Team Chevelle banner

Has anyone installed Digi-Tails taillights on a '67 Chevelle?

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  darksky 
#1 ·
Looking over the instructions, it says to "remove the taillight housing assembly from the car, then remove the 4 speed nuts that hold chrome bezel and lens onto the housing". I spoke with a local classic restoration shop and they said to remove the rear bumper first, to allow removal of the taillight housing assembly without damaging the paint.

I thought it was a simple as removing the 4 speed nuts on the backside of the housing.

If anyone has done this installation, I'd appreciate your advice.

#2 ·
I haven’t installed these but it makes sense to me that to remove the red taillight lens to install, you have to remove the 4 speed nuts that hold the chrome pot metal bezel onto the taillight housing. To get to those 4 speednuts you have to remove the taillight housing and I suspect that can’t be done with the bumper on. There might be a chance that you could loosen the bolts that hold the bumper brackets to the frame enough that you could slide the bumper rearward enough and tilt the top of the bumper away from the car enough to get the taillight buckets out but honestly I don’t think that saves you much work. Taking the bumper off is very easy. Either way it’s good to be careful not to scratch the paint and perhaps have a helper.

#3 ·
Thanks John C.
Looking inside the trunk I can see the four threaded bolts with the speed nuts so it appears that when the nuts are removed the taillight bezel and lens comes right off. Apparently not. With my lack of experience and tools I think I'll leave it to my local restoration shop who has experience installing these lights in a '67.

#4 ·
I am sure it is the same as my 68 and the housing goes under the bumper. Some people use a silicone type adhesive or other stuff to seal against water. Normally there is just a gasket and it comes off fairly easy after the 4 nuts are removed or it is just stuck. However better safe then sorry if you think this maybe more then you want to take on. Paying someone a hundred is better then painting your car again.

#6 ·
Thanks to all for your replies. I'm definitely going to have it done at the restoration shop. They've installed DigiTails on a '67 before.

#7 ·
I had my Digi-Tails taillights and front marker/turn signal lights installed today by my "private" mechanic who has done a bunch of work on my '67 Chevelle. They look great and I like the sequential flashing pattern. Nice bright brake lights should increase safety. I have a short video of them flashing but I couldn't get it to upload it by dragging it to this post.

Here's a YouTube video of them on another '67 Chevelle.

#12 ·
I didn't notice that until you mentioned it. I don't know why they work that way. The other video I posted with the same Digi-Tails installed in a 67 Chevelle by Metalworks do the same except they shut off going to the right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.