• 1 Post By Rich-L79

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 19, 7:01 PM Thread Starter
Super Mod
Rich

Garage
Impressed by an inexpensive polish for black cars

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b...ax+black&pos=0

The wife has an almost new 2018 Mazda 3 Grand Touring hatchback. It is black metallic. It has been incredibly hard to keep looking clean. The first wax product I tried was horrible and I moved up to my standby from Meguires that I use on everything else with great results. It looked great for a month or so but when I washed the car this morning it felt like it had no wax left on it (it has only been about 3 months). Even fresh and clean, it always looks a little less than clean. I decided to try some polish specially made for black paint, Turtle Wax Color Magic (see the link above). It was even on sale. Given the price I didn't expect a whole lot but it needed SOMETHING and at least this stuff wouldn't leave white residue at the edges. It went on easy and the original buff off wasn't too much work but left it looking streaky and slightly greasy. It was hot and humid out which always causes problems with the buffing as the wax or polish never seems to really dry fully. Anyway, I pulled out a brand new microfiber polishing cloth and gave it another buffing and it was like polishing a diamond. The black got deeper and rich looking and the shine was nothing short of amazing. I really am impressed with this stuff. Hopefully their Color Magic black detailing spray will keep it looking great in between polishings.

The wife even said the car was faster now since it passes through the air so much easier!
MidLife72 and Molly's 70 like this.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rich Cummings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 19, 9:14 PM
Jeff

Re: Impressed by an inexpensive polish for black cars

Thanks Rich, I'll have to give it a try.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 19, 9:48 PM Thread Starter
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffs68ss View Post
Thanks Rich, I'll have to give it a try.
Wear rubber gloves. The polish itself is black and will stain your hands at least temporarily. The amount I got on my forearms washed off okay, but the label says to wash it off your hands immediately. Don't wear any clothes you can't afford to get black stains on. I don't know yet if they will wash out. The first buffing towel looks like I used it to clean the sludge out of the inside of a 200k mile engine. Going to wash a batch of car wash towels tomorrow and will find out.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

Rich Cummings

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 19, 1:46 AM
Tech Team
John

Garage
Hey Rich, wax has a pretty low melting point, especially carnuba based waxes. Hot as it's been here in Nebraska, the wax is prolly gone after a few days in the sun. That's why it seemed like it wasn't there when u washed it. I've never used the color magic, but I'll guess it's hiding swirls and scratches with a filler of some sort, and not necessarily smoothing the paint to remove the imperfections, which is where we get the shine from. If it's working for you great. I'd recommend moving up to some sort of paint sealant instead of the wax. Or you can add the wax over the sealant, using the wax as a sacrificial layer that you'll need to reapply every couple weeks or so. You'll get way better longevity from a sealant, along with no fillers to hide imperfections. I like McKees 37 si02 hydroblue, or jescar powerlock.
427L88 and cheveslakr like this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 19, 8:52 AM Thread Starter
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

Well, technically, this product is a polish, not a wax. Not sure if that makes a difference. The Meguiar's carnuba wax I use on my own daily and on my Chevelles and GTO seems to last just fine on those cars but did not on the Mazda. Maybe that was due to the wax I had tried previously on the Mazda which did not work very well at all. Though the Megauiar's stuff I use is a wax/polish combination so maybe that makes the difference.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

Rich Cummings
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 19, 9:28 AM
Tech Team
John

Garage
I understand. Did you put anything on after the color magic polish? Like another wax. I like the way carnuba makes a car look. Nice deep warm gloss. The longevity isn't there for me tho. I used to use a all in one polish sealant called klasse...it was real nice on black or darker cars. And it lasted a long time as well. I'd wash, then clay bar, then klasse..after that, it was so smooth and slick you couldn't even set the bottle on the hood, it'd slide right off. Lasted 6-9 months on my pickup, which was my daily, but parked in garage overnight.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 19, 6:16 PM Thread Starter
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinbluth View Post
I understand. Did you put anything on after the color magic polish? Like another wax. I like the way carnuba makes a car look. Nice deep warm gloss. The longevity isn't there for me tho. I used to use a all in one polish sealant called klasse...it was real nice on black or darker cars. And it lasted a long time as well. I'd wash, then clay bar, then klasse..after that, it was so smooth and slick you couldn't even set the bottle on the hood, it'd slide right off. Lasted 6-9 months on my pickup, which was my daily, but parked in garage overnight.
Nope, just the polish for now.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

Rich Cummings
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 19, 10:44 AM
Gold Member
Gene

Right? Usually RUN AWAY from Turtle Wax products. Like Armorall. Good tip tho. Did have a wax a few years back called " DEEP CRYSTAL" specifically for darker finishes. No tint in that one and it did lay on black very nicely. Hard to get black nice for sure.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 19, 10:54 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

FWIW,this Jay Leno quick detailer works very well and looks outrageous on black,I use it on my Grand National:

https://www.lenosgarage.com/collecti...quick-detailer

Once in awhile I use it on my black Trailblazer but I feel bad "wasting it" on a daily driver

And Rich, thanks for the recommendation, I will give the turtle wax stuff a try on my Trailblazer.
427L88 likes this.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 19, 11:10 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-L79 View Post
Well, technically, this product is a polish, not a wax. Not sure if that makes a difference. The Meguiar's carnuba wax I use on my own daily and on my Chevelles and GTO seems to last just fine on those cars but did not on the Mazda. Maybe that was due to the wax I had tried previously on the Mazda which did not work very well at all. Though the Megauiar's stuff I use is a wax/polish combination so maybe that makes the difference.
I think it does make a difference. When I first got the EC way back in the day, I used chrome polish occasionally , since it worked so good to really shine up those bumpers and all those chromed moldings around the back window. Then I found out that it worked so good because it was really polishing off some chromium. Stopped doing that.

My understanding is that polishing is an abrasive process, however fine. Think polishing crankshaft journals. Buffing out a wax coating is more like smoothing a layer of a coating, thin layer of wax.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 19, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

We'll see how it does after a few washings. If it doesn't hold up, I'll use the polish again and follow it up with some wax or sealant.

And an FYI follow up on the black stains on clothes and towels the product created. On the towels used to buff the car, everything washed out just fine. The terrycloth covered applicator pad, which started out white, ended up gray but that's okay, at least I'll know which one belongs with this particular polish. But the good news is the stuff washed out of the towels and my clothes.
Rosinbluth likes this.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

Rich Cummings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in