• 1 Post By pcguy
  • 1 Post By pcguy
  • 2 Post By pcguy

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 19, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Nick

dash cover finish recommendations

Have been tied up with lots of health and home maintenance stuff and haven't made much progress, but now that taxes are behind us and the weather is a bit warmer, I'm back at my restomod project (link below).

The dash cover is a very complicated part of the project -- 5 inches of the leading edge of the plastic and all the accompanying structure were removed/rerouted. That combined with the repair of the airbag & HUD openings and the proper method of finishing final surface has me writing this thread so that I get all the opinions before I f this up... LOL

As you can see in the last photo, I have figured out how to weld the plastic (TPE, TPE & TPO are now considered the same??), well kind of anyway; it will look better when sanded.

Was thinking that after I get the top and bottom structurally prepared that I would prime and do a flat black stipple to somewhat match the rest of the dash and door panels. My test of this looked pretty good, but I also have checked out having a leather wrap.

Here are some pics and look forward to your comments, opinions and of course, criticisms.

Nick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0427190925i.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	592624   Click image for larger version

Name:	0427190926i.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	592626   Click image for larger version

Name:	0428191431ai.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	592628  
deserttaco likes this.

Here's a link to my 2014 Camaro SS donor to 70 Malibu restomod project:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 19, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Nick

Re: dash cover finish recommendations

Here's one more pic of the now contoured filler piece to match the A-pillar (also modified to support the new dash contour). All tacked in with my new found welding technique. HAHA

Nick
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0428191430ai.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	592630  
123pugsy likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 19, 12:34 PM
Tech Team
Pugsy

Good stuff. What is this welding technique you speak of?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 19, 2:20 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
Good stuff. What is this welding technique you speak of?

All of my searching on this lead me to ideas and methods that most of the plastic bumpers, door panels and dash covers can be welded in a variety of ways -- from the fairly expensive fusion air blast process to the cheap Harbor Freight glorified soldering gun (which is what I used).
Here’s a link: https://www.harborfreight.com/80-watt-iron-plastic-welding-kit-60662.html
and a search link for similar stuff: https://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?dir=asc&order=EAScore%2Cf%2CEAFeatured+Weight%2Cf %2CSale+Rank%2Cf&q=plastic+weld

Here's a link to some YouTube videos:

And a link to a product use page -- not what I used:
https://www.polyvance.com/Textured-Plastic-Bumper-Repair?p=69
Another couple of links to YouTube searches on dash repair and welding TPO:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=epoxy+dash+repair
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=welding+plastic+with+solderin g+iron
And a good one for bumper repair, but the same process for dash, etc...
123pugsy and mymalibubu72 like this.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 19, 9:18 PM
Tech Team
Pugsy

Good stuff.

Thanks for the links.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old May 24th, 19, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Nick

Thought you might like to hear about some discoveries I made in my attempts to solidify a design for the door panel conversion and the finish of dash cover.

First of all, have not been able to find a full service interior shop that is willing to do any kind of plastic or fiberglass fabrication. Even one guy who bills himself as someone that does custom dashes said he limits his work to simple projects. And one other guy who bills himself as a plastic welder (even has his business card passed out by the local Tap Plastics shop) was too busy to even do a test on the type of plastic involved in my project.

FTR, most interior plastic parts in GM cars (and maybe others) is called thermoplastic olefin (TPO). The TPO reference is found on the inside of the parts next to the part number as part of the casting.

Turns out that Tap Plastics sells varying thicknesses of ABS in sheet form and that ABS and TPO both respond really well to plastic welding and to the application of a particular brand of superglue - DURO, which I believe is made by Loctite.

So I bought some 3/32" ABS for the new stock on the door panels and I am gluing and welding away on the parts that will be mechanically fastened to the panels after the application of the leather.

Some bondo and fiberglass at the end and some textured paint. If the end result does not look like what I want, I'll have the fabbed parts leather wrapped when the rest of the interior is done.

Looks like I may have to get into someone's cue because these guys are months out for a full interior. Just have not found the right company. Would like to know of any recommended shop that is in the SF North Bay.

Nick
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0523190849_HDR.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	594250   Click image for larger version

Name:	0510191205a.jpg
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	594252   Click image for larger version

Name:	0510191205.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	594254  

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old May 25th, 19, 12:20 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
terry

I used to be a plastic welder in the past. If you just seam the joints, it isn't very strong. You need to float the seams on the back with some material with the welder you use. The one like in the video, ( I didn't look at it) uses filler rods, or you can use a (mucho bucks) extrusion type welder. It will look better if you have it wrapped, as it is almost impossible to get a matching finish from the grain of the panel and the prepped seam...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old May 30th, 19, 5:27 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Nick

Design and plan as you go has a lot of drawbacks, especially if you want the door panel to match the ends of the dash with that 1/4" gap in between when the door is closed. Getting close to having a finished panel that will make the passenger side a whole lot simpler. Here are some pics:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0527191807a.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	594744   Click image for larger version

Name:	0529191501.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	594746   Click image for larger version

Name:	0530191329_HDR.jpg
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	594748   Click image for larger version

Name:	0530191330.jpg
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	594750  

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 19, 4:33 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Nick

Really hard to get to the end of this panel. Here are a couple of pics with the armrest/controls re-fabbed. The second pic is what it looks like when you apply wax paper to the fresh resin/fiberglass. Note that the mirror controls got moved.

Having real issues with the speaker location and how the as yet purchased power regulator may interfere with its protrusion. Will start a new thread and post a link here.

Nick
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0603191027.jpg
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	595434   Click image for larger version

Name:	0609191124~2.jpg
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	595436  

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 19, 4:49 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Nick

Here's the other thread:
https://www.chevelles.com/forums/12-...l#post11092038

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 19, 6:11 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Terry

Going to be pretty sweet when it's done , Nick. Terry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in