Jack slipped... this sucks! - Chevelle Tech
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old May 31st, 19, 4:19 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Jack slipped... this sucks!

So my floor jack came out from under the car in rather dramatic fashion this morning. Happened so fast I’m not sure how or what caused it. Either way I’m left with some choice scratches in my car and a very small subtle wave in the fender. Nobody will touch the car around here, they just want insurance work. Feeling quite frustrated right about now. Any help or advice? I’m in the South King county area of Washington.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F03059ED-4099-426B-9B98-4957485E34F7_1559333948924.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	594830  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old May 31st, 19, 5:15 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage
Re: Jack slipped... this sucks!

I was lucky when mine slipped out from under the Chevelle, no damage to the car but the jack handle went clear through the garage door.
Pete 67 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old May 31st, 19, 5:26 PM
Senior Tech Team
jerry

That Blows. If it happened this morning, I'm not sure how you can say nobody in your area can cure that booboo. You need to resource, meaning shoulder tap at your local cruise ins, bodyshops (sidework), and personal leads. That color may be troublesome and may be a tough match. Looks like all your work is down low so if your not extremely anal, paint blending on the door shouldn't be needed.
Saltherring likes this.

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old May 31st, 19, 6:11 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I guess I meant to say the body shops around here won’t help. Doesn’t matter it’s just a simple scratch/dent, because it’s a 68, and not insurance work they won’t touch it. I have the paint for it left over from when the car was painted, so color match isn’t an issue. It’s metallic, so I’m not wanting to try this myself even though the body work side I think I could do.
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old May 31st, 19, 7:19 PM
Senior Tech Team

That sucks, but if you didn't get hurt, count your blessings.
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old May 31st, 19, 8:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ole

Garage

Bummer, but like Novadude said, at least you didn't get hurt...or I'm presuming you didn't. I've sold parts to a few guys in the South Sound area, but I can't say I really know any car guys from that area. I'd recommend you try what Jerry recommended and hit a few cruises and car shows in your area. There are guys who do small jobs on the side.

You may also want to try Yesterdays Chevelle Club. Sometimes Chevelle blood runs deep.
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old May 31st, 19, 8:26 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Where are you located?

Auto Upholstery Trimmer since 1977
Palo Alto Upholstery 650 326 6414
1967 Chevelle Super Sport 4sp.
1953 Chevy Bel Air 4 door.
1957 Chevy Bel Air 2 dr Hard Top.
1968 Chevy C20 CST Longbed.
1967 Malibu 396 Powerglide.
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old May 31st, 19, 9:18 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

PM sent
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old May 31st, 19, 9:53 PM
Team Member
Steve

I don't really know, but doesn't your comprehensive coverage on your policy cover that. Even though you did it, it's still an accident isn't it? Just a thought. Also, I am very sorry about your unfortunate event. I would just be sick. It reminds me of back in the day when I backed up my Chevelle into the left front fender of my 69 Corvette. Not a good day, it made me sick to my stomach.
Steve R likes this.
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old May 31st, 19, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I’m sure my insurance would cover it, the problem is (at the moment) finding someone to do it. Classic cars seem to be off the menu for all the body shops around here. I’m going to have to try finding somebody who paints on the side or does it privately. If it wasn’t a metallic paint I may try it myself despite never doing it before.
post #11 of 54 (permalink) Old May 31st, 19, 10:26 PM
Tech Team

If you have any classic car dealers in the area maybe go by and ask them if they know any paint and body guys...

Man that sure sucks. Sorry that happened.

Your 68 color looks close to mine too..
post #12 of 54 (permalink) Old May 31st, 19, 10:50 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

I canít help with your question, but could you please give details on just what happened? Iíve always been afraid of floor jacks and rarely use one without a jack stand ready to slide into place. Iíve never seen one pop out from under a car. My fear has always been that the hydraulics would fail causing a sudden collapse.

However it happened, Iím sorry that you have to deal with this damage.
blm likes this.
post #13 of 54 (permalink) Old May 31st, 19, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

The floor jack was under the section of the frame behind the drivers front wheel. I was jacking it up to get a jack stand under it and it just shot backwards. It happened in a split second! I figured this was the first and last time for this so I ordered a quick jack setup. It’ll pick the whole car up safely a little over 20” or so and hold it until released. I’ve looked at these for a while and just never wanted to spend the $1300 on one. Guess I shouldn’t have waited or this would never have happened.
post #14 of 54 (permalink) Old May 31st, 19, 11:08 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Allen

I feel bad for you, just seeing it makes me wince. Glad you didn't get hurt as well and best of luck getting it corrected.
post #15 of 54 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 19, 1:00 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Take it to a restoration shop. Never take a classic to a collision shop. You are correct in all they want is insurance work where they change some parts and beat the clock. The restoration shops around here are $100.00 per hour give or take but most do good work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in