Team Chevelle banner

Empty Engine Bay

2K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  KevMc 
#1 ·
Hi

I removed my big block for a full rebuild and now have an empty, grimy and old engine bay.
This includes firewall, cowl, frame, suspension, (inner fenders are out and replacing with new ones)

I would like to take this opportunity to do a cleaning, painting and some restoration on all the pieces (including wires, grommets and accessories etc.)

Wondering if anyone has done this effort and can provide some guidelines/tips

If there is any existing threads on this let me know.

Thanks!

Mario

1969 SS396

#3 ·
I second that. I replaced the distribution block on mine. I didn't notice it when I installed it but the mounting bracket is slightly different from the original. The block seems to be a little further away from the bend in the bracket which makes it further from the frame. I reinstalled my engine 2 weeks ago and now my header is resting against it.

#4 ·
Pressure wash all of the area you describe and prep it for some Hot Rod Black single stage paint. This process will never be easier than right now. Fill holes in the firewall that won't be used during or after the rebuild.

Figure out what company aftermarket air conditioning kit, if any, that you might be considering and set up its firewall mounting plate while the access is easy.

I'm sure there are things that I'm forgetting but let's see what others say.

Rick

#8 ·
Would it be better to install my (metal) inner fenders while the engine is out or should I do it once it is in?
Assuming that the fenders are still on, I would put the inner fenders in before the engine.

A few years ago I started a project similar to yours. Just wanted to freshen up the engine bay. Thought that it would take me 4 months or less. After pulling the engine and transmission I decided that it wouldn't really be that much more work to lift the body up off of the frame so that I could clean up the frame. My 4 month project took 14 months, but was worth it.

Greg

#6 ·
I recommend a serious pressure wash, as the others have said move the distro block. Then sand/maroon scotch brite the entire area and either paint with semi gloss or my personal favorite SPI Black Epoxy Primer. It is as durable as can be and has a very nice semi gloss look when finished. Do your inner fenders very last, after fenders are installed. Just has always been easier for me that way.

#9 ·
Hi Mario,
I'm replacing the motor in my 1971 Chevelle. First time I have attempted such a project. I have the old motor out and would like to clean and paint the engine bay. I could use some guidance in prepping and painting, such as type of paint, the components.
I'm also planning to replace the inner fender wells. Hoping someone can share their experience in choosing plastic or metal inner fender well replacements. I would like to purchase "direct fit" wells, if there is such a thing.

#10 ·
I did it old school. Hand grinder and sand paper. Got rid of all rust then applied rust preventer then rattle canned the frame. As mentioned, I did all new brake lines and changed motor mounts from ABC to bbc and put in a 396. I installed everything before fenders finishing with radiator core support and wiring.

Attachments

#13 ·
I did it old school. Hand grinder and sand paper. Got rid of all rust then applied rust preventer then rattle canned the frame.
I concur. For rattle can painting under the hood I like the look of Eastwood's Underhood Black. However, that's a 1K paint, so I've switched to a 2K black that looks the same. Downside: more expensive and you need to use it within 24 hours after it is activated. Upside: more durable.

https://www.spraymax.com/en-us/products/product/top-coats/2k-hot-rod-black/

Greg

#12 ·
Mario,

When I did the engine and trans last year in my Wife's 84 Riviera I called a friend with a tow truck and we took it to the local DIY carwash. I spent about $15 with the engine degreaser and the high pressure spray but it was well worth it. 35 years worth of dirt etc came off very easily and I had very little else to do. It was well worth the tow bill and the carwash bill to get it spotless.

There is no way I could have done it that easily at home.

#14 ·
Greg I see that site, but I don't see anywhere to buy the stuff. Where did you buy it? this is the first time I've a 2k product in a spray can.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.