Team Chevelle banner

LS Swap fuel pump ideas

12K views 29 replies 14 participants last post by  Sprech 
#1 ·
My wagon has a 454/ 700r4 in it. Pulled it out due to oil leaks and little bit of oil burning. Trying to decide whether to stay with it or swap in a 5.3/ 6.0.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to address the fuel pump? I see Holley has a new inline pump that is supposed to be quiet, but I have my doubts. Also saw they have a retrofit fuel pump housing deal that might work.

I've done a bit of searching, not really found much info.

#4 ·
Is it noisy at all? In my 71 is a tanks inc tank with a walbro in tank pump and its ok. Tried a Holley Blue at one point and it was terribly noisy.

#5 ·
Do they make one for the wagons? That would be awesome.

#8 ·
I put a fuel pump in my stock 72 wagon tank. Wasn't hard to do, no modification to the tank except for a vent line. The car has 17k miles on it without any fuel issues...except for the one time I ran out of gas :eek: It will pick up fuel with no starvation with as little as 1/2 gallon in the tank. When I ran out the tank was empty.

Reactions: Geo71
#14 ·
I would like to do this, not sure how to do it. I installed the tanks inc tank, but it was just put it together.

#15 ·
An in tank pump would be my preference. Not sure how to go about it.

#11 ·
Lol, it's hard to take the sound advice of a guy running a 10:1 429 with half an exhaust!! l:):beers: :wink2:

I'm running the Tanks Inc tank with the in tank 255 Walbro. My exhaust is loud but you can still hear the pump. It's not overly loud but noticeable if paying attention.

around the 27 second mark:

While seeing if anyone has had this same issue I ran across this video, it's pretty well put together and the end result is great.

Looking up DeatschWerks they do have inline pumps, but I do not have any longevity info on them. I asked the guy that posted the above video how the pump is doing, hoping he replies.

https://www.deatschwerks.com/line-fuel-pumps

My buddy is running Bosch inline pumps in his pickup but keeps burning them up, thinking he's victim to knock off pumps?

#13 ·
I run an in-line pump and a Corvette bypass filter. I can here the pump when I turn the key on but cannot hear it at all with the engine running. It’s pretty darn quiet.
I had the same thing on my 67 convertible with an LS1 and had over 100k mikes without an issue.

Attachments

#17 ·
There's a company that makes a kit to retrofit a late model in tank Factory style fuel pump in older vehicles I forget who it is. I deal a lot with aeromotive. They make either a tank with the fuel pump ready to bolt in or a retrofit kit for your tank for old Chevelles. I have a big block and quadrajet and I'm going with an in-tank electric fuel pump for the reliability compared with diaphragm engine driven fuel pumps that you can get any more

#18 ·
Yep I have a Tanks Inc tank with the efi in tank pump in my 71 malibu...problem with the wagons are the tanks are in the rear driver side fender and more vertical. There is a storage compartment where a coupe’s tank would be.
I was at a buddies place today, he has a gbody cutlass. He is running two aem 340 pumps inline. They are pretty quiet, was surprised. May just go that route.

#21 · (Edited)
I'm going the same way that Philip and Mike did with an in-tank pump. Doing a 6.0/4L80e swap in my 72. I did install the "sock" prior to installing the pump assembly in my tank. Using Bosch pump 69225.

Attachments

#22 ·
Hey George, because the fuel pump or it's pickup needs to be immersed in fuel all the time, I usually recommend something like the Aeromotive Phantom setup that places a foam bucket around the pump in the tank.

Here's what I ended up doing. It's a stock non-return ZL1 pump good to 900hp and a VaporWorx controller powers it. Red circle is a Tanks Inc. tank vent I hosed to a charcoal filter up behind the bumper.

Attachments

#26 ·
THe wagon tanks are a lot different than the car tanks.

The in tank pump setup in my Tanks inc pump works ok, but for racing (which is primarily what I do), there has to be over half tank of fuel. If not, it runs out of fuel at the top of first gear till i hit second and the fuel moves back to the front of the tank. Wish i would have known about this before buying the tank...I looked into getting the farm from the phantom setup, but don't think they are selling it separate.

#25 ·
The shape of the tank makes most of the aftermarket pump systems unusable for a wagon tank. The good thing the shape of the tank works well without the need of sump in the tank.

Here is a stock fuel pick up next to the modified one with a pump. The tube was bent to allow the pump to set vertical in the tank with the strainer on the bottom.

#27 ·
Philip,
the modified one, did you buy a replacement sender unit and modify it? Or did you have a spare original unit?

#28 ·
In process of doing the swap on my Cutlass, bought a Aeromotive Stealth II tank for it with the 340 pump.

I think it's going to be much better than Tanks Inc. setup that I have on Chevelle, and it was couple of $$ cheaper. It came assembled and ready to be dropped in. 6an supply and return.

Attachments

#30 ·
I did something like Philip using the Delco EP381 pump. The goal was to use as many parts store available pieces as I could. I haven’t road tested it yet, and it’ll probably be any other month or so before I do.

That being said, I don’t love having a fuel tank outside the rails so I am seriously considering using an El Camino tank from a tanks inc or equivalent. It will mean cutting out the storage area under the floor, but I’m OK with that.

I should have some pictures in my signature of what I did, but like I said, it’s a lot like what Philip did.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.