Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Northern Virginia, Fairfax County
Re: Bench to bucket conversion
For any one interested here's some updating.
I have one seat frame/spring assembly restored (pictures attached). Thanks to Ben Ramo, I used his vinegar technique to remove rust from the frames/springs. What I found is that the vinegar works great. I left the parts in the vinegar for about a week, took them out and power washed and they end looking like all new metal; however, they flash rust faster than I can get them complete dried off. I used Eastwood rustu encapsulator paint on the frames.
One thing that I didn't know and Ben noticed was that these are 65 GTO seats, and the bottom springs are different for the 65 Chevelle. Since the back springs on one seat had excess rust and loss of spring diameter and broken springs, and the bottom springs were incorrect, I decided to order all new springs. I went with the best pricing I could find (mistake) and ordered from Muscle Factory. I only ordered one back spring first to see how well they would fit/work. It matched the original pretty well and went onto the frame very easily. So I decided to order another back and two bottoms.
Well, the bottoms are not even close to fit or correct. No curve in the bolster area, they are just simply flat. I asked to return them and Muscle Factory said fine, however, when I went to FedEx the shipping charge was almost as much as I paid for the frame. Muscle Factory shipped them to me for $32, It would cost me $109 to ship them back. So I'll just keep them for yard art or something!!!
I did more research and ended up buying two more bottom springs, this time from NPD. Look much better, fit the frames very good.
Thanks again Ben