Chevelle Tech - View Single Post - 75 years ago today
View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 20, 9:56 PM
1775SS
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Garage
Re: 75 years ago today

In 1992, a few of my Marine Corps buddies and myself went on a trip with a group of former Marines. This was a three day event which took us through Arlington Cemetery and a few other sites in the DC area. The highlight of the trip was to see the Evening Parade at the Marine Corps Barracks on 8th and I street. ( seeing the evening parade was at the top of my bucket list )

Well, the group of former Marines that put this memorable trip together, mostly consisted of WWII, Korea and Vietnam war participants. One WWII Marine on our bus told us about his first mission, as the LCU's departed from the ships heading toward Iwo Jima. He was to take the original flag, which was a smaller flag, to the top of Mt Suribachi. His name is Fred Huffman. He accomplished the mission, and the one thing we didn't know was the original US flag he carried to the top was replaced by the larger one we all see in the flag raising photo.

I ran into him again at the Marine Corps Museum outside of Quantico in 2010 when I retired. He was volunteering his time at the museum working at a WWII display. I again thanked him for his service.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome