• 3 Post By NickeyChevelle
  • 2 Post By B52bombardier1
  • 2 Post By Dansk
  • 2 Post By BluesBoy721

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 18, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Dan

Aftermarket hood issues

So I'm having a tiny bit of a dilemma and it's in regards to my aftermarket hood for my 1971 Chevelle. Unfortunately its too old to just simply return it since my brother had it for roughly 15 years, so trying to make due. So here are my issues:

1. One of the hood hinge mounts were offset by at least 1/8". This caused the hood to pull to closely to the fender. To fix that, I had to bore out the hinge hole itself. Luckily at least the hinges were aftermarket so I felt comfortable doing that.
  2. The driver side of the hood was actually too long by 1/8". I was able to hammer and dolly that about 1/16" in to fix that.
  3. Vertical alignment on the rear passenger side is way too high. Now I don't know if this is because of the aftermarket hinge, but after some of the other defects I've seen, I almost wonder if there's more sheet metal issues. I've already lubed it.
  4. The nose of the hood appears to be too high or the front edges are just simply too low. The hood does have the ability to go down all the way meet the fender extensions, but when I do so, the hood is way too recessed on the edges. I know for a fact that those fender extensions are original. Right now I just have it set to be in the middle. Is this something that a body shop can manipulate?

Today I found an original GM hood with the same cowl design being sold with a requesting price of $600, which I may be able to get down to max $400 - $500; not sure yet. Should I give up on the aftermarket hood and get an original, or can this still be made manageable? Not sure if a hood is able to be manipulated...just don't like the idea of basically throwing away nearly $500. I wish my brother had more attention to detail back then.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chevelle_hood_recessed.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	576024   Click image for larger version

Name:	chevelle_hood_highnose.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	576026   Click image for larger version

Name:	chevelle_hood_highside.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	576028   Click image for larger version

Name:	chevelle_hood_middleoftheroad.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	576030  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 18, 11:13 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage
Re: Aftermarket hood issues

Depending on the overall condition of the Original GM Hood I'd jump on that baby with both feet and sell the Aftermarket hood on Craig's List.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 18, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Dan

Yea, I was thinking about selling but I'd kind of feel bad, lol. I guess I can mark it at $200 for the body work that will be needed.

As far as the original hood, I asked the guy about it's history in terms of if the paint is original, any previous body work, and rust issues and etc. He kind of dodged all the questions and said he had it in his garage for 10 years. I guess he didn't want to text the details as he asked for me to call, which I will tomorrow

I posted the pics. I can't tell if it's just primed or what. The backside will definitely need to be treated, but doesn't seem horrible judging by the one pic from afar. It'll definitely look like it's old self with a little prep and flat black paint. I'll just need to invest in original hinges as well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	chevelle_orig2.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	576032   Click image for larger version

Name:	chevelle_orig.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	576034  

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 18, 6:51 AM
Tech Team
Rick

Hello,

I think you have two problems here - aftermarket hinges and an aftermarket hood. For your front edge of the hood height problem, adjust the threaded rubber-topped height adjusting posts screwed into the radiator core support.

For the rear passenger side height problem, close your hood with a sheet of paper trapped between the bottom of the hood and the top of the firewall cowl. Can you remove the sheet of paper once closed? If not, you may have the same problem my 70 El Camino had. The cowl ledge on mine had a small, upturned metal edge that needed to be flattened down about an eighth of an inch to get the rear of my cowl induction hood to settle properly.

I'm using my original 1970 hood hinges that I shipped off for re-bush and rebuilding. This was the best course of action to eliminate the wild card variable of aftermarket hinges. It cost me around $250 for Willie to rebuild them but it was worth it. I think he took about three weeks, shipping included.

Rick
Steve R and 70CHEVELLE396 like this.

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 18, 7:04 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Eric

I hate texting when I sell something just because my phone makes me hit each button multiple times spell out each letter. I'm not doing that in a conversation that would take 1 minute by talking.
Steve R and TerryAT like this.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 18, 2:37 PM Thread Starter
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by B52bombardier1 View Post
For your front edge of the hood height problem, adjust the threaded rubber-topped height adjusting posts screwed into the radiator core support.
Yup, I adjusted those, and the nose is able to get low enough to meet the lines of the fender extensions, but only at the middle. The front corners end up being too far down. If I adjust them to line up the corners, then the nose is too high, so that's where I'm wondering if this particular hood is that off. Not sure if anyone else has had a similar issue.

Quote:
For the rear passenger side height problem, close your hood with a sheet of paper trapped between the bottom of the hood and the top of the firewall cowl. Can you remove the sheet of paper once closed? If not, you may have the same problem my 70 El Camino had. The cowl ledge on mine had a small, upturned metal edge that needed to be flattened down about an eighth of an inch to get the rear of my cowl induction hood to settle properly.
I spent so much time on the front-end alignment, but I haven't tried that. I remember when I inherited the car, the initial issue was that the hinges pulled the hood to the driver's side, and the hood was actually getting caught on the pin bolt on the cowl. There's a hole on the hood where it was supposed to go in, and I realized that the metal got all marred up from it hitting the pin. So when I fixed that issue, and the problem will existed, I was really baffled. I'll have to try this method to check for clearance issues then.

Quote:
I'm using my original 1970 hood hinges that I shipped off for re-bush and rebuilding. This was the best course of action to eliminate the wild card variable of aftermarket hinges. It cost me around $250 for Willie to rebuild them but it was worth it. I think he took about three weeks, shipping included.
Good to hear what it took to get them like new. I'll have to check out what I can do locally for when the time comes then. I'll need to budget that out.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 18, 4:48 PM
Tech Team
Rick

You could also have either a front fender or radiator core support that might need a shim added or removed to bring things level and into alignment. These workarounds were required during the original factory production build so please don't despair too much here.

It can be fixed.

Rick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 18, 5:43 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Location: No more land of OZ for me am back in the corn fields of Iowa!

Id rather deal with an aftermarket hood then aftermarket hinges. Id be looking for OE hinges then send them off for rebuilding.

The way the hood fits front and rear the hinges need to be "twisted" on the mounting area on the fenders. Open up the hood, loosen the bolts slightly and push up on the hood.

Currently working on How to videos and replacement sheetmetal panels

1970 chevelle getting Sliced and Diced Anything But STOCK
1970 chevelle SS455 not a typo its a BUICK BABY
1949 and 1972 chevy trucks
Pictures of my work
https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

http://s969.photobucket.com/user/sev...?sort=6&page=1
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 18, 5:51 PM
Tech Team

are those aftermarket fenders?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 18, 9:52 PM Thread Starter
Dan

So I actually went ahead and tried the dude's hood, and guess what....same problem, so I guess the hood isn't to blame for the front.

Both fenders are aftermarket. They don't seem to have issues lining up with the doors. Is it possible that the tabs are too low where it mounts to the core support? I don't see how this can be fixed otherwise, because I can only shim the fenders and core support based on specifications. Shimming the core support only adjusts the tilt of the front-end. The grille and the inner fender extension mount can't be moved since it attaches to the core support, especially since the tie bar and latch can't move.

I always felt the fender extensions look slightly slanted where it seemed higher on the outside, so I guess it sounds plausible, but I guess that's why I'm here so I can get other pairs of eyes looking at it.

Does anyone have the factory specs of the distance between the fender top and the core support off-hand? I think the assembly guide I have may show it...gotta look more.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 18, 10:21 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ed

I had to place a rubber mallet between the hood and fender just above where it bolts to the radiator support forcing down on the hood to straighten the hood to the headlight extensions. Work each side in steps. You want the mallet on the hood turn downs not on the flat panel. Once you get the front improved, start with the hinges. You may have to elongate holes where the hinge mounts to the fender.

Ed C.
-------------------------
70 SS L34 Auto project
57 Belair hardtop project
Always looking
-------------------------
There's nothing in this hobby I won't try at least once.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 18, 4:02 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Location: No more land of OZ for me am back in the corn fields of Iowa!

Oem hood hinges that can not be stated enough!

As I said in the prior post, the way the hood fits, the hood hinges need to be twisted not lowered.
To twist them, open the hood loosen bolts where the hinges mounts to fender, push up on hood in the front re tighten bolts.

Currently working on How to videos and replacement sheetmetal panels

1970 chevelle getting Sliced and Diced Anything But STOCK
1970 chevelle SS455 not a typo its a BUICK BABY
1949 and 1972 chevy trucks
Pictures of my work
https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

http://s969.photobucket.com/user/sev...?sort=6&page=1
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 18, 5:18 PM Thread Starter
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevt_chevelle View Post
As I said in the prior post, the way the hood fits, the hood hinges need to be twisted not lowered.
To twist them, open the hood loosen bolts where the hinges mounts to fender, push up on hood in the front re tighten bolts.
I did read about that a couple months ago. I forgot the result...I think it just made the middle no line up, lol. I can try again when I get the chance just to make sure I got the procedure right. Thanks!
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old May 17th, 19, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdCarpenter View Post
I had to place a rubber mallet between the hood and fender just above where it bolts to the radiator support forcing down on the hood to straighten the hood to the headlight extensions. Work each side in steps. You want the mallet on the hood turn downs not on the flat panel. Once you get the front improved, start with the hinges. You may have to elongate holes where the hinge mounts to the fender.
That advice worked really well. I had multiple issues, but the main thing I did was push up on the corners and trimmed the hinge to hood holes. Apparently the 2 parts of the hood are not even aligned, and caused some weird lop-sided issues. Opening the holes allowed the hinges to flex a bit better. It's still not perfect, but certainly much better.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190516_194822.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	593882   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190516_194345.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	593884  
EdCarpenter and any4xx like this.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old May 26th, 19, 11:32 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

P.S. The light colored hood in the picture, It is a very early 1970 domed hood. I would guess....... Pre. May of 70.
Bob

1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in