Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 19, 4:28 PM Thread Starter
Dan

Re: Primer/Paint Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevt_chevelle View Post
Is that SEM trim black in a spray can? Why not get a flattened single stage urethane.
SPI offers SS black in various sheens if I recall.
I picked up a quart for a spray gun. I gave it a shot after doing some searches and it sounded like it was pretty close to original and a cheaper price. I just looked at the SPI flat black SS coatings now... looks like they sell them by the gallon that can be mixed at different ratios, so dishing out nearly $200 for trim paint was a bit out of my budget at the moment, since all I need it for are small parts for now. I'll be needing the single stage stuff for when I do the underside of the hood, core, and inner fenders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 19, 6:52 PM
Tech Team
Tom

Garage

Do your research on the products and pick one manufacturer,stick with their products thru out your paint job. Later on if there is a failure,it won't be because of incompatible components and your paint company won't have any excuse not to stand behind their products correctly applied.Ask me how I know.Each paint company has the proper products to use within their system and they will stand by them,I don't intermix paints and products from different companies.I feel safer using their dedicated products made to work together.To me it isn't worth the risk of failure for a few dollars of savings compared to the high cost of materials in todays market place.It will cost a lot to do a rework down the road.Just my .02 cents,but with 30 years of body shop ownership behind my reasons.Good luck,Tom..
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 19, 11:24 PM
Senior Tech Team
Greg

Garage

I had an almost perfect Kandy House of kolor paint job done in 2007 on my 69 Chevelle until now, now any body filler that was put on bare metal has lifted.

"A Nation of Sheep will beget a Government of Wolves." Edward R. Murrow
“The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury.” – George Washington

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 19, 10:59 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Garage
Send a message via AIM to BlueSS454

I’ve been using Utech E350 epoxy and 2K100 urethane primer for years. They are both great primers and a reasonable cost IMO.
For topcoats, I’ve been using PPG dealers, Deltron base and DCU2021 clear.

Tom Rightler, MCC VP & Newsletter Editor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Best ET: [email protected] MPH

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 19, 1:31 PM
Senior Tech Team
Greg

Garage

Two weeks ago I decided to strip the back panel because I had some lifting and I could repair that without doing the whole car, The girl that owns the paint supply store in my area mixed me up 4 ounces of Global star satin black single stage urethane.
I sprayed 4 coats on top of Matrix epoxy and am very pleased the way it turned out, she also said most of the body shops around are using this stuff for a base coat and Matrix clear coat to save money.

https://www.lusidtechnologies.com/globalstar

Turns out they are a sub of Lucid technologies.

"A Nation of Sheep will beget a Government of Wolves." Edward R. Murrow
“The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury.” – George Washington

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in