Chevelle Tech - View Single Post - What to do with old oil.....
View Single Post
post #23 of (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 19, 7:22 AM
Hotwire
Tech Team
Jeff

Re: What to do with old oil.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurkey View Post
The stuff is sixty-five million years old when they pump it out of the ground.

Thirty years in the can doesn't seem so bad. If this oil is from the era of viscosity problems, no, I wouldn't use it except on bicycle chains or hinge pins. If this were some other brand...I'd be fine with it.

Yes, I remember the Quaker State viscosity problems from decades ago. QS bought a bunch of engines. Somehow, everyone remembers they had problems, no-one thinks those problems were solved decades ago.

OTOH, I don't know how anyone could buy a Firestone tire after they killed so many people with the Firestone 500 (and then again with the Ford Exploders.) But then, I don't know how anyone could buy a Ford after the Pinto.
Your statements are correct, but.. how many people do you know pumping oil out of the ground straight into their crankcase? The crude oil goes through miles of refining with a lot of chemical processes and additives along the way. This process leaves the oil in a somewhat stable / unstable state. Over time it will break down and not provide the protection it was designed for.

*Jeff*

Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
LQ4 / T56 Swap
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome