Team Chevelle banner

Identify Authentic El Camino SS '70

4K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  Robinls5 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm new in this forum.
I want to buy a '70 el camino SS and i was asking myself if it is possible to identify the SS from the Gear shifter.
Did the '70 SS had the gear shifter only in front of the seats or did they have them behind the steering wheel too sometime?

Thanks

#2 ·
I would think the shifter would be available on the column or the floor, so that is no indication of SS status. Determining if it is an SS is a lot more involved than a simple look-see at the shifter. Original paperwork, or numbers matching engine would be required. Be aware that numbers matching means a lot of things to different people, but there is only one engine and transmission in the world that would truly be matching numbers... and that is the ones that came from the factory in it (unless it has been changed under warranty).

#4 ·
I may be able to help. I have a 1970 SS 454-M/22 El Camino that I ordered in Feb. of 70. MANY FOLKS on T-Chevelle can and will help.
One thing that is for sure,,, It MUST be a 13680 body to start with. If the body is NOT a 13680 it is NOT and never will be a Z-15 or a Z-25 1970 El Camino.
Chevrolet used ONLY the 13680 Camino Body for the SS conversion.
Bob

Reactions: IFLY and davewho1
#7 ·
#12 ·
If and when you find your El Camino post some pictures here on TC so the El Camino experts (not me:D) can help you with your goal.Good Luck in your search. :thumbsup:

#10 ·
Get an inspection camera and snake it along the top of your gas tank, you just might find your build sheet. Mine was there when I pulled the tank to replace it with an EFI tank, my car was a Van Nuys build. While it is a little faded, it is readable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.