Tangling with deer - Chevelle Tech
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 18, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Vern

Tangling with deer

I hit a deer this evening. I am the lucky one, I did not get hurt, the deer did not make it. My car was pretty lucky, destroyed the left head light bucket, pushed the radiator support back into the fan, destroying the radiator and pushing the left fender into the drivers door but the door opens. Oh did I mention I was driving my 66 Chevelle. No damage to hood, grill or bumper. I have been debating about replacing my original radiator, now that decision has been made. I am going to look at it tomorrow, figure out what parts I need. My car was all original.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 18, 12:35 AM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage
Re: Tangling with deer

That sucks, had to scare the $hit out of you.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 18, 12:36 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Sorry to hear that Vern. At least you are OK and you can get it fixed up. Hope you have some venison in the freezer now.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 18, 10:56 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Sorry to hear about your '66, but glad you're okay. I thought deer were supposed to be so smart. They're idiots, waiting until a car approaches, then jump out of a ditch in front of it.

The very reason that my classic cars and Harley are back in the garage by sundown. Sometimes it just doesn't happen by sundown, then it's a white-knuckle SLOW drive through the deer suicide zone that's within a couple miles of our driveway. At least 4 roadkills since last Sunday. One with our Buick Enclave.....

When I works, I works hard.
When I sits, I sits loose.
When I thinks, I falls asleep.

The '68 L79 Malibu survivor as found in Nov. 2014, in my profile pic.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 18, 11:08 AM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

No, it doesn't have to happen at night. A few years back during the afternoon I was following a Mazda Miata. All of a sudden a deer comes out of the woods from the left side hits the Mazda in the left front fender falls and slides across the hood and onto the ground gets up and runs into the woods. That has to scare the $hit out of you that guy didn't even see it coming it happened so fast.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 18, 2:34 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Sorry to hear about your 66'. Not too late to update your Christmas list. I also fear driving my 66' where I live. I'm next to Wharton State Forest...100,000 acres of pine barrens, full of deer. I have hit deer in my Tundra and an old Pathfinder. Amazing the amount of damage that can inflict and run off. Guy in a pickup hit one in front of my house the other night. Cop had to come and put it down. The Turkey Vultures cleaned everything up...
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 18, 6:23 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

Garage

What if any deterrent do people use for deer. I used the the little whistles that go on the front bumpers but that was years ago and Im not sure they help. I live in an area with lots of deer and it is very concerning. I have a 65 Corvette and 68 Chevelle SS. I've been lucky so far. Not a matter of if, it's a matter of when.

Bill B.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 18, 7:13 PM
Senior Tech Team
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbonn80 View Post
What if any deterrent do people use for deer.
Bill B.
They seem to be harder to find when I put on blaze orange.

71 Malibu
Asst Novas
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 18, 7:39 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbonn80 View Post
What if any deterrent do people use for deer. I used the the little whistles that go on the front bumpers
We had a car with those whistles, and we never hit a deer in that car, although I can't confirm they actually work. There is an "active" Deer whistle you can install called "The Hornet", but it's $80...
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 18, 7:50 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Vern

Well I was very lucky, I did not get hurt but major damage to the doe, she died immediately. I got my car up on a rack and can find no movement or bent steel under the car. No damage to hood, grill or bumper even the head light buckets survived. My radiator came into the fan then sprung forward again. The radiator is about 1/4" back from where it should be. The leading trim around the left fender, the trim around the head lights and the piece of aluminum to the left of the head lights was the major damage. I have to adjust the left fender forward about a 1/4". Fortunately when you drive a car has been into fender benders before The paint has faded at different rates, so this battle scare will not require a paint job. I was aware of minor heating problems on hot days in the summer so the old 4 blade fan and a fan shroud with holes in it and a radiator that if I used more than a 6 pound radiator cap I would split open the upper radiator tank. All of that needed to go anyway. My car is a 396 360 horse with power glide. Anyone have a recommendation for a radiator?
427L88 and DUTCH MAX HEADWORK like this.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 18, 8:01 PM
Gold Member
Gene

THIS IS MY NITEMARE. OMG I'm so sorry. Glad you're fine, of course, but..... ugh..... sounds damage limited. ( had a buck RAPE the hood of a nice older Merceds once, tines on black paint. just a biodiesel commuter thank fully. )

My only comment is, how original must it be? I had a Harrison ( not the original but came with car) recored which took 4 Franklins. That config was a popular one from 67 on. mostly later on. So there is a mexi repop version for $200. Then I'd fab up a guard ( if you prefer not to shroud) and solder it on, just like 66. Well,without "HARRISON" , and I dont mean a Beatle. Did I mention we have a GREAT Mexican restaurant in town. Authentic as can be. Now Asian, there is a nice rad out there for $150. In alum!

Call your radiator guy in town and have them look up the Mexi rads. Not bad. Very original. Around 2 bills. I saw one on a bud's NICE 66. Perfect.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 18, 8:04 PM
Cam
Gold Founding Member
Cameron Milne

Quote:
Originally Posted by suntreemcanic View Post
...Anyone have a recommendation for a radiator?
Yes, a cow catcher like they used on the old steam locomotives.

Really sorry to hear about your '66. It sounds like a nice stocker, so I would seek a proper copper-brass rad. They even make radiator tags for certain desirable models (any '66 big block qualifies).
After hitting the fender and pushing it back, I have witnessed far too many times people throwing the driver's door open and damaging it against the fender. It is painful to watch.

Deer are really skittish, swift & silent. A moose on the other hand is territorial and won't budge if it sees you coming. Hit a moose and you will knock 700+ pounds of meat standing on 4 stilts and have it slide down your hood and through your windshield. For sure RIP to everybody involved.

One site member from Parry Sound, Ontario was out in his beautiful 1969 Chevelle SS396 L78 when an 800-lb bear charged from the side of the road. It hit the car and put it into a spin towards the shoulder, which was slippery gravel. The car ended up on it's roof, crushed down to the headrests except on the driver's side (he escaped).
427L88 and DUTCH MAX HEADWORK like this.

"The more you know,
the more you realize there is that you don't know." - Dad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TC Gold #120

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 18, 8:08 PM
Gold Member
Gene

Ug, had to read that last paragraph . DMMIT CAM! Now Im back to nitemares... I PREFER MEXI RADS! Holy friggin cow man. Ya, no bear, no moose. Deer bad 'nuf.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 18, 9:29 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Sorry about the damage to your Chevelle.
Those whistles don't do a dang thing. Honestly there is not much one can do other than to stay alert. A deer collision can happen.anytime but tbey are most active at dusk and dawn. Also in breeding season which is mid October to December, at least in the northeast.
I live in Pennsylvania and we have as many deer here as any other state. Have only had one collision with a deer but countless close calls.
Oh and those deer that get hit by a car and jump back up and run off into the woods. You will find them dead a short distance from the roadway.
71350SS likes this.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 18, 10:46 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
I live in Pennsylvania and we have as many deer here as any other state.
Uhm, I respectfully disagree, Brad. PA has MORE deer than most other states!

Roadkill is everywhere in PA.!
71350SS likes this.

66 Malibu......on it's way back to life as a BB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in