View Single Post
post #7 of (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 19, 8:12 AM Thread Starter
Nazarah
Tech Team
Matt

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Nazarah
Re: GearVendor's install on a 1970 Chevelle SS

I went back out last night after work for just a bit. Busted out the air hammer and got a feel for it. This is the first time I've ever used an air hammer. It's not all that bad. I used the Ingersoll Rand 114GQC. Pro tip - if you ever need to knock loose any and all debris from under a car that might have accumulated over the past 20 years, just use one of these things for about 10 minutes. The amount of junk that fell out of there was amazing!

After about 40 minutes of working with it I had enough clearance to comfortably get the tail shaft housing bolted up. Also gave it enough room to keep the accessories ran out of their same hole. The shift cable might rub a tad bit once the actual OD unit is installed. If that is the case I'll out a piece of rubber hose around it in that area to keep it from rubbing through. But I think it's going to work!

After that I was covered in tons old undercoating that had flaked off, safety glasses were fogging up constantly from the heat in the garage, and had ripped through my last glove. Decided to call it a night and end on a good note.

Next up is bringing the car down, and making sure this did not have an effect on how the console sits in the car, or where the shifter is mounted. If not, on to bolting the cross member back up and moving on to the actual OD unit! I've read that I may have to do some clearance on the cross member for the sump pan on the OD unit. The extra info they sent for Chevelle's with the OD unit says that if you do a good job with clearance on the tunnel you shouldn't have to do that. Here's hoping for option #2.

Never stop learning!

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome