post #9 of (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 19, 1:41 PM
1966_L78
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage
Re: Bench to bucket conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
What I always thought would be perfect for an ElCamino was a Stratobench. Don't know if one will fit in a 65 though. If it will you could probably have a custom cover made in 65 pattern. If you don't know what a Stratobench is it is a bench seat with buckets built in and a foldable armrest in the middle. Guess one could be made to fit by cutting the frame down seeing as how custom cover would have to be made anyway. Saw one recently on CL for $250.00
Also there is a sticky in this forum for bench to bucket conversion.
I also like the idea of a Strato-Bench... BUT...

The "Strato" style seats first appeared in 1966 model year. They will not look correct in a 64/65, Of course, they still could look reasonable.

Not sure, but all the Strato Bench seats I have seen were 1969 and later (based on the release button.).

IIRC, these will fit in a Chevelle/El Camino, or maybe thats just the Pontiac Grand Prix versions... I think the Olds Toronado (front wheel drive) version may not clear the trans tunnel.

As for "correct" seats, if you want to use correct seat upholstery, do some research. GTO/Lemans, etc should work, but beware, I think Corvair are similar looking, but the covers are a different size (meaning repro Chevelle covers won't fit)...

Buckets have gone up in price, and there are regional differences, but IMO $800 for a set that needs full resto AND shipping is WAY too high... Usually 66-72 seats are a little higher priced compared to 64/65, and even those aren't worth that $800 eBay price...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

Sold

&

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome