'66 SS bumper waaay left, how do I bring it right? - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 19, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Re: '66 SS bumper waaay left, how do I bring it right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffschevelle View Post
  1. Open Hood all the way. If your springs are weak, find a way to keep it from accidentally closing.
  2. Open both doors all the way.
  3. Put some soft towels between your back bumper and body all around both taillight extension housings. But don't stuff them in too tight - you want it to be able to move without the towel getting clamped in there and squeezing too hard on the body.
  4. That front bumper is so close to your fender I would remove it before readjusting the body. Or if you are willing to risk it, put some soft towels between it and the valence and fenders all around too.
  5. Loosen every body-to-frame bolt.
  6. Loosen the two rad-support to frame bolts.
  7. Use a small porta-power spreader (with lots of tape on it so it doesn't mar any paint) between the frame rail and the rocker to slowly and carefully move the body around to get the gaps between the frame and the rockers to match on both sides of the car. You want the gap at the front ends of the long straight part of the frame to match left to right, and likewise at the back ends of the long straight part of the frame. However front to rear down the side may not be exactly "straight" as the gap may grow or shrink from front to rear, you just want the two side to be the same. That is the best starting point for "square". But have someone watching both your bumpers while you do it to make sure nothing gets in a bind.
  8. Once that is square, tighten the four corner body bolts.
  9. Then re-square the front clip. The distance from the back inner corner of one fender to the front inner corner of the other fender should match from side to side. Have someone watch the fender to A-pillar joint to make sure nothing starts to bind.
  10. Snug the radiator support bolts.
  11. Carefully check your doors to make sure they will still close without hitting the fenders. Adjust the fender forward if necessary to get door clearance (but if that has to be done then you have to resquare the front clip again because that will throw it off).
  12. Carefully close your hood to make sure it does not hit the fenders, and readjust it as necessary.
  13. Now loosen and realign your bumpers if necessary. They should be decently close at this point. If they are not close enough to suit you, then you can loosen the body again and nudge it a tiny bit either way, but if you do that then you have to deal with resquaring the nose, and your door and hood gaps all over again.
  14. Once you are happy, retighten everything!

Good luck!
Thanks, I really appreciate all the replies, and help on how to straighten to body to the frame. I haven't worked with gaps before, and could learn, however it seems reasonable that I should be able to return the car to the resto shop to have them straighten the body to the frame, I would have assumed this should have been done when they mated frame back to the body? I didn't know this could be a problem, so didn't discuss this with them up front, so trying to understand what a reasonable expectation should be. At home, we are basically limited to trying to do this with a floor jack, and this sounds like a case where a lift would make things 5x less difficult?

Again, really appreciate all the input!
Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 19, 9:20 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Re: '66 SS bumper waaay left, how do I bring it right?

All my rear sheet metal has been replaced on my 67. I lined up the frame/floor reference holes but my frame rail to quarter-lip is off by 1/16. Who knows if that the difference in how the sheet metal was attached or a slight misalignment. Will that slight measurement makes difference? I guess we’ll see.

Joe

1967 SS 396 Chevelle
Formerly Bolero Red
Soon to be a 427 equipped Tahoe Turquoise head turner!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in