Paint Recommendations - Chevelle Tech
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 19, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Paint Recommendations

Hi, I have a 1972 Malibu with a vinyl top and live in the Omaha, Nebraska area. It has some rust that needed to be taken care of which I did. I am not auto body guy at all! But after completing that and priming it, the car looked really good. So, I figured I would try to paint it myself in my garage. Horrible decision! After multiple attempts of just trying to get an even uniform finish, I give up. Does anyone know or recommend someone in the area that could just spray the car and what a reasonable price would be? Since it has a vinyl top, I just need the lower portion painted. I’m not looking for a car show quality paint job. I just want it to look good enough not to be embarrassed while driving my daughters around in it and I want to protect it from future rust. Eventually I will get a good paint job, but for now I’m more interested in the mechanical side of it. Thanks for your time and any replies or suggestions you have for me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 19, 1:06 PM
Tech Team
Dan

Garage
Re: Paint Recommendations

Look at reviews for Maaco's in your area. If body work is done, and you are really just looking for someone to spray some color on a daily driver, that is kind of right up Maaco's alley. Paint is just crazy expensive these days. I have 3 Maacos within a fairly short drive, and 1 gets really good reviews, were as the others get so-so reviews.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 19, 1:20 PM
Tech Team

what color are you painting?do you want single or 2 stage paint,is the paint you shot still on it or have you sanded it back off?the more work into prep the more it will cost ya.and how much you want to spend?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 19, 3:10 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

That is what my dad did. He removed all the trim he could, bumpers/lights, everything. Then he sanded/primed/filled dings and drove it to a shop and had the color shot for a couple hundred bucks. It will not win any awards, ever. Well maybe "best use of $300 on a car!".

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 19, 8:03 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I could check out some of the Maaco’s in the area. I’ve just always heard bad things about them. It couldn’t hurt for me to call. I think I saw a $399 special going on.

As far as single stage or 2 stage, right now I would probably just go with the cheaper of the two. I’m much more interested in the mechanical aspects of the car. I just want it to look decent and prevent rust. It will never be a show car.

I know everyone may cringe when they hear this, but after the last failed attempt I said screw it and got a bunch of Plasti-Dip cans and dipped it black. The Plasti-Dip peels off very easy, so it wouldn’t take much for me to have it all primed and sanded again. Taking the grill and all back off is just a little time consuming. I considered just getting it looking good with primer and spraying it with primer sealer until I have it painted. I don’t drive it very often and never will in the rain, so I think it would be ok for a while. But, I don’t know what to do yet.

As far as how much I want to spend just for it to be sprayed with me doing all the prep, I would think maybe $500??? I may be totally off base. I just don’t know how much the paint and materials would cost in addition to the labor to do it. I have no clue when it comes to auto body and paint prices.

Thanks to all of you for your replies and keep them coming!!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 19, 8:06 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Sorry, I forgot to address color. Doing the body work, I found the Chevelle started out gold, then red, blue, white. I tried silver and now the Plasti-Dip is black. My wife and daughters love the black. I kind of liked the silver with black top, but I’d go with the silver or black.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 19, 8:56 PM
Senior Tech Team
Greg

Garage

dipyourcar.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in