Aluminum coating - Chevelle Tech
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 19, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Aluminum coating

I picked up some cheap Torq Thrust wheels from a guy when I first got my project. I guess he brought his car in to be detailed and they used an acid on the polished aluminum wheels. So they got stained and look like they've been soda blasted, like a milky finish, instead of high polish. It never really bothered me, but then a couple weeks ago I tried polishing them, saw the results, and got the itch to have a mirror finish . Problem is, lack of time and the rims are tough to polish given the curves of the spokes. I've tried some cones and different buffing wheels on the die grinder. the shine comes out uneven and doesn't look great. Any ideas on how to make them shine again? Keep in mind it looks like new Aluminum ones are roughly $160 each and remounting all four was $140. Wonder if some coating would be worth a shot or just save my pennies and time and order new ones. Any thoughts?

67 Chevelle 454, M21
Gen IV 454 (out of C30 ), 390 heads 1.88/2.19 valves by Vortecpro, with ISKY Hyd Roller cam (at 050 218 int./228 exh, lift 530 int./552 exh.), RPM performer intake, Fitech 600HP, Dougs headers, and M21, Gear Vendors OD, 3.73's, UMI Suspension, Viking coilovers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 19, 2:04 PM
Tech Team
Cody

Re: Aluminum coating

You may need to wetsand the wheels to get everything to a fairly consistent finish before polishing. Otherwise you could look into PVD chrome, basically a powdercoated chrome finish. American Racing uses it so you can see how it looks in most wheel stores.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 19, 2:12 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Re: Aluminum coating

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawkMC View Post
You may need to wetsand the wheels to get everything to a fairly consistent finish before polishing. Otherwise you could look into PVD chrome, basically a powdercoated chrome finish. American Racing uses it so you can see how it looks in most wheel stores.
I have PVD coated wheels on my grocery getter and really like them. And it looks like PVD coated torque thrust wheels are the same price as polished. I think I'll go that route, thanks!

67 Chevelle 454, M21
Gen IV 454 (out of C30 ), 390 heads 1.88/2.19 valves by Vortecpro, with ISKY Hyd Roller cam (at 050 218 int./228 exh, lift 530 int./552 exh.), RPM performer intake, Fitech 600HP, Dougs headers, and M21, Gear Vendors OD, 3.73's, UMI Suspension, Viking coilovers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in