Help with finding a Good painter/shop in Sacramento - Chevelle Tech
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 19, 7:43 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Help with finding a Good painter/shop in Sacramento

Hey all,

My 64' Chevelle is getting close to paint-ready. I am finishing up a good bit of welding (quarters and emblem/ trim holes), car is already media blasted and shot in black epoxy, does anyone know a great paint shop in Sacramento, CA? (Within an hour) Ive just been hitting a couple places on Yelp, but I know there are some gems or private painters around.

With that said, what's a black 2 stage job with moderate blocking go for these days? I know it varies GREATLY. $2k-10k

(Great to excellent paint for driving - not show car) PPG or something similar...

Thanks! Look forward to a few responses.

1964 Chevelle Hardtop/ non post
383/430hp - 700R4 - Stock 10bolt - 3.08's
Former Chevelles.com member as: Feedphillipnow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 19, 12:05 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage
Re: Help with finding a Good painter/shop in Sacramento

Need to wait a few weeks or months, but I'd hit the local cruise-ins, and start asking car owners who did their paint, and then go from there...

Personally, I only know of a few "moderate" jobs... I had a nice "cruise nite" job on my '70, but the place closed a few years later... MAACO on Watt (North Highlands, near McClellan Air Park), used to do classic cars, and I have met a lot of people that had cars painted there, but not sure on the price or the overall quality (nicer than a typical MAACO job)...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

Sold

&

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 19, 3:42 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I am familiar with the MAACO on Watt, I've heard that they were pretty good with classic cars, I think I spoke to the manager 10+ years ago with another car, but ended up hiring a private painter with a booth. I may stop in there next week and feel them out. Good call on cruise and show season, I'll ask around. And with black, I know it's a challenge to do right, and keep clean. I've always had pearl white on the back burner of thought... hmm.

1964 Chevelle Hardtop/ non post
383/430hp - 700R4 - Stock 10bolt - 3.08's
Former Chevelles.com member as: Feedphillipnow

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 19, 12:40 AM
Tech Team
Rich

The Maaco on Watt used to be very good. They did a 72 Elco for my son around 2010 or 2011. Excellent job with hood stripes. The guy that ran it was real interested in painting older cars and did a nice job. But then that Maaco was sold to some one else. I went to them with a 69 Chevelle in late 2015 and was less than impressed with the new management. Paint was just ok with lots of blems. They have moved from the original location on Watt down toward Madison. I would not use them again. Look up a place called Nice Twice in North Highlands. Not far from the Maaco location.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 19, 1:24 AM
Team Member
Mike

Call Dan Brown: 916-705-2602. He painted my 65. No issues.

Mike

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 19, 8:41 PM
Team Member
Jake

Any updates @alwaysavacado ? I'm in Orangevale - curious about what you have found.

66 Chevelle Malibu
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 19, 12:28 PM
Tech Team

Depending on your budget I’ve seen good cars come from miracle in Pleasanton. And I had my 71 done at Maaco in Antioch which is about a hour from sac. If you’re looking to win a show, don’t do maaco. But if you want a nice looking affordable cruiser they may be an option. Im extremely happy with mine. The manager of the Antioch maaco used to run a custom shop and he does good work, but he doesn’t sell
You the illusion that you’re getting a candy paint job.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	39206BA5-432E-4D8A-8E9E-945602EB0CD6_1551202041727.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	587552   Click image for larger version

Name:	FF089FDE-968F-4B6E-A869-3B0889CD23F5_1551202103539.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	587554  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 19, 2:09 PM
Tech Team
Rick

You can lower your costs by doing all of the trim and other reconstruction on the vehicle after they paint it.

Back in the fall of last year, I spent a little over $3300 here in Louisiana for a very nice but not show winning paint at a place that primarily does auto crash accident insurance work. They did insurance work on other cars and threw bits of time at my EC to keep the paint job cost low - took three weeks to get my "trar" back but they did a nice job.

My point here is to ask around. You will find a balance here on cost, quality and schedule eventually that can be very pleasing.

Rick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 504 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.