Chevelle Tech - View Single Post - When these cars were cheap and plentiful
View Single Post
post #28 of (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 19, 12:14 PM
Chevelle Freak
Rian

Re: When these cars were cheap and plentiful

My first car was a 1970 Malibu that I got when I was 15, back in 1979. It was factory equipped with an LS3 B.B. 402, a Muncie M20 4-speed, front disc brakes, a console, and bucket seats. I didn't know how to work on it myself, so I sold it less than a year later. In early 2004, I set out to locate the car. My insurance agent (from 1979) still had a copy of my old policy which showed the VIN. A friend of a friend of a friend was a police office who agreed to run the VIN and find the current owner for me. Using that information, I found my car in a town about 2 hours away (in another State).

I approached the owner and tried to buy the car from him. He was sentimental about it since his Dad had worked on it with him prior to his death; therefore, he didn't want to sell it. I told him that I was sentimental about the car since it was my first. I then sent follow up letters to him every six months asking him to contact me if he ever wanted to sell it. In late 2006 one of his sisters called me and said that he had died. She said that the day before he died he told her to sell the car back to me; "that I should have it". Although it had been cloned, it was still in very good condition. I bought the car from his sisters the next day and don't plan to ever sell it.

His sisters told me that he loved the car so much that he had a photo of it laser etched on his tombstone. I visited the cemetery (in the Chevelle) and saw the headstone for myself. Attached are photos of the car (with me in 1979) and again in 2016.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1970 Chevelle 4.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	600758   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06708.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	210.3 KB
ID:	600760  

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome