View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 19, 3:54 PM
fr8dog
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Re: Adding a 3rd Brake Light to a '67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickles View Post
I read a couple of threads about adding a 3rd Brake Light, but, apparently, they were too old to reply to.

Just wondering if anyone has tried, or your thoughts on, one of these 36" strips on ebay that stick to the top of the back window glass? In one of the listings it noted they connect to both L&R brake lamps.

Or would a factory, '86 Monte Carlo or the like, from the scrapyard still be a better looking choice?

I guess Iíll take the contrarian view on adding a 3rd brakelight. I highly suggest it. The motoring public is so distracted these days, theyíre also conditioned to seeing late model bright LED taillights including a 3rd brake light. Throw in an older vehicle with small taillights that arenít LED bright, no 3rd brakelight, around sunset and you have the perfect setup to be getting rear-ended, imho.

I added a small Led strip 3rd brake light that I found at a heavy truck parts place. My new wiring harness already had the wiring in place for it. My back window is flat (El Camino)so I didnít need a curved housing to mount the unit Iím using. Itís super bright and thin and about 6-8Ē wide. I saw a huge improvement with drivers riding my ass in the 64 ever since adding it. In fact itís slightly below eye level for most drivers in cars and gets their attention fast and I see their front ends dipping as they jamb the brakes on. I still watch my mirrors, especially the RVM, but to me, itís a no-brainer to add something that could prevent an accident.

Jeff

64 El Camino Pro street, 496, T-400, 9" 3.73

Video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1MpS5aA2WY

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome