post #6 of (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 12:00 PM
Dean
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage
Re: 2014 Tahoe A/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdelgado View Post
No, i don't have any friends with gauges or a leak detector. what's a leak detector? Like a leak down test?

I assume if I got a bottle at the parts store with the gauge on it, that will tell me if I have any pressure in the system?

Can you recommend a refrigerant with dye off amazon? They'll probably ship it to me faster than i can get to a store
Probably not much difference in brands, just price.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=r134+refr...b_sb_ss_i_1_22

The thing is you don't want to dump refrigerant into a system that has leaked down to zero and now has air in it. The air needs to be evacuated out first to avoid high head pressure and contaminants.

I never used a parts store bottle with a gauge so I don't know the answer but I would guess the gauge would show pressure in the system before you start opening up the bottle. (I always use gauges and a 30 Lb drum.)

Anyway, dumping refrigerant into the suction side with engine running only takes a few minutes, not an hour.

I use a leak detector a little like this one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Dean; Jun 16th, 19 at 1:34 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome