Washin' my car - Chevelle Tech
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 19, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jim

Wink Washin' my car

Toyota Corolla or El Camino. I was in Wally World this morning to buy some car wash soap, and I was surprised at relationship between sizes of the containers and price. The cheapest stuff was in almost half-gallon jugs, and the expensive stuff much smaller size containers. Just about an inversely proportional arrangement. I left without buying anything.

I've never really paid much attention to the stuff, but I wonder if I can't just use some mild dishwashing detergent or even baby shampoo? Is there some magic secret ingredient in the heavily marketed stuff that cleans better and is guaranteed not to damage the paint? Or, is there some nasty ingredient in the cheap stuff that is likely to fail to clean; or even damage the finish? I didn't take time to read the fine print on every one of them to see if they all list ingredients, or even if any of them list ingredients.

Last edited by JJ'65; Jul 23rd, 19 at 12:17 AM. Reason: add some words
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 19, 12:25 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage
Re: Washin' my car

Dish wash soap will strip the wax pretty quickly. It will be clean though.

The cheap ones in the big bottles are less concentrated. I like Mothers , but my Chevelle never gets hit with water. Didn't you get the memo? Water melts Chevelles.
David Bates, Dean, blm and 2 others like this.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 19, 1:27 AM
Senior Tech Team
Terry

I use dish washing soap. A dab will do ya. I dont think theres any magical soap for cars. Its all marketing bs. And I dont think any soap can damage your paint. Just dont let the stuff sit on the car all day. lol. Do sections at a time and hose it off. If any mild soap doesnt clean your car, then it needs buffed out.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 19, 7:23 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Garage

I put my car out in the sun and let it get real hot, then get a bucket of hot water and a clean cotton towel, get the towel wet and ring it out then wipe the car down.. The sun opens the pores so the wet towel can get deep into the paint and clean it well...

My paint shop buddy suggested to never wax base coat/clear coat..
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 19, 7:54 AM
Gold Member
Gene

and the paint man who does classics here, WELL, says quite the opposite if you want a deep shine.

I hardly EVER use water to clean Old Red. Something I learned from the Maryland Chevelle Club "long cruisers" on how to maintain a classic. NO WATER. Detailing spray, and clay bar every few years. With WAX and GLAZE to boot! Even gave up my California duster as it was leaving swirls, upon Tom Rightler's advice.

Once in a great while ( every 2nd year or if something goofy happens like getting hydraulic oil sprayed on Old Red, which just happened) I'll wash the car with hot water and dish soap to strip most of the wax, and then clay bar it to prep for polishing and wax.

I do buy the "car wash" jugs on sale for the dailies. We have a ton of wax on the dailies so due to winter salt, etc, .... no dish soap allowed.....

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 19, 8:02 AM
Team Member
Roger

never wax base coat/clear coat.

That's a new one for me. Maybe it's a Pittsburgh thing. ;>) (I think I can say that since I grew up in Somerset & went to college in Pittsburgh. And have my tongue in my cheek)

Here in the south, my paint booth buddies just say "let it cure for a month or so before waxing w/ a quality wax". That's what I do and I've always had a good shine and no paint issues.
427L88 and roadster601 like this.

1972 El Camino SS (sold)
1981 Camaro Z28
2005 Silverado 3500 LS
2013 Sierra 1500 SLT
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 19, 11:23 AM
Gold Member
Gene

Roger, for a pure show car/ trailer queen, it may make sense. I wouldn't wax it, only glaze it. Some heavy coat waxes like Zymol, sort of swirl on their own.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 19, 11:29 AM
Tech Team
lou

Send a message via AIM to roadster601

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro462 View Post
I put my car out in the sun and let it get real hot, then get a bucket of hot water and a clean cotton towel, get the towel wet and ring it out then wipe the car down.. The sun opens the pores so the wet towel can get deep into the paint and clean it well...

if that were true the cars paint/clear would come off like a snake skin

lou
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 19, 1:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jim

Red face Re: Washin' my car

Quote:

I believe him.

My experience with a 150,000 mile 2008 Toyota Corolla, dark blue: Washington state near Tacoma. Garage available and used especially winter; don't like to deal with frost and ice. Mild climate, and no sun-brutal summers like...Fresno. Driven mostly freeway including many 14-15 hour 900 mile fun drives up and down I-5. Lots of bugs sometimes.

I have never-- not even once--applied or had applied any wax/polish/cleaner/protectant. Lazy and cheap; washed it myself a couple times a year for the first 10 years with the cheap stuff I probably bought in WallyWorld. Use a commercial car wash a few times last year or so. Bent my front license plate. Paint looks and shines like new.

I have been thinking about waxing, since I'm retired and have spare time. I'm thinking that I just banished that idea, but I think I'll take a look in the owners manual to see what Toyota says.

Just one man's anecdotal $0.02. Your experience may differ...
hydro462 likes this.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 19, 7:50 AM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Been in the business for decades. Paint is catalyzed and pores don't open. Wax does not harm paint, If it did, hundreds of cars I've painted would have failing paint, including my own. If you get swirls from wax, you are using the wrong product. Collinite insulator 845 wax. No abrasives, easy-on, easy off. Or any other quality product.
Greg P and Rosinbluth like this.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 19, 7:56 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ'65 View Post
Toyota Corolla or El Camino. I was in Wally World this morning to buy some car wash soap, and I was surprised at relationship between sizes of the containers and price. The cheapest stuff was in almost half-gallon jugs, and the expensive stuff much smaller size containers. Just about an inversely proportional arrangement. I left without buying anything.

I've never really paid much attention to the stuff, but I wonder if I can't just use some mild dishwashing detergent or even baby shampoo? Is there some magic secret ingredient in the heavily marketed stuff that cleans better and is guaranteed not to damage the paint? Or, is there some nasty ingredient in the cheap stuff that is likely to fail to clean; or even damage the finish? I didn't take time to read the fine print on every one of them to see if they all list ingredients, or even if any of them list ingredients.
I use Meguiars Car wash between waxes. I never us dish washing or laundry detergent unless I need to get tar off the bottom of the car and then I know I will be hand waxing the car with Meguiars or Turtle wax paste afterward.
Greg P likes this.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 19, 2:44 PM
Senior Tech Team
Claude

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryAT View Post
I use dish washing soap.
--> Wrong. They're much too strong and will definitely strip off the wax.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryAT View Post
I dont think theres any magical soap for cars. Its all marketing bs And I dont think any soap can damage your paint.
--> Wrong. There are soaps specifically made to wash cars that won't harm the paint or remove the wax.
Quote:
--> All wrong. I don't know where you found that but it's a known fact that you must never wash a car in direct sunlight! Washing a painted surface is not like washing your skin and "pores" won't open (see next post).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1 View Post
Paint is catalyzed and pores don't open. Wax does not harm paint
--> Right
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEN357 View Post
I use Meguiars Car wash between waxes. I never us dish washing or laundry detergent unless I need to get tar off the bottom of the car and then I know I will be hand waxing the car with Meguiars or Turtle wax paste afterward.
--> Right.

Claude.
Greg P and 71350SS like this.

1971 Chevelle SS
1987 Buick Grand National 9.48 @ 142 mph
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 19, 3:20 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

While we are talking washing and waxing.... what about the newer coatings that are being advertised that just spray on and then you wash it off to activate it ? I have seen a bunch of ads esp on you tube about newer polymer type coatings that are easy to apply, has anyone ever tried any of that type of coating ?
I really can't call them wax but they do the same thing to protect your paint.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 19, 3:52 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

I have no proof to back this up but I would imagine letting your paint get nice and hot then spraying it with cool water might be kind of stressful for the paint and bodywork.
Never wax clearcoat? Wax is a sealant. It's a microlayer protecting the paint from a number of paint harmful items such as acid rain, bugs, just plain crap in the air. Without it your paint takes the abuse.
As a kid, one of my friends dad used to say NEVER change the oil in your car. Well even as a kid I knew that was BS.
No dish soap. Unless one is planning g to immediately afterwards use clay bar, then polish and or wax. Dish soap will preclean for the clay bar.
Now not saying car soap soaps are super secret voo doo stuff but I buy the cheaper stuff in the gallon jug. Just like all dish soaps are the same. I found that out the hard way when I put regular dish liquid In the dishwasher.
71350SS likes this.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 19, 5:01 PM
Tech Team
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71350SS View Post
While we are talking washing and waxing.... what about the newer coatings that are being advertised that just spray on and then you wash it off to activate it ? I have seen a bunch of ads esp on you tube about newer polymer type coatings that are easy to apply, has anyone ever tried any of that type of coating ?
I really can't call them wax but they do the same thing to protect your paint.
The only one I have experience with, and I've used it a lot as I detail cars on the side, is McKees 37 Si02 HydroBlue. After you wash your car, before you dry it, you give one or two sprays per panel, less is better really, then immediately rinse it off with your hose. Before your eyes, it will start to bead water. It's a very good product. I offer it as a $35 option when I clean a car, and I have a lot of customers that use this option. On my wife's van, I've gotten 7-8 months protection out of it. This is her daily, sits outside at her work, but is in garage overnight at home. Really is a great product. I've seen Megs, along with some other brands, have their own version, I've not tried any others.

I shy away from wax, unless it's for a show type car, as wax doesn't provide long lasting protection as say a sealant does, and wax tends to have more static and attract dust easier. Perhaps use a sealant then top with wax would be a better combo. More longevity after the wax wears off.

So how I do a cleaning, first I spray all purpose cleaner on tires, hit em with a stiff bristle brush, then rinse. That removes any tire blooming and really gets a tire clean again. If car has polished alum wheels, Can't use all purpose cleaner as it will etch the wheel, so then I just use car wash soap and water. Then I hand wash the car, using Megs Gold Class or Chemical Guys PINK car wash soap. Then if requested, while still wet, I use the HyrdoBlue, then blow dry with cordless leaf blower dedicated to car cleaning, then towel dry with a drying towel called Dreadnought. I'll then hit the tires with Megs Hyper Dressing or McKee's 37 Si02 Tire Shine. Both will give a nice sheen, not wet look, but new tire look, and are not oily or greasy. Interior panels get wiped down with Aerospace 303. 303 will restore some color to plastic panels, and leaves a nice clean surface, no oily residue. Won't dry out plastic panels.

My daily is my test vehicle. I'm doing a paint correction on it right now, trying some new products. First I washed with Dawn to remove dirt and wax, then I used Iron X to remove iron particals from the paint, then clay barred it. After that I buffed it using Sonax MaxCut, followed by Sonax Polish, then Jescar powerlock as the sealant, finished with Collinte 845 wax. White truck so I'm trying to get some glow and pop out of it as whites don't pop like dark colors do when polished and paint corrected. Solution Finish will restore faded black plastic. Jescar Powerlock sealant and Collinte 845 are supposed to be a very good match to be used together. So I'm trying it to see how I like the results.

For some of you guys that don't wash ur rides with water and hoses, there is Wolfgang Uber Rinseless Wash. Use it in a bucket of water and a bunch of microfiber towels and wash your nice car without the hose. Works like a dream.

Everything I use, I get from Amazon or Autogeek. Only thing I can get locally is Megs Gold Class car wash soap, everything else is better product than anything you'll find at wal mart or an auto parts store. IMO.
427L88 and blm like this.

Last edited by Rosinbluth; Jul 24th, 19 at 5:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in