Team Chevelle banner

Finally.......Color!

3K views 28 replies 18 participants last post by  any4xx 
#1 ·
After an extended period of life happening and some old fashioned procrastination, I finally shot some base on the 67 today. I'm painting outside, so I've got some insects in it that need sanded out before the final base coat. If the weather cooperates tomorrow, I hope to have her cleared by day's end

Attachments

See less See more
#16 ·
Rick, my original goal was to make it a show car. My expectations have changed a bit, if I can turn it into a 15 footer and drive it in my lifetime, I'll be a happy camper. I thinks the bugs will give it character, just glad I don't live in Florida and have to deal with love bugs.

#13 ·
Congrats Randy for passing a milestone. :thumbsup:

A little story on painting outdoors. A neighbor of mine has a nice 68 Chevelle.
Several years ago he was painting the entire car in his driveway. It turned out very good but he said right in the middle of shooting the color and his next door neighbor came out and cut his grass.

#14 ·
Why didn't you wait to cut your grass Brad?!?!?! >:)

Reactions: pnugene
#23 ·
It must be warm down there in Alabama to be painting outside this time of year. Congrats on this major milestone. I like your color choice.

Back in the days of leaded lacquer you painted in your driveway and the bugs landed in it during the short flash window, then you'd wet sand & repeat until you got the results you wanted. Remember the days when people talked about 20 coats of hand-rubbed lacquer? Any hobbyist with minimal equipment could do a credible paint job if they were patient & sweat the details. Now they will bust you if you paint outside, at least around where I am. It's crazy.

#24 ·
It's been low to mid eighties the last 3 days thru Saturday. I live in a semi-rural area about 12 miles outside the metro area, and doing my painting at the rear of 4 acres adjacent to forest land. My biggest headache isn't the authorities, it's the danged insects. They seem to love the smell of fresh polyurethane.

#26 ·
I’ve been contemplating using the Summit (or Eastwood) B/C paints. I understand they’re canned by the same manufacturer. How did you like the way it sprayed? I’ve heard mixed reports, but the common theme seems to be that there are less solids so it needs to be put on a bit heavier. What was your experience?

Looks good!

#28 ·
The Summit base coat appears to be a Sherwin Williams product. I'm sure there are better paints out there, but the price point was too attractive since this car is just gonna be a fun driver. Never was into the show/trophy scene.
It sprayed out surprisingly well, 3 coats gave full coverage, I shot a 4th coat to make sure. I sprayed 5 coats of SPI's universal clear, right now the clear has a good bit of orange peel. Don't know how it'll look until I cut and buff it out.

#27 ·
Try placing some small jar lids about 12' away on the ground and put a little water/sugar solution. It will attract bugs away from your project. Let us know how it works?? Good luck!!

Reactions: pnugene
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.