Fresh frame off - - Squeaks = crazy - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 19, 12:00 PM
Tech Team
Stan

Re: Fresh frame off - - Squeaks = crazy

I feel your pain, same thing happened to me, did a meticulous frame-off on a 64 Impala SS and it looked like a gasser when finally completed. I was some %#@&'d off. Knowing the solution involved messing up all my hard work, I decided to heat the coils first, just as an experiment, before starting the spring replacement process. I needed to come down a good 1 1/2" so I put blocks 1" below the frame and heated the coils just in one spot with a plumbers torch and let it sink till it hit the blocks. Pulled out the blocks and the full weight dropped it another 1/2" -money! Certainly not a daily driver, but had that car for at least 8 years before I sold it and the stance remained perfect.
hydro462 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 19, 12:17 PM
Team Member
Bill

Garage

I ordered my Moog springs from Jegs and yes installing the front 17 inch height springs were a bitch to install even with a spring compressor. However spring weight is calculated for either a big block or small block but back in the 60's everything changed the spring rate so getting it perfect might be a trial. Mine were ordered as big blocks (my car is a 1968 L79 327) because I also have factory AC which is rather heavy. You can see that I sit a little high on the front but still have to add grills, bumpers, interiors, etc. which will help to drop it down. Also all bushings, control arms and sway bars should be tightened with body weight on the tires. I will loosen and re-tighten mine after all the parts are installed in my car and then I will have it aligned. To me your rear looks too low as well but that might be because the front is up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chevelles stance.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	583080  
hydro462 likes this.
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 19, 1:31 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Another thing to consider with front springs are changes that might lighten it up from original. For example, aluminum intake,headers, aluminum heads, aluminum water pump. My car has factory springs for a 350 auto with AC. Now has a 454 4speed with some of the above weight reduction upgrades.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F18A0299-3882-4168-A7A2-15C1779D33A7_1547231397419.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	583088  
hydro462 likes this.

Team Chevelle Member (20 years and counting...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'72 Chevelle Convertible (Mohave Gold) (all SS options, no SS badging)

2004 Pontiac GTO (Quicksilver) RIP April 2013
--> Replaced with 2004 Pontiac GTO (Barbados Blue)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche (Sunset Orange Metallic)

post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 19, 11:31 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Terry

Nice car, Brian! Terry
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 19, 1:12 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
the final tightening of suspension bushings should be done with the car sitting on the suspension, not with the suspension drooping freely. As someone mention, it can also settle with time.
Agreed. I spaced that part..torqued them down, got it all together.
Then cut my springs to where I wanted it to be. Never seen a spring "settle" but maybe this did. Or things settled where it wanted to be cause I torqued it down wrong.
Too low!!

Get some hotchkiss springs, leave the sway bar on. Could this guy drill/tap some holes so he can use a grease gun on his bushings?
As said if its stiff now cutting the springs will only make it worse. NEVER torch them.

Quote:
Freedom is not caring what others think of you
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 19, 10:55 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Best to call Marc Savitske at SC&C..
Contact | Savitske Classic & Custom

He is one of us...

Frankly I'd torch them and see what happens.. If that doesn't work, try new 2" lowering springs from either SPC or BMR.. lol
post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 19, 7:51 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Keith

Garage

I found that aftermarket springs invariably raised the car an inch or two every time we used them. Polygraphite bushings didn't seem to squeak. Straight poly urethane drove us crazy. In the GM service manual is a page where you calculate the base weight of the car plus all options and that gave you the proper spring. GM had quite a few springs where the aftermarket doesn't give much of a variety.
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 19, 11:18 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Devin

Garage

If you spend some time digging on Moogís website, youíll find that there are at least 10 if not 20 front springs designed for a 64-67 GM A-body. One of them will work for you and last time I bought a set they were only about $50. Changing front springs isnít fun, and be careful, but itís much better than heating them.

Devin

Just an El Camino

Son's build:

My never-ending project:
post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 19, 5:13 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Curt

Garage

Thank you all. The Hotchkis sway bar (front) has a grease fitting and it is greased. The rear does not. The Springs are in their seat correctly, and I did set the car on the ground before torqueing the control arms. I have not re-torqued anything. I will do that next along with the sheet metal. The whole tail end of the car has been rebuilt, both quarters, (had to buy hardtop quarters and save the piece of the quarter panel above the quarter glass and get it lined up. I had some veterans help with that part. I didn't know about the gas tank rubber. I think I did that wrong if it goes above the tank. I will look at that.
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 19, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Curt

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
When I put new springs in my Chevelle it sat high but settled slightly after some miles. When you mentioned squeaks, first thing I thought was poly bushings, but you are running rubber. I don't think you are supposed to grease them.

As for the springs, the difference between a small block & big block is about 150 lbs, pretty significant. There has to be small block vs. big block springs. If you shorten your coils it will ride stiffer because there is less wire length to twist (coil springs are essentially coiled torsion bars). It sucks, but IMHO you should replace the springs and really spec them out. Today it isn't like when these cars were new and had specific springs based on engine, options & body style, but they should at least offer specific springs in standard & h.d. for small blocks, big blocks, and sixes. If not, damn those spring companies are getting lazy.

You did put the gas tank anti-squeak straps on top of the tank, not under the straps underneath, right? I've seen it done wrong hundreds if not thousands of times and it gets old.

Convertibles are noisier and have more body flex, so it could be a contributing factor. I wonder if you need to re-torque the body mounts?

Very nice looking '65 BTW
Hey Cam, Thank you. No I put the anti squeak strips under the tank, above the straps. I will change that. One down.
I'm wondering if maybe I should leave the one there and add one above the tank?
Thanks again!
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 19, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Curt

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy67 View Post
Haven't done a frame off yet si I cant help you much there, The springs that come as HD are usually for a heavier BB car and in addition to contributing to a harsher ride will not allow the front to sit where it should. Heating springs is not the best way to get the correct or desired ride height. Heat will damage the springs and introduce a lot of variation in height and spring rate. I am not a fan of cutting springs either as it will get you to your desired ride height but increase the spring rate resulting in an even harsher ride. I would bite the bullet and opt for another set of springs from a place like UMI (that is what I have). They are not really expensive and once the heavy duty ones are out the UMI ones are shorter and much easier to install. No spring compressor needed for the install.
Hey Kevin,
Are you referring to UMI coil springs or UMI Coil over shocks? Thanks for the compliment.
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 19, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Curt

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
Curt, very nice looking 65. Think it is sitting way too high. Give the guys at UMI a call and see what they say or you can just browse their website for a look see . I'm thinking different springs are in order. By the way Summit Racing sells UMI products or you can buy direct from UMI.
Thanks Brad
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 19, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Curt

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickeyChevelle View Post
Like Chris said: Grease 'em. Use lots of the special goop for poly, lots and lots of it.
Thanks Chris and Bruce,
I think my front end bushings are Polygraphite. I'm digging through my copy paper sized box of receipts looking for the receipt. I think I got them from PST. Do you know if Polygraphite gets regular or special grease? I see a couple posts where people say yes and a couple say just use regular grease.
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 19, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Curt

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry66 View Post
Did you follow the recommended torque specs when you installed your suspension parts? And did you torque everything down with all of the vehicle's weight on the wheels, so that all of the suspension parts were in their normal "resting" position at the time? If not, this might be problem behind your squeaks. It would be easy to correct, just get the car up on ramps or on a 4 post lift, and loosen & re-torque all the control arm bolts, sway bar bushings, and anything else that moves.

For the springs, look at it this way. Your options are to either cut them shorter or to replace them with a different spring, but no matter what you'll have to remove them. Since you'll have to take things apart, might as well just replace the springs. It sucks to buy parts twice, but they are relatively inexpensive. UMI's 1" lowering springs will put your front end just a hair lower than factor ride height and would make your stance look much better.

The rest of the car looks great BTW!
Thanks Bryan!
I torqued everything on the front end on the parts that had specs. I put the car back on the ground before final tightening.

When the car was still white (before the frame off) I replaced the front end parts with Auto Zone stuff. It was loose after about 700 miles so when I did the frame off I replaced everything with Hotchkis/Pro-forged parts. Much tighter.
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 19, 1:09 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Curt

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72soft-top View Post
Another thing to consider with front springs are changes that might lighten it up from original. For example, aluminum intake,headers, aluminum heads, aluminum water pump. My car has factory springs for a 350 auto with AC. Now has a 454 4speed with some of the above weight reduction upgrades.
Nice 72!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 523 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.