post #10 of (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 19, 2:57 PM
1966_L78
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage
Re: Bench to bucket conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I've had my 65 El Camino for about a year and I really do not like the bench seat. It may be that it was just over-stuffed at some point but I really can't get a good seating position.

My questions are:

Do you think I will be happier with Buckets? My first new car was a 65 Malibu SS, and I don't remember having trouble getting a comfortable driving position. But that was 54 years ago.

Is $800 a reasonable price for a set that will need a lot of restoration? I'm assuming that I could spend another $500 or more to restore them.

What modification are need to the floor to convert from bench to bucket?

Thanks,

Don
Although its for the 66-72 Strato Buckets, this is a great thread about restoring seats...

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/26-...t-rebuild.html

As for the conversion, again there is lots of info on 66+. Most resto suppliers offer bracket kits to add the inner mounts to the floor. I know 66+ also uses a additional mount at the outer-front location, but I do no psecifically know if thats required for 64/65 seats. The floor pans are basically the same 64-72...

The usual recommendation is to buy the 4-piece kit, rather than the two piece kit (that lacks that front-outer bracket/mount)...

Search the forum here, and you will find several threads on bench-to-bucket conversions, perhaps even a 64/65...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

Sold

&

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome