View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 19, 2:56 PM
fr8dog
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Re: noisy valvetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorchevelle View Post
My fresh motor has a compcams retro hydraulic roller installed, when the oil warms up it is so noisy (valvoline VR 20/50) i have been over it with a stethoscope it sounds like a sewing machine but when that noise bounces of walls and parked cars it sounds like it needs a rebuild, I have seen some posts suggesting this is normal and you just live with it but it is very annoying, any one else having the same problem?
I have the morel 4603 hyd roller lifters, some have had issues with them being noisy. 10w/30 oil seems to be the sweet spot for me, where the lifters are quiet and my hot oil pressure at idle is reasonable.

On a different note, my 2017 F-350 dually with the 6.7 diesel had what sounds like a type writer noise. Once I began using 5w/40 synthetic, the tick went away. I was in a pinch last oil change and used 15w/40 Dino and the typewriter noise is back. Going back to 5w/40 this fall.

Jeff

64 El Camino Pro street, 496, T-400, 9" 3.73

Video:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome