Team Chevelle banner

LSA drive system for a 66 Chevelle

9K views 37 replies 6 participants last post by  Volks 
#1 ·
Hey everyone I'm currently building a 66 Chevelle 6.0 and a LSA supercharger, I've been looking at different drive systems and I know the stock LSA system has the alternator mounted on the lower left by the steering box. I've looked in LS Concepts race drive system has anyone else had any luck with a system besides having to buy LS7 for the left side and LSA for the right side. Thanks any information would be greatly appreciated

#2 ·
Maybe ICT Billet would have something ? They make alot of different kits.

#4 ·
I bought the ICT kit that moved the power steering in closer to the block and has the alternator in the "stockish" position. Would rather have the alternator on the pass side, which they make a kit for, but since this is my first swap thought the "chevelle" kit would be the place to start.

Mine is just a straight forward carb / nitrous deal so nothing like a blower / turbo deal...

#6 ·
I’d be curious what you find. I have an iron block 6.0 and bought the LSX concepts alt/ps/ac brackets and plan to add an LSA blower along with their HD LSA drive in the future. At the time I was doing research this seemed like the way to go as far as ps pump fitment on our A bodies and overdrive blower pulley. I’m not too crazy about the idea of a fixed blower belt tensioner though.

#7 ·
NorCal SS I found this last night GM 19417908, it's a factory GM drive system for modified LSA application for older cars. It puts the alternator in the higher location and gives you all the tensioner pulleys that you need to get started minus the AC bracket which I'm going to get from Wayne at Kwik Performance once I'm ready. I know you'll need a LSA water pump to make this kit work. I agree I was looking at LS Concepts it's a nice looking kit but I'm in the same as far as fixed tension on the upper pulley at all times. My thing is if GM wanted a fixed tension all time they would have designed it that way

#8 ·
My E-Forced LS swap uses a similar GM FEAD except with the Corvette offset; it fits nicely. Dirty Dingo, among others, makes a mount for the Sanden SD7 A/C compressor that tucks it up close to the block, low on the passenger side. IMHO the GM FEAD makes the engine look more OEM, a look I like.

#9 ·
Just wanted to say thanks for posting the part number for the modified LSA FEAD from Chevrolet Performance. After some research it appears GM simply combined the Corvette alt+ps bracket with the LSA pulleys, tensioner and hardware to make the “modified LSA FEAD kit”.
I really like what this offers so I’ve started piecing it together since I already have Corvette alts and ps pumps. The individual brackets are actually inexpensive especially if you find them used and I like that they look factory. Holley offers a very similar alt/ps bracket that would work just the same. LSA water pump is required too, but I already had that.

It also looks like I should be able to use the Holley Sanden AC add on bracket in the Corvette position. This whole deal really seams like the most economical and effective way to get an LSA swap FEAD on these A bodies IMO. The Corvette ps pump can be pricey but if you buy the brackets separately you aren’t forced to buy a new high dollar GM pump.

#15 ·
Don, also is the compressor fixed displacement or variable displacement?
Sorry for not replying sooner. Using the Holley mounts, forward position, Holley trans crossmember, headers, oil pan. So the GM AC kit does not fit without modifying. It's pretty tight to the engine but the bracket hits the tie rod. I cut off the bracket and now has 3 bolts holding the compressor on instead of 4. Not sure if it will last but I'm willing to give it a try. Here's some pics.

Don

Attachments

#17 ·
FWIW from my limited research it looks like Chevrolet Performance offers 2 similar AC add on kits that could work with the LSA drive.

19299069 “Corvette” kit with variable displacement compressor

19244106 “LSA” kit with fixed compressor

I don’t have first hand experience with either kit, but looks promising.

I haven’t totally ruled out the Holley high mount AC bracket either, although it would certainly need to be modified. But the Holley will hold a Sanden and make an aftermarket AC install a little easier.

Hope this helps.

#32 ·
Well I finally got all of the pieces to mock it up. Using the rear biased holley mounts the outer corner of the compressor is touching the frame cross member. I put a bolt in the top front corner and can barely start a bolt in the lower front corner so it's not touching by much. It clears the tie rod end by about a finger and it looks like the idler arm would be fine.

It looks like the forward bias mounts would be fine. I originally had the forward bias but the magnacharger was right at touching the inner structure on the hood.

Attachments

#21 ·
I also have a Maggie on a 2010 Camaro. Here's some pics of that set up. I'm running a super tensioner on that but everything else would be the same. The AC compressor is farther out to the side and the alternator is pretty low on the driver side. I don't think it's the best set-up for the older cars. And I like the LSA setup better with a separate belt for the supercharger.

Don

Attachments

#22 ·
That's similar to how I have it now on the '67 but I'm using the Corvette accessory drive spaced out to work with the Camaro water pump and balancer. It looks like the maggie pulley is spaced out the same as an LSA SC but it only has 6 grooves. I'm pretty sure I can get an 8 groove pulley for the maggie to go with the LSA balancer.

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=399202&d=1478411773

#23 ·
Hey everyone sorry I haven't checked back in awhile, I did some research and the modified LSA drive system I posted is currently out of stock and no one knows when it will be back in stock. I checked with a guy I know from a dealership and had him price everything out in the kit and it was almost $2,000 without the hardware 😱🤮. So I had him price out just the 8 rib parts for the blower and it was about $550 with the hardware. I know Holley sells the LS7 drive for the 6 rib which would be alternator bracket alternator power steering and etc for around $700 I think and your up and running minus a/c. I have all the GM part numbers for just the LSA 8 rib system I can post them if some people would like to save them the headache I've endured the past couple of weeks chasing my tail on how to get a drive system together without breaking the bank having to buy two separate kits

#24 ·
Hey everyone sorry I haven't checked back in awhile, I did some research and the modified LSA drive system I posted is currently out of stock and no one knows when it will be back in stock. I checked with a guy I know from a dealership and had him price everything out in the kit and it was almost $2,000 without the hardware 😱🤮. So I had him price out just the 8 rib parts for the blower and it was about $550 with the hardware. I know Holley sells the LS7 drive for the 6 rib which would be alternator bracket alternator power steering and etc for around $700 I think and your up and running minus a/c. I have all the GM part numbers for just the LSA 8 rib system I can post them if some people would like to save them the headache I've endured the past couple of weeks chasing my tail on how to get a drive system together without breaking the bank having to buy two separate kits
Check out my previous post. The modified lsa FEAD appears to be a C5/C6 (LS1/2/3) Corvette alt/ps bracket and accessories with a couple extra brackets/tensioner/pulleys for the blower. I was able to source all the corvette stuff gently used locally and you can purchase the Blower parts separately on eBay (like I did). It’s also WAYYYY cheaper to do it this way.

Just look up the GM part number on summit. Download the instructions and all the part numbers you need are in there. I sourced my own bolts since the cost on those add up quick if you buy them new.

Just trying to figure out the AC so I can ditch my LSX Concepts stuff.

#27 ·
Yes I've dealt with Pace before really good guys to deal with, the real reason I called the dealership was to get the exact break down and part numbers cause I knew there were some brackets for the idler pulleys. NorCalSS, I'm pretty sure Wayne at Kwik performance makes a a/c bracket that uses a Sanderson compressor which is compatible with Vintage air. Just so I'm understanding you correctly you bought the Corvette c6 drive system then pieced the blower system parts? I have the LSA water pump and crank pulley already on the motor but that's it. I have no accessory parts at all so basically I'm starting from scratch

Attachments

#28 ·
Yes that’s correct. You can find the parts list break down on the instructions for the LSA drive. I found instructions on summit racing. When I dug into it I realized the alt/ps part of the modified kit is basically just a Corvette FEAD. The kit is priced high because a brand new corvette alternator and PS pump are expensive. I saved a few bucks on that part of it. Plus, like you mentioned it seems to be out of stock or maybe even discontinued anyways. The blower drive parts can be purchased individually.

#29 ·
I ran a comparison of the Corvette kit vs the modified LSA kit and it looks like there's some parts that are different like the belt and tensioner. I'm not sure why you'd need a different power steering reservoir an the Alt connector doesn't come in the Corvette kit.

Here's the list

Part
Number Description Qty
11518630 BOLT/SCREW BELT IDLER PUL 2
11571051 BOLT/SCREW-DRV BELT TENSR 2
11588742 BOLT/SCREW-SPCHG BELT TENSR BRKT 1
11588745 BOLT/SCREW 1
11588749 BOLT/SCREW-SPCHG BELT TENSR BRKT 2
11588753 BOLT/SCREW-SPCHG BELT TENSR 1
11589311 BOLT/SCREW-SPCHG BELT IDLER PUL BRKT 1
11610074 BOLT/SCREW-SPCHG BELT IDLER PUL BRKT 3
12606031 PULLEY ASM-SPCHG BELT IDLER 1
12606032 PULLEY ASM-SPCHG BELT IDLER 1
12606500 BRACKET-SPCHG BELT TENSR 1
12606501 BRACKET-SPCHG BELT IDLER PUL 1
12616673 BELT-W/PMP & GEN & P/S PUMP 1
12622452 TENSIONER ASM-SPCHG BELT 1
12628025 TENSIONER ASM-DRV BELT 1
12636227 BELT-SPCHG 1
15306009 CONNECTOR-GEN 1
22768353 RESERVOIR-P/S PUMP 1

#30 · (Edited)
I ran a comparison of the Corvette kit vs the modified LSA kit and it looks like there's some parts that are different like the belt and tensioner. I'm not sure why you'd need a different power steering reservoir an the Alt connector doesn't come in the Corvette kit...
Yes, all correct. The PS pulley is smaller to allow better fitment on older cars (better steering box clearance). This explains the shorter belt as well. The tensioner I believe is to allow it to work with the LSA brackets. And the Alt connector is assuming you need to adapt to non-Corvette wiring. Otherwise it’s pretty much the same. Same Corvette spacing, etc. The modified LSA kit also comes with 2 PS reservoirs. This allows the installer some flexibility on how/where to install the reservoir. It doesn’t look like the Corvette placement of the reservoir will work with the blower throttle body/intake plumbing.

#31 ·
Awesome I really appreciate all the information from everyone. This is how it should be everyone helping each other out. I'm new to the LS world and people sharing their research with others is what these sites should be all about. Here's the GM part numbers for the 8 rib blower parts
12606031- pulley
12606032- pulley
12622452- tensioner
12606500- pulley bracket
12606501- pulley bracket
12676726- belt

#34 ·
NorCal-SS, yes I did order those two off Rock Auto for less than the price of one of the AC Delco pulleys. My engine builder also gave me the bracket that bolts to the water pump that holds the two supercharger pulleys you mentioned so that saved me $70. I did order all GM hardware from Pace Performance. I know it wasn't a necessity but having all factory GM parts I wanted it to match plus I like how the bolts are cone tapered at beginning of the threads. I've already stripped out a header bolt thread in the head so I wasn't taking any chances

#36 ·
rpol78 I haven't run the hoses yet. I was planning on using the hose kit that came with the kit. Pretty sure one side is crimped and the other side is cut to fit then put ends on it. Once I got the engine and trans set up I pulled it back out and started the body work. It's almost ready for paint then it goes back together. I got sidetracked on the Chevelle because I bought a 69 RS Camaro for my daughter and been spending time adding a Sniper fuel injection to it. Lol

#37 ·
By "the hose kit that came with the kit", are you referring to the vintage air hoses? If so I'm not sure they'll work for connecting to the compressor since vintage air is designed for the Sanden compressor rather than the Denso.

That's great your daughter is into old muscle cars. Congrats...

#38 ·
Yep. Vintage sent me the whole kit minus compressor. I believe I need to use a crimper tool on the one side of the hoses. You might be right about the fittings not working on the compressor though. I think I remember someone mentioning compressor fittings on one of the forums. This is the kit they sent me. And the Camaro.

Don

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.