Team Chevelle banner

The Chevelle “Lean”

3K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  shovelrick 
#1 ·
I’ve read a lot of posts about how Chevelles lean to one side. It seemed to me that most of those posts referenced sitting low on the drivers side.
So I went and looked at my 66 and it looked like it was WAY low on the passenger side. Probably because the suspensiongets a little twisted when I pull into my driveway at home.
So I drove it back to my shop today which is real level and measured it. I measured from the ground to the wheel opening at the centerline of each wheel and got:
Right front - 23”
Left front - 23.375”
Right rear - 23.75”
Left rear - 23.75”
So I’m off by just 3/8” in the front with the drivers side high. Probably not bad given the tolerances used when these cars were built, 53 years of driving around and a frame off restoration.
What do you guys think?

#7 ·
Yeah, I’m happy. I think I’m probably better than most at this point

Hmmmm ..... 23.xx inches .....A LOT lower than mine ....
I have UMI stage I, stock height, springs on my '66....
The car measures 28.75 front, 26.75 rear, with 235/55x17 tires (27 inch) ...
Yeah, it’s low. Dropped spindles and short springs.

#4 ·
Hmmmm ..... 23.xx inches .....A LOT lower than mine ....
I have UMI stage I, stock height, springs on my '66....
The car measures 28.75 front, 26.75 rear, with 235/55x17 tires (27 inch) ...

#9 ·
#10 ·
Had same issue on my 66. At one point someone placed a spacer on one rear spring and clamps on the other rear spring to level the car.
When I ordered new 1-1/2" drop springs, the lean was very obvious!
I ended up returning the new springs and went with QA1 adjustable coil overs instead. Now the car sits nice and level plus I can adjust height if I wish.

#12 ·
From my experience, start with the springs, make sure static height and wire thickness is the same, but even with that out of the way, there can be a variance. Check the body bushings and frame (at least eyeball the frame). 3/8" is one things, 3/4" is quite another. Personally, if you're going to deal with one corner sitting lower, it would be the passenger rear, which will put the driver side front higher. Air bags with individual lines are a coil spring suspension's best friend, simple to install and do a great job flattening out the suspension. Often only takes a few pounds difference to level out a suspension.

#13 ·
This is correct, if you want to test this theory do the following:

Get a friend or someone else to help you. Example: So, If your low on the driver's side front, stand in front of the car with your friend at the passenger side rear bumper. Have him/her push down slightly on the passenger side corner of the bumper. Note, it does not take much as GRN69CHV states. You will see just how little it takes as your friend can probably produce the level you want with two fingers pushing down.

#14 ·
Even though I hate to mess with it being so close, I could take the battery, which is tiny but in its stock location and remove it. If that gets rid of the 3/8 difference in the front I could relocate it to the trunk, probably in the middle so as not to affect the rear.p

#16 ·
Fact that the rear of the car is dead level, I'm going to lean towards either the core is bent or the front of the frame rails are bent. You really should measure the suspension from lower control arm to frame rail. Assuming the suspension checks out, simple fix is to loosen the fender bolts then shim the core on the low side where it attaches to the frame and readjust the bumper.

#17 ·
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, I don't know that I've ever noticed a Chevelle (with stock suspension) leaning toward one side or the other.

Our 70 conv sits evenly both front and rear.
Over 20yrs ago when I built the SB400 and replaced the original 307, I replaced the original front coils with MOOG springs that were listed for a 454 w/air cond. I also added rear air shocks and retained the original rear coils.

This is our 70 alongside our son's 68.

Attachments

Reactions: shovelrick
#18 ·
You could put and aluminum plate at the bottom of the spring pocket to raise it up, I removed the alum. plates that came on my tubular front LCA's and IIRC 1/4" plates dropped the front 1/2", might need steel since it'll have to be thin? 3/16ths steel? I've never done this though

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.