Chevelle Tech - View Single Post - got it running!
Thread: got it running!
View Single Post
post #12 of (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 19, 7:52 PM
Jebchevelle
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Re: got it running!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteMan454 View Post
Hey guys, I actually didn't use a adapter; the carb and manifold both use the 4150 series flange. ( I need to change my stats )

I am using the thickest welding cable I could buy as a cabling, all the way to the starter

https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...t-/A-p8228041e

I have 3 grounds with the same cables size attached to the frame..2 from the engine and 1 to the frame..

-I would like to try a ground from the negative post of the battery to the starter at some point and see if it makes a difference.
-Perhaps 90 amp Ford style solenoid might be giving me some problems or the 150 amp cut off switch? I don't know if the lower amperage rating on these items might give me a voltage drop?

To start the engine I turn on the pump to fill the bowls and then turn it off..I then turn over the starter and hit the IGN..

I went to a battery store last night and learned a lot. If I wasn't looking into short term solutions I would get a Northstar AGM battery, they initially give a lot of cold cranking for a few seconds and then steady down to a lower level. This engine was using a Optima red top battery to start it before that uses the AGM technology. My 78DT we cell battery is probably damaged due to being worked below 10 volts..

A separate battery for the IGN system might be a good option as well, for now I will try the 2 battery method..
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifershammer View Post
I would try using larger battery cables before going to a 2nd battery. My $0.02 is that the second battery is just masking a voltage/amp drop problem.

https://www.wiringproducts.com/battery-cable
He is correct! Welding cable is not good for 12volt as it has too much resistance, you really need to look at the link above I quoted and see the difference, 12 volt battery specific cable looses less amps and voltage over distance then welding cable, many a racer has chased voltage drop due to using welding cable instead of proper 12volt cables. Just FWIW.

78 Malibu, 402, eddy heads, 174 B&M blower, th350, holley sniper EFI, 9" 3:70, 26X8.50-15 slicks.
69 VW baja 1679cc. stick shift toy.
96 chevy 1500, tow vehicle.
03 yz85 fun bike.
04 scion XB daily driver.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome