Chevelle Tech - View Single Post - Close or wide ratio t56?
View Single Post
post #23 of (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 19, 1:26 AM
-SS454-
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Re: Close or wide ratio t56?

I went with the close ratio and I am happy with it.

With the 3.31 gears, street driving wasn't a problem. Ceramic RXT clutch was a bit chattery. Sure I would have liked a 2.97 first gear with the 3.31s at the drag strip, but stop light to stop light the 2.66 gear was nice. Once the car is moving, the gear spread is really enjoyable and you can always find the right gear for the speed you're going. If I had a 0.50 6th with my 3.31s, or even 3.55s, it'd be useless below 120 kph. Speed limit here is 100 kph.

Now I have gone with 3.91s, but haven't driven it yet to compare. But now my first gear SLR is 10.40, which is plenty of a street/strip car. 6th gear won't be as nice, the 0.50 would be more ideal now, but I think still fine, especially since I don't highway drive it that often.

If you want spend the big bucks, look at Liberty transmissions. They make a Magnum based gearset with 2.71 first, and 0.54 6th. Pretty much perfect.

1971 Chevelle SS454, T56 Magnum 6 speed, 3.31 Posi

Youtube Channel.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Instagram:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twitter:

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome