Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 54 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 19, 7:13 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage
Re: Jack slipped... this sucks!

Can you post a picture of the jack? Maybe it is faulty, and we would know what to avoid.
shovelrick likes this.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 54 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 19, 7:54 AM
Tech Team

Garage

I usually jack the whole front or whole rear at one time. Always under the center section. Then the jack stands go under the frame rails on the sides. If on the jack stands and on the frame rails, if you have a big block, don't open the doors. The reveal closes up and the paint scuffs. Think allot of folks use the shock mount or a arms for jack stand placement so this doesn't occur, and it supports the vehicle farther forward. At least you weren't hurt, so that is a plus.
lucifershammer likes this.

66 SS-396/425 - M22 -3:73 -12 bolt
USN-SSBN 645-G
post #18 of 54 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 19, 8:34 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djh69 View Post
I figured this was the first and last time for this so I ordered a quick jack setup.
Do you mean a "Kwik Lift"? If not what is a quick jack?

Not that far fetched that the jack was spit out. If using on an area of the frame that is not perfectly flat and the jack having wheels on it. Anyone who has never had a jack slip has possibly never used a jack enough. Probably helps to have some anti slip material between jack head and jacking surface.
boyd66k20 likes this.

post #19 of 54 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 19, 8:34 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djh69 View Post
The floor jack was under the section of the frame behind the drivers front wheel. I was jacking it up to get a jack stand under it and it just shot backwards. It happened in a split second! I figured this was the first and last time for this so I ordered a quick jack setup. It’ll pick the whole car up safely a little over 20” or so and hold it until released. I’ve looked at these for a while and just never wanted to spend the $1300 on one. Guess I shouldn’t have waited or this would never have happened.
So the jack cradle just slipped away from the frame?

I too have been eyeing the Quick Jack setup for a while. Seems like a good system.
post #20 of 54 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 19, 8:36 AM
Tech Team

I hear ya. I work alone in a shop that's separate from the house and far enough away no one could hear me scream so I am deathly afraid of jack or jackstand collapse so I made wooden cribs for each wheel. They are cheap to build and you can make them at different heights for different tasks. The jack only gets used in the middle of the car.
post #21 of 54 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 19, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

This is the model I bought. Looks well made and reviewed. https://www.quickjack.com/car-lift-s...-car-lift.html
post #22 of 54 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 19, 10:41 AM
Senior Tech Team
jerry

Watched the video of the quickjack and have a couple concerns. Lots of moving joints that would require constant inspection...failure on 1 point means that corner of the car goes down in a hurry. Lots of pinch points which just require being smart to not getting hurt. 2 moving jacks working in unison would possibly move at different rates as things wear. Still need a jack stand because there are NO positive locks like a garage lift would have. takes up a lot of garage space. Yeah, I agree with the critics, I'd never have one of these in my shop.
For me, the best and safest jack is a quality floor jack in the center of the car, usually under the rear pumpkin or center of the K member, then 2 jack stands, one per side. Never use a jack on a corner of the car, it'll stress the car beyond my comfort zone.
No chance of jack spitting out if the cup of the jack was positioned correctly. I use a small section of jute padding covering the cup so it won't skid and won't scar the paint.
post #23 of 54 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 19, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

It does have positive locks. Also they produced a video loading this lift with 16,000 pounds of steel and it didn’t break. Regardless, I’ll lift my car with it and still use jack stands at the corners as a failsafe.
cheveslakr likes this.
post #24 of 54 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 19, 12:36 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

For the amount they want for the Quick Jack, that is Kwik Lift territory. Even more if one picks up a used Qwik Lift. I paid $600.00 for mine and it is in great shape. No moving or hydraulic parts to wear out or inspect and it is more versatile. I removed my entire 12 bolt/axle/brake assembly while car was on Qwik Lift. Plus it allows the entire underside of the car open for jobs. When not being used just collapse and park on top of it.
post #25 of 54 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 19, 1:07 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

That sucks that that happened to you,but you might consider a low rise scissor lift ? These are low height lifts that use a hydraulic pump that are around the same price or maybe a couple hundred bucks or so more than a quick jack.They are stronger and some are just as portable, so you may want to look into one of these types instead of the quick jack.
Lifts similar to this one:

https://jmcautomotiveequipment.com/t...oaAhLVEALw_wcB

There are other lifts out there,you need to shop around.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
post #26 of 54 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 19, 1:31 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I already ordered the Quick jack, but that’s a nice lift too. The lifting and safety is sorted out, now to find someone to repair the damage. I need this to get fixed ASAP. Got one call in to a local guy, we’ll see what happens.
post #27 of 54 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 19, 6:05 PM
Gold Member
Freddy

Sorry to hear this. Don't get down bro, it'll all work out in the long run...

Freddy
post #28 of 54 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 19, 11:30 PM
Senior Tech Team
Terry

These are pretty interesting. Anyone have them?
https://myliftstand.com/video/
post #29 of 54 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 19, 7:13 AM
Tech Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryAT View Post
That looks like a great idea. I use the wood cribbing and the storage is a problem. Going to check on price and will get back. Nice and safe.

66 SS-396/425 - M22 -3:73 -12 bolt
USN-SSBN 645-G
post #30 of 54 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 19, 8:29 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryAT View Post
That is a good idea. Two cautions come to mind. One needs plenty of space around the perimeter of the vehicle in order to raise the vehicle. They could not be user in my 2 car garage because of center post. Also would probably not use them as there is no way to chalk vehicle when elevated on stands. Making them somewhat unsafe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in