11 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Scott

Garage

I have done it both ways. Feel it depends on how wavy the overall car is to begin with. Also like the results of using Slick Sand sprayable polyester. Did a fairly wavy car years ago. Went many rounds of high build primer to get the results. Not long ago did a very wavy 55 chevy. Skimmed the entire car with "bone" and had a straight panels quickly.
slowmo55ss likes this.

Scott
65 Malibu SS Red On Red 4 Speed
Sold It

Showroom

Current Evening Orchid Project Finally Done

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 19, 7:55 PM
Senior Tech Team

Use sliksand- basically sprayable bondo. Nice even coat, sands great. Make sure you put a sealer over it before paint.

Tighten it till it strips and back it off a quarter turn.

70 (SOLD)

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 19, 6:31 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Location: No more land of OZ for me am back in the corn fields of Iowa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyv View Post
Hi Cheveslakr, What body file do you use, on your panels? Do they come in difference sizes?

You would be hard pressed to find a better file then Pferd, unless you got a hold of some old Heller files
https://www.pferdusa.com/products/20...201d0101P.html

Martin tools also has flat and half round body files, don't know the OEM.
https://www.jegs.com/p/Martin-Tool-a...81744/10002/-1

HJE has some files too, I have several of the curved files, plus it's an awesome mom and pop kinda store.

https://www.harryepstein.com/index.p...body-file.html

A few of my body files. I would go with a flat file and a half round file.

IMG_3853 by eric2406, on Flickr
IMG_3854 by eric2406, on Flickr

Coming from someone who has made a living doing collision and restoration, if the panel is not straight in filler it sure as hell aint gonna be straight in primer.

You don't rely on urethane primer to make the panel straight.

Body filler and polyester primers, ex slick sand, have far higher solids content then urethane primer, meaning shrinkage is less.

Wiping an entire panel is faster and cheaper(time wise) then spotting filler in several spots.

What I do is wipe the entire panel, come back with a 8" mud hog and 80 grit to knock the top off the filler. Wipe the entire panel with 3M or Mirka Dry guide coat. Grab my 21" or 36" AFS sander with 80 grit and block. Once the guide coat is gone, switch to 180 grit and reapply guide coat.
Once sanded with 180 grit, apply a glazing putty over entire panel. Glazing putty is basically a thinned out version of body filler, spreads easier, sands easier.

IMO, if your filler is thicker then 1/16 you need better metal straightening skills.
Plus, straightening metal is faster and easier then sanding filler. These cars have darn near complete backside access, no reason why one can't get a hammer and dolly into most places to correct damage.

The best filler I ever used was Marson Platinum Gold, but 3M bought out Marson, I believe its now the same product.
davewho1 likes this.

Currently working on How to videos and replacement sheetmetal panels

1970 chevelle getting Sliced and Diced Anything But STOCK
1970 chevelle SS455 not a typo its a BUICK BABY
1949 and 1972 chevy trucks
Pictures of my work

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in