Rear glass recommendation needed - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 19, 5:00 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Location: No more land of OZ for me am back in the corn fields of Iowa!
Re: Rear glass recommendation needed

When you wire wheel, I would apply some epoxy primer to that bare metal, that windshield primer is not meant for bare metal.

Currently working on How to videos and replacement sheetmetal panels

1970 chevelle getting Sliced and Diced Anything But STOCK
1970 chevelle SS455 not a typo its a BUICK BABY
1949 and 1972 chevy trucks
Pictures of my work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 19, 6:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Steve

Thanks. Any recommendation of a good primer I could use that I can brush onto the window channel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevt_chevelle View Post
When you wire wheel, I would apply some epoxy primer to that bare metal, that windshield primer is not meant for bare metal.

1972 Chevelle, 454, 200-4r non-lockup, 12 bolt 3.73
1981 Camaro Z28, 355, TH350, 3.73
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 19, 8:55 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Randy

Steve, if your installer deal falls through, this guy supplies the materials and shows you how to do it yourself the correct way:

Randy
TC # 5401
67 Project SS Clone

Owning a Chevelle project is like having a giant-size piggy bank that you keep pouring money into....but you can't get it back out.

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 19, 9:39 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Don't skimp on rivets / screws for the trim clips. Guy that installed my windows used cheap chinese crap. Rivet heads popped off from the tension of the trim and now they're leaking. Windshield channel is draining, but it's draining into the floorboard..

I'm debating on pulling the windshield, replacing all them, and possibly adding a smear of seam sealer under the clips when I install them.

*Jeff*

Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 19, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Steve

All of my original trim clip studs are in place and in good shape.

I bought all new trim clips.

Right now, the glass company I found is scheduled out until July 9th. I've got an appointment then to drop the car and glass off (got the new glass already) and they will install it properly with urethane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
Don't skimp on rivets / screws for the trim clips. Guy that installed my windows used cheap chinese crap. Rivet heads popped off from the tension of the trim and now they're leaking. Windshield channel is draining, but it's draining into the floorboard..

I'm debating on pulling the windshield, replacing all them, and possibly adding a smear of seam sealer under the clips when I install them.

post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 19, 5:04 PM
Tech Team

According to a source here (El Paso area) butyl tape is still readily available. The butyl tape is apparently available in different thicknesses for the glass to achieve the proper height away from the pinch weld window channel. Personally have had several "jobs" done with urethane, (72 model) and invariably, the glass ends up too far recessed in the window opening for the stainless window surround trim to fit properly. Never been satisfied with a urethane job. In all fairness, one botched job was a body shop, the other job done by a non GM restoration individual. Neither were in a glass shop, able and willing to work on an older vehicle. Have seen so many botched urethane jobs on older cars, have to wonder if it is compatible with older vehicles. Will now need, at some point, to remove the urethaned in glass and redo with butyl tape. What a pain. Maybe urethane and butyl tape can be combined, have heard of that, also.

Last edited by daveschevyparts; Jun 30th, 19 at 5:32 PM.
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 19, 5:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Steve

I could easily get the 5/16 butyl tape and do it myself. But, I've read and been told it is inferior to urethane. And based on the butyl tape that just came out, I can't say they are wrong.

The one downside I've heard about urethane is the window is in too low. The trim will still fit but there will be a gap between trim and glass.

I did ask if they will use a 5/16 foam damn and then urethane. Or somehow ensure the height is 5/16 so the trim will fit correctly. They said yes. I guess I will find out.

post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 19, 5:29 PM
Tech Team

Yes would be advisable to get some sort of assurance that the shop knows what it is doing. Mainly that the glass will not be too close to the pinch weld window channel.
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 19, 6:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Steve

Agreed. The first thing I did was simply tell them that I had a '72 Chevelle that needed rear glas put in because it was leaking. Didn't lead the witness at all.

The guy seemed to know exactly what to do. Even said he could take the glass out for me and then I could take it away to have all the rust fixed lol.

I explained what it looked like in there, he said the old butyl had dried up and was leaking. He was right. He said he would reinstall with butyl or urethane whichever I preferred, but he prefers urethane. I mentioned I wanted to make sure the height was right and asked if they used a foam dam and urethane and he said yes.

I talked to him the other day to set up the appointment after I told him I got the window out. Told him I would clean up the rust and primer with some epoxy primer. He said that was perfect, he would then put urethane primer over that which is compatible with what the urethane company wants him to use. He is the guy who is actually going to install the glass.

He said he would get the height correct. I've got all new trim clips which will be installed when he gets the car. I'll leave the trim with him too and he can test fit it.

Like I said, we will see what happens. Hopefully he gets the height correct. He says he will. I'll make sure he knows it should be 5/16 high.

I would consider doing it myself with urethane. But I know I'll make a huge mess. This is one of the things I don't mind leaving to a professional. And he's the only glass installer that would touch my car in this area that I have found so far. So, not many choices.
LeoP likes this.

post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 19, 8:29 PM
Team Member
Pete

I pulled my Rear Glass when i was putting in Quarter-panels .
After the paint was done I brought the car to a real glass shop that has been in business for 40 years.
Had them remove the front glass, (got the speech that it could break, but it leaked, so it was worth the risk) and put the rear glass back in.
Also handed them a bag of correct new molding clips and the original chrome molding that I hand polished. (The re-pop molding didn't fit/look right when i tried to test fit it)
They let me hang out and watch while 2 guys that knew what they were doing did the job using Urethane. The rear was ready, but after pulling the front glass they cleaned it up and used some kind of epoxy rust inhibitors and used little blocks to set the height. Looks perfect.
$150 per side. Well worth it.
LeoP likes this.

LS Swap

post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 19, 11:31 PM
Team Member
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post

Besides, the breeze rolling through the car with no window is very refreshing.
Jeff, up north, depending on the month, that breeze can be more then "refreshing"

lucifershammer and Hotwire like this.

LS Swap

post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 19, 2:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Steve

Just to follow up on this - got the glass in, and it looks great.

I cleaned up the window channel pinch weld with a wire wheel, epoxy primered it and touched up a few minor spots with touch up paint the other day.

Today, I put on all new trim clips and took it down to the glass shop. He took his time and did a good job with the foam dam, urethane primer and urethane. Trim sits nice, height of glass appears about right. He also said that it should not leak and I should have no problems - but, if I do, give him a call and he will take care of it.

I'm happy with the result, and happy with the smoke grey tinted glass (I think I made the right choice there.)

First picture is after cleaning up the channel, second is just now with the glass in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Glass Out Prepped.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	597806   Click image for larger version

Name:	Glass in.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	597808  
Pioneer4x4, Kopfjaeger and Hotwire like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in