post #16 of (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 19, 3:46 PM
KCMO454
Tech Team
Richard

Garage
Re: When these cars were cheap and plentiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad1969 View Post
what it was like walking around a Chevy dealership in the 60's or early 70's.

So old timers what do you say take a trip down memory lane and let the young'uns know what it was like.
I posted this once before but here it is again.

I bought my 70 SS new when I lived in Kansas City, Mo. It was late 1969 when I decided I wanted a car with more ponies than what my current car had which was 1967 GTO. At that time I had been reading up on the current muscle cars in the car magazines and read about GM coming out with a 454 engine in their 1970 SS Chevelle and that was a big deal! It was also the muscle car magazines where I learned about the LS6 engine option which GM did not openly advertise.

After visiting several dealerships with none of them having a 1970 SS Chevelle on their lot or even aware of what the LS6 option was I finally visited Van Chevrolet in Shawnee Mission, Kansas. They had a red SS Chevelle with saddle interior and black stripes (like the ones so often seen in their advertising brochures) sitting out front in a prominent location to get the attention of young eager car shoppers like myself.

I talked to a salesman with the last name of DeSpain and told him what I was looking for. He led me out to another location on their large lot where there were several beautiful 1970 SS Chevelles, all sitting in a neat row (Iíd love to have a photo of what I saw). I do not recall what engines were in the individual cars but he gave me the keys to one that had an LS6 engine and told me to start it up. I canít describe the exhilarating impression it made on me when I started that LS6 up and heard and felt it running. The salesman knew what he was doing, lol and it didnít take long for me to decide that I had to have the LS6 so I ordered it the way I wanted it. It was my daily driver for the next three years and after I got married it was then my wifeís daily driver for about the next eight years.

1970 SS LS6 original drive train - one owner
Astro Blue - Ivory bench - M22 - 4:10

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome