Chevelle Tech - View Single Post - Ford's Super Duty Powertrains...
View Single Post
post #8 of (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 19, 5:50 PM
fr8dog
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Re: Ford's Super Duty Powertrains...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulb122 View Post
I think those guys were comparing it to v10s in motorhomes, and other current gas engines. I think they expected numbers that would blow away current gas offerings and were dissapointed. But, the 7.3 wasn't designed to make diesel numbers. It was meant to be a more efficient gas option.

Diesel will always trump gas for outright towing power, but it's not for everyone. A good gasser can be sufficient for many, and efficiency can make them even better. Gas pickups weigh less, cost less, and in 3/4 tons, can have more payload capacity (and less towing capability)
Fords V10 was inevitably not going to pass more restrictive emission regulations and has had some issues dropping valves, in as little as 60k miles. They weren’t very powerful and are very thirsty. The gas motor option can be a great option for those not looking for monster towing capacity but want increased payload, such a slide in camper types.

As long as ford doesn’t go crazy on the 7.3 gasser price ,as an optional engine, and the 7.3 can muster acceptable mpg towing, I think it could sell well. I do have to admit that ford engineers paid homage to GM’s LS design,(have you seen pics of the new 7.3 and how similar it looks to an LS?), on their new “pushrod” big block. Many thought the 460 LIMA motor was going to be fords last pushrod ohv big block?

Jeff

64 El Camino Pro street, 496, T-400, 9" 3.73

Video:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome