Team Chevelle banner

Front springs Recommendations

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  67_LS1 
#1 ·
Hi All,

In my 66 convertible I currently have CS6041 springs installed. Rated at 500lbs and cut one coil they are a little bit teeth jarring. I am re-doing the front suspension and tossing my b-body spindles and wondering what springs I should use. It has a 455 block which is about 650lbs I think, no A/C.

Any idea what I should use for something that can take corners, but not be a boat? 500lbs+ feels a a bit too much.

I am using an 8.75 tall spindle and aftermarket controls arms. Its something I drive in summer and like to take corners, but I am not doing any racetracks.

Any suggestions?

TIA!

#6 ·
My LQ4 weighs in at 520lbs.

Running Moog 6200 on my 64 with aftermarket control arms and love the ride. It's a really comfortable ride. I'm also running a Hellwig solid 1 5/16" sway bar which keeps the car flat as a pancake through the curves, absolutely love the bar until I got to go over railroad tracks, then you get thrown around like a rag doll.

#7 ·
I too am deep into the process of selecting new front springs and while the weight of the engine plays into the equation I believe you need to know how much the front of the car weighs to select a spring by spring rating.

The front end of my 66 weighs 1,760 lbs. I subtracted the weight of the tires, wheels, spindles, brakes, lower control arms and come up with a front end unsprung weight of approx 1,545 lbs.

I currently have Hotchkis 512 lb/in springs and it WAY to stiff. They are 14.812” tall loose and 11.811” tall installed (1545/5.12=3.01” lower)

I want a spring with an 11.75-12” installed height because I like the stance of my car now but I want a softer spring.

The stock 66 front spring rate for a small block, no AC, 2 door hardtop was rated 250 lbs/in.

512 is to stiff and 250 is to soft so I’m thinking something in the 300-400 lbs/in range.

So far my choice looks to be Moog 5246. They are rated 298lbs/in and are 17.3 tall loose. So at 1,545 lbs it should sit at 12.12” tall installed. I’ll take an 1/8” spacer out of my lower control arm spring seat which should lower the front approx 1/4” (1/8x1.82=.2275”)

I’m still looking at other options too but I DONT want to do this again.

#8 ·
Hi All,

In my 66 convertible I currently have CS6041 springs installed. Rated at 500lbs and cut one coil they are a little bit teeth jarring. I am re-doing the front suspension and tossing my b-body spindles and wondering what springs I should use. It has a 455 block which is about 650lbs I think, no A/C.
Any idea what I should use for something that can take corners, but not be a boat? 500lbs+ feels a a bit too much.
I am using an 8.75 tall spindle and aftermarket controls arms. Its something I drive in summer and like to take corners, but I am not doing any racetracks. Any suggestions? TIA!
Thanks David!
So, for people using the CS5244, are you guys happy with the ride? I like firm but not compress my spine every time I hit a small pot hole.
Thanks again.

The first one is the Reason for the 2nd one

You increased the Stiffness of the Spring by cutting it shorter

IMHO I would try either a Moog 5234 or 6200 based on the Pic in Post # 2
and take some advise from Post # 7
...#........Bar Dia....Rate

CS5234 .. .625......297

CS6200 .. .625......290

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.