Team Chevelle banner

kidney stone survivors ?

1K views 25 replies 22 participants last post by  pduncan 
#1 ·
had my 3rd one and worst one 2 days ago.

It started out as a cramp and within 30 minutes I was bent over vomiting . I called 911 and by the time I arrived at the hospital I was pretty much wasted. I offered the driver $100.00 to knock me out.

When I arrived they thought I had a twisted upper intestine but the x ray and cat scan showed the problem, a 2mm stone lodged above my bladder. They shot me up with morphine that did nothing, they they gave me a double does of something that finally knocked me out.

I woke an hour later. By then it had passed and I was on my way home.

On the way out the doctor had one last piece of bad news, during the cat scan they found another 2MM stone in my other kidney ready to drop.......errrrrrrr

#3 ·
Can't the Doc use ultrasonic to shatter the stones to smithereens and facilitate passing with less pain? Geez- I've heard about these stones and from what I've heard childbirth is a comparable discomfort. Either way hope you feel better soon!

Reactions: BTK
#5 ·
I could write a book on kidney stones, having been plagued with them for most of my adult life. My heart goes out to you, Mike. Hang in there, brother, and drink lots of water.

RonO: Lithotripsy can only be performed when the stone (or stones) are residing in a kidney. What Mike describes is almost without a doubt a stone moving through the ureter, the tube that runs from kidney to bladder. The pain from this can be unbearable. Lithotripsy does work, however, as about 20 years ago I had a stone in my kidney as large as a walnut, according to the urologist. He performed the lithotripsy procedure, which is placing a person into a tub of fluid, sedating them and bombasting the affected kidney with ultrasonic waves. The victim is then left to pee out the tiny particles that are left over.

#7 ·
My wife went through one of those years ago. The doctor said to her if you didnt have the sedation, it would feel like someone was beating you with a bat! She was bruised and very weak after that. I felt so bad for her. Shes a tough girl. She usually gets some here and there and passes them.

#9 ·
Passed a stone last spring while out riding my motorcycle, my friends and I still laugh about it, well I laugh now. I sure wasn’t when I was laying in a gas station parking lot in intense pain (we had just stopped for gas) waiting for the ambulance to take me to the hospital. I wouldn’t wish that amount of pain on my ex-wife!

The problem with designing something completely foolproof, is you underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

#10 ·
X4... Doc said they were the size of Virginia peanuts to big to pass. Three were blasted with lithotripsy, one with a laser.
You don't even want to know how they get the laser to the stone so they can blast.
Lots of water and lots of trips to the bathroom at night

#11 ·
A guy at work about 15-20 years ago got them a lot. He'd come back from the rest room & say caught it, here it is.

#12 ·
Think of it as trying to piss out a sea urchin down through the ureter and out. I've had two bouts with these and they thought my last one was appendicitis but the MRI told the real story.

It is excruciating pain but the morphine takes care of it. They gave me Phenergan for the nausea. Thank goodness that I have two forms of excellent insurance because it would have otherwise been an over $6000 trip to the hospital that day. I was still on active duty for the first attack - no idea what that cost.

Rick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

#14 ·
The first time I had stones, about 35 years ago, I laid in the hospital for almost a week loaded up on morphine, before they decided the stone wasn't going to pass so they would go up and retrieve it. There was no lithotripsy back then. As I recall they put me out to do it, but when I woke up from that, I had to take a leak and it hurt like hell and there was more blood than urine. :surprise:

#16 ·
I've had 1 so far. It was a 0.7-0.8 cm. I remember I had back ache all day while at work, no stretch or back crack would help. Next day I was fine. Then the following morning I collapsed to the floor and called 911. Paramedics said they thought it was a muscle spasm even though I said I think it was a stone. Then I puked in a bag and they took me to the ER.

They used the ultra sound to break mine up in small chunks. While that damn stone was moving from the kidney to the bladder it was awful. Peeing all those little stones was a relief, not that painful. Very strange feeling having little rocks come out.

#17 ·
When they used ultrasound to break up that huge stone in m kidney they put a stent in my ureter to keep it from plugging up, given all the grit that had to pass. Yes, it is strange to feel all that grit coming out while you pee. Then, when it was all over, they went up me to retrieve their stent. By that time, I'd had my fill of clinics, hospitals and urologists.

Reactions: davewho1
#19 ·
I´ve had 5. When I had my kidneys x-rayed after the third I had 5 in right kidney. Have had one pass in each since that.
Also had to remove my gallblader after a inflamation from a gallstone the gallbladder was full of stones.
The kidneystones was most painful even though I got very sick from the gallblader inflamation.
I feel your pain.

Reactions: Saltherring
#20 ·
I've had one, it was very painful. Kept feeling like someone was sticking a knife in my back. Ended up going to the ER, and they confirmed it was a kidney stone. They gave me something for pain, and supposedly something to help dissolve it. Funny thing is I never felt it pass. I was doing some home remedy stuff. I would mix lemon juice mixed with extra virgin olive oil, drink that then follow with a glass of water. The thought are that the acid in the lemon juice will help break up the stone, and the olive oil helps lubricate the passage to pee it out. Not sure if it worked, but it did taste horrible lol

#22 ·
Proper hydration in general, no snake oil req'd. Not that any of that is bad for you. Lemons good!

Only once. Thought i was having a baby, cramps, muscles fluttering, felt like flu... then my penis disappears....:eek:.... I go to whizz and this tiny fleck of black comes popping out. WTF? Nurse said I ought have fished it out; I thought to but ....eff it, that LITTLE %*@^#)%!&!!! had me kvetching in near critical pain at times..made my angry inch run and hide like someone done threatened to cut it off... naw.......put it behind me....... :eek: Holy crow they suck bad.... I feel for y'all that have multiples.... :(

Good news, in a way is, anymore hydration is key to keeping my BP at bay so.... I tank up alot.....and hope to never have a .09mm baby again. Kicked my ass.

#23 ·
Three times so far. First was in college, age 18, was doing a lot of weight lifting and thought I pulled a back muscle, which got worse to the point of bucking into the fetal position, going to Urgent Care to pee in a strainer and caught three stone.

Ten years later, age 28, sitting at work, left that back pain starting and now knew what I was in for and went home. Passed a 10mm stone that my Urologist ask to keep. And again, at age 50, lower right front, thought it was my Appendix, went to ER this time and scans showed stone lodged. Funny thing was the ER doctor on call said he was just in for the same thing, thinking it was his Appendix, because kidney stone pain usually starts in your back.

You become good friends with your Urologist, who said is water, water and more water with some lemon added. I'd had a standing appointment every three years and now it’s every five years. Just went and stone free and PSA is .68 another bonus. For 25 years my PSA has been under 1.00 with the Urologist stating that with over 25,000 patients, he’s seen only 1 develop prostate cancer that was consistently under 1.00.

On a final note, a kidney stone is as close to birthing pain a guy can get – so they say.

Reactions: davewho1
#24 ·
Had my first one at 19, can't even count 'em any more. 12-15 that required some combination of ER, hospital, kidneystone centers. Probably about that many again passed naturally at home. Have had multiple experiences with the four easiest ways to get them out; wait it out, push fluids, retrieve it with a basket, lithotripsy with water/shock waves, laser lithotripsy. Thank goodness never surgery like they now only do for the monster stones. AND, thankful for insurance, one of them was $34000 (I could buy another El Camino for that!). Still, the first $5000 or so is on us so it can certainly affect your financial health as well.

My urologist (we're on a first name basis at this point) is nice enough to give me a small supply of dilaudid to try to tough them out at home first. You never know if they'll be easy or not.

This was by far the biggest I've ever knowingly had and it passed almost painlessly; didn't even know I had it until it was in the bladder!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.