Chevelle Tech - View Single Post - Thinking of going from MSD to HEi
View Single Post
post #29 of (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 19, 4:29 PM
Chris27
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Re: Thinking of going from MSD to HEi

I've had my MSD 6AL box since 1994, never had an issue. I used to run a GM HEI with the MSD adapter plug. Worked fine for years until I melted the cap. Then I went to an MSD "Streetfire" HEI, which basically translates to "Chinese made junk". After that I bought an obsolete MSD "magnetic pick up" distributor, basically the ancestor to the current "pro billet" series. Re-used my old 6AL and have never had a problem since. If you can find old MSD stuff, it seems to last forever. If you can find a good quality HEI, it seems to be reliable. No matter what you go with, avoid anything from China for your North American car and you'll be fine. BTW, my car runs cleaner and idles better with the MSD setup. Setting timing is also easier, with the HEI it seemed to bounce around at idle. Absolutely no difference in 1/4 mile performance between the 2.

1969 Beaumont
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1977 Bronco
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The rest are boring responsible adult vehicles not worth mentioning.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome