64 El Camino Dash Repair - Chevelle Tech
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 19, 7:56 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Weldon

64 El Camino Dash Repair

My 64 Elky's dash and windshield channel are rusted terribly, to the point that the upper dash is about 1/3 gone. Some previous owner had tried to put fiberglass matting in the area but it didn't work and actually seems to have agravated the problem. You can see where the fiberglass was laid on the upper dash with rusty results.
I have searched high and low for patch panels for that upper dash area with no luck.
The whole dash panel is available for 66 and 67's, but nothing for the 64-65.
My question is has anyone either found patch panels for a 64-65, or has anyone tried to graft a 66 or 67 dash upper panel into a 64?
Could that work since there is so much difference in the two.
I know the defrost vent will not work but I'm just trying to figure this out before I screw something up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190314_172901.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	589320   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190314_172937.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	589322   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190314_172934.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	589324  

Weldon

64 El Camino
67 Mercury Cougar
66 Chrysler 300
2011 Harley Davidson TriGlide

Team Chevelle #5157
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 19, 10:52 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Re: 64 El Camino Dash Repair

A friend repaired the dash on his 65 with a repair panel but I think it only went up just to the defroster vent. You may have to use a repair panel combined with a donor dash for the upper part, unless your fabrication skills are good.
wihaltom likes this.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 19, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Weldon

That's the problem.
I've searched for a donor dash but haven't had any luck finding one.
I really don't think the 66 dash idea is any good, but it was a possibility.
I may be better off to just get some metal and fabricate what I need.
I'm just not sure what to do about that defroster vent area.
I don't have any way to fab those louvered areas.

Weldon

64 El Camino
67 Mercury Cougar
66 Chrysler 300

Team Chevelle #5157

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 19, 9:13 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Maybe contact someone like desert valley auto parts for a donor dash. I once bought an entire shell of a car from them instead of repairing the rust bucket I had.
wihaltom and Hotwire like this.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 19, 6:44 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Weldon

I just got off the phone with Desert Valley and they have exzactly what I need. Its kinda pricey, but I need it so that's that. He told me they will cut much more metal area than I need and will send me pictures before and after the cut is made. I really enjoyed talking with the guy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08767.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	589526  
RAIDER SS and Hotwire like this.

Weldon

64 El Camino
67 Mercury Cougar
66 Chrysler 300

Team Chevelle #5157
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 19, 7:30 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Wow, guess I'll quit complaining about all the rust in my car. I'd just replaced the lower windshield channel, wasn't fun but learned a lot from it.

If your dash is rusted out that bad, check the lower portion of the dash by your knees w/ the brace / 90 degrees along the bottom. Mine was pretty well ate up there, so much so that I have rust holes in my ash tray. Might be better to get the whole dash from Valley instead of just the top. It'd be a much easier job.

When you replace the lower windshield channel you'll have to remove the fenders to get at the screws holding the a-pillar covers on. Be sure to put a bead of seam sealer between the windshield channel and firewall top lip to seal it like factory.

Good luck!

*Jeff*

Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
LQ4 / T56 Swap
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 19, 9:08 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by wihaltom View Post
I just got off the phone with Desert Valley and they have exzactly what I need. Its kinda pricey, but I need it so that's that. He told me they will cut much more metal area than I need and will send me pictures before and after the cut is made.
"kinda pricey" is what to expect since cutting out this large piece will pretty much destroy a lot of other good areas on that car in their yard. Quite understandable IMHO

Congrats on finding what you need, and its great you are going to save another Chevelle!
wihaltom likes this.

66 Malibu......on it's way back to life as a BB
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 19, 9:10 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Weldon

This old El camino has a lot of sentimental attachment for me.
My late wife found it for me and our plan was to rebuild it and go on Power Tour together in it.
Didn't work out that way.
Now, I have so much time and LOTS of money tied up in it, I just have to finish it.
Clint44 and davewho1 like this.

Weldon

64 El Camino
67 Mercury Cougar
66 Chrysler 300

Team Chevelle #5157
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 19, 9:19 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Weldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
Wow, guess I'll quit complaining about all the rust in my car. I'd just replaced the lower windshield channel, wasn't fun but learned a lot from it.

If your dash is rusted out that bad, check the lower portion of the dash by your knees w/ the brace / 90 degrees along the bottom. Mine was pretty well ate up there, so much so that I have rust holes in my ash tray. Might be better to get the whole dash from Valley instead of just the top. It'd be a much easier job.

When you replace the lower windshield channel you'll have to remove the fenders to get at the screws holding the a-pillar covers on. Be sure to put a bead of seam sealer between the windshield channel and firewall top lip to seal it like factory.

Good luck!
I wondered what kind of sealer I needed to use in that joint.
I had PM'ed another member here to ask that question.
The original sealer, I was told, was some kind of foam.
The lower portion of the dash is very clean. Firewall is solid, too.
The good thing is I'm getting the complete dash so even if I need to replace it all, I'll have it.
Thanks.

Weldon

64 El Camino
67 Mercury Cougar
66 Chrysler 300

Team Chevelle #5157
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 19, 4:42 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wihaltom View Post
I just got off the phone with Desert Valley and they have exzactly what I need. Its kinda pricey, but I need it so that's that. He told me they will cut much more metal area than I need and will send me pictures before and after the cut is made. I really enjoyed talking with the guy.

Glad you found what you needed, but looking at that pic, unless the passenger side is wrecked, it seems like such a waste for that car to be sitting in a scrapyard. I digress...
wihaltom likes this.

64 2 door Wagon Build thread

67 2 door Sedan LS1 T56

post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 19, 6:10 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Weldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete 67 View Post
Glad you found what you needed, but looking at that pic, unless the passenger side is wrecked, it seems like such a waste for that car to be sitting in a scrapyard. I digress...
I'm not certain that that is the car that the dash will be taken from, but that's the picture he sent me.
On their website, they have categories for Project Cars and Parts Cars.
This is one of the parts cars.
Some of the project cars looked pretty good.

Weldon

64 El Camino
67 Mercury Cougar
66 Chrysler 300

Team Chevelle #5157
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 19, 9:18 PM

Call this guy he has nothing but Chevelles. I buy lots of parts from him he is in Alvarado Texas, near Fort Worth. He might be able to ship?

contact name:
Gerald
(817) 790-2480

Last edited by Texaskid7; Mar 22nd, 19 at 9:19 PM. Reason: Misspelled words
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 19, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Weldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texaskid7 View Post
Call this guy he has nothing but Chevelles. I buy lots of parts from him he is in Alvarado Texas, near Fort Worth. He might be able to ship?

contact name:
Gerald
(817) 790-2480
Thanks for the information.
I've already made the agreement to buy the dash from Desert Valley, but it's always good to have other sources for parts.

Weldon

64 El Camino
67 Mercury Cougar
66 Chrysler 300

Team Chevelle #5157
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 19, 9:01 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

I'd used seam sealer on the top lip of the firewall, seems to be working fine so far. The only worry I had was it bridging over to the dash side of the firewall and causing problems when I spot welded. I kept the bead towards the engine side of the firewall lip, worked like a champ.

This is what I used, pretty easy to work with, but gets everywhere if you aren't careful. Worked well on sealing up the firewall overlaps in the engine bay and smoothed out some.

https://www.autozone.com/sandpaper-a...ulk/167027_0_0

If you look in the mirror you can see the bead that formed when I clamped the pieces together for welding (seam sealer is light gray):

This was the start of my hotrod education and how people don't do their jobs. The dash was ate up, they covered it up with body filler and pieces of scrap metal. This is also when I realized I had to pull the front end apart to pull the a-pillar covers. It was an expensive education..

Here's a close up of the foam, I had no idea what it was, so went with seam sealer. The foam was on the passenger side of the firewall, I went on the engine side.. same difference? Also note, there's divots, or wells in the firewall lip, those are so you can install windshield trim clips and the screws don't penetrate the firewall. You need to somehow mark their location so that when you go to screw or rivet trim clips back into place you know where they go. Another lesson I learned too late..

If you're doing the work yourself, take notes:

-Mark where the trim clips and tack welds are so you can put it back like stock.
-If you are doing the work, shield your vent windows/crank windows with cardboard, welding/grinding has left their mark on mine. A blind person can read my vent window now.
-don't throw anything away until you're done!! I'm still sorting through buckets finding little screws that I thought were insignificant.
-get a front end fastener kit from Speedway Motors. You'll be cutting the heads off more bolts than using a wrench for on the front fenders/wheelwells, this will take a little bit of the stress out of the operation.

Good luck!!
davewho1 likes this.

*Jeff*

Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 19, 1:51 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Weldon

I wish I had taken a picture of the mess I found when I removed the windshield.
Some P.O.(S) had tried to fill the rusted area with fiberglass mat and what looked like roofing black mastic. I'm still cleaning that crap up!!
I have used that same seam sealer when I was finishing the floor pan installation.
It worked great so I can see where it would work for the cowl repair.
I have marked the replacement windshield channel for the trim clip locations already.
I wanted to do that before I started cutting it out.
I also saved all the clips and their screws and have them put away.
I'll need some new clips to replace bent ones, but that's to be expected.
That front end fastener kit is a great idea.
I didn't have much trouble when I removed the inner fenders with rusted bolts, but you never know.
Thanks for the tips.

Weldon

64 El Camino
67 Mercury Cougar
66 Chrysler 300

Team Chevelle #5157
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in