post #17 of (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 19, 12:47 AM
1966_L78
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage
Re: Questions About Electric Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69SS454 View Post
...hybrid cars have been out for a decade and I have never heard of anyone needing to buy batteries for them.
You should have... Its pretty common for Hybrids to need battery replacement after 150,000-200,000 miles...

My neighbor has a 2005 Prius (I am thinking of buying it), and I was researching the cost of battery replacement... Then the neighbor told me he already had the battery replaced about 2 years ago, genuine Toyota battery, cost $3500 with labor and 3-year warrantee...

But on the Prius, the battery consists of numerous "cells" or modules (I think it was 28 modules on those older Prius'), and you can buy new modules for about $80 each and used/tested/warrantied modules for as low as $30 each... Takes a few hours, but it not a difficult job for a handy person or gearhead ( I watched several YouTube videos)... From what I was reading, usually its just a module of two that go bad, and rarely does the entire battery fail...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

Sold

&

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome