Chevelle Tech - View Single Post - Help me determine trans. cooler fitting.
View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old May 28th, 19, 9:09 PM
Dean
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage
Re: Help me determine trans. cooler fitting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by any4xx View Post
Thank you. I had to resort to Amazon, as I want to get it back together and Summit wont ship until the 28th.

On a related note, Ive never been able to figure out thread sizes past the standard USS and SAE. Those make sense. But how is it that a 1/4 NPT or NPS fitting is slightly larger that 1/2 in diameter? I can only guess they are talking about threaded pipe with an inside diameter of 1/4?

Those and tubing fitting sizes make my head spin.
Yes, national pipe size names are ID but the sizes called are nominal because through the years better metal allowed for thinner walled pipe but taps and dies were already set for the pipe OD so now pipe does not measure either ID or OD what it's called.

Straight pipe threads are used on some things such as electrical fixtures and fittings and like the above pictured fittings that use gaskets rather than tapered threads to make the seal.

One thing that makes it more confusing is that some fittings with straight threads are almost the same size as NPT sizes are are hard to tell apart.

Tubing makes sense because it's measured by the O D

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome