Man dies after car falls on him - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 17, 7:36 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dean

Man dies after car falls on him

Don't let this be one of us.

Man dies after car falls on him in Adelanto - Victor Valley News | VVNG.com

"Iím the one thatís got to die when itís time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to."
Jimi Hendrix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 17, 7:43 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage
Re: Man dies after car falls on him

Last year, I caught my 75-year old neighbor under his 1958 Chrysler Windsor wagon. He had the front wheel off, and the car was only raised with a smaller, old floor jack... He was trying to loosen a brake line (so quite a bit of effort expended)... Oh yeah, the car was on his driveway which has about a 10% slope! Parking brake and a wheel chock, but still...

I gave him grief about not using a jackstand... So next time I saw him under one of his cars, he pointed out the jackstand...

I am paranoid enough, that even with jackstands AND the floor jack, I usually throw the wheel under the frame, just in case something happens...

Ouch!
gspan1830, Buzzbomb, LeoP and 2 others like this.

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

Sold

&

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 17, 7:50 PM

Garage

I usually put two jackstands under em now, this is something that does scare me.
68Cpe307 likes this.

A Body Love!
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 17, 10:02 PM
Gold Member

This happens too often and is too easy to avoid. With all the low cost Chinese jack stands there is no excuse for not using them. We lost a guy at a place I worked to this. He failed to show up for work on Monday and then Tuesday. The company called the police for a welfare check on him; too late. I have seen guys take a wheel off a car and lay it flat on the ground and slide it under the car. That is a lot better than nothing.
shovelrick likes this.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 17, 10:54 PM
Team Member
John

Garage

I always have a minimum of two jack stands under my car, and I usually leave the floor jack in place also unless it is in the way. As soon as the car settles on the stands, I also give it a good shake to ensure it is secure. The other thing that people seem to neglect is eye protection... you know you can't work on it if you can't see anymore!
Kirk's67SS and shovelrick like this.

70 El Camino SS 396/TH400
67 Cutlass Supreme convert LS3/4LE85
65 GTO convert Tri Power 4 speed
65 Corvair Corsa Crown Conversion (Mid engine 350)
05 Silverado 2500 Duramax/Allison
06 GTO 6 speed
11 Honda Accord 6 speed coupe
14 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Ultra Limited
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 17, 11:02 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

My buddy's dad was always preaching to us when we were working on cars in his backyard that's why I was so surprised when later his car fell on him and killed him.
They think he was greasing it and when he turned the wheels to be able to get to a zirk on a tie rod it fell off the jack.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 17, 11:23 PM
Tech Team
Joe

My father had his 1949 Nash on a bumper jack with the right front wheel off. He was under the car from the front checking the bottom of the radiator for a leak when the jack dropped the car. It fell on the above ground roots of a giant Sycamore tree it was parked next to. Had it not been for those large roots stopping the car from going all the way to the ground, I wouldn't be writing this as it happened before I came along.
I also use the two jack stand procedure.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 17, 11:46 PM
Tech Team
Wayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966_L78 View Post

I am paranoid enough, that even with jackstands AND the floor jack, I usually throw the wheel under the frame, just in case something happens...

Ouch!
I do the same

Last edited by davewho1; Jul 19th, 17 at 8:29 PM. Reason: fixed quote
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 17, 12:03 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
John

Always taught to throw something big underneath (rim or log) when working underneath just in case. Lost a high school friend to a slipped jack.

John

Instructions...All I need is the exploded view.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 17, 9:06 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enganeer View Post
Lost a high school friend to a slipped jack.
Same here. He was removing a 4 speed from a '63 Impala with ONLY a bumper jack! Left a wife and new baby. She found him when he didn't come in for supper.

When I works, I works hard.
When I sits, I sits loose.
When I thinks, I falls asleep.

The '68 L79 Malibu survivor as found in Nov. 2014, in my profile pic.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 17, 9:47 AM
Tech Team
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19sixty5 View Post
I always have a minimum of two jack stands under my car, and I usually leave the floor jack in place also unless it is in the way. As soon as the car settles on the stands, I also give it a good shake to ensure it is secure. The other thing that people seem to neglect is eye protection... you know you can't work on it if you can't see anymore!
I do the same...and am still paranoid when under the car. I climb out several times, shake the car around a little and inspect while having to work on anything that requires me to be down there.

1966 SS 396 4 speed Chevelle

1968 Chevelle Malibu
Family owned since new
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 17, 10:22 AM
Senior Tech Team
Bart

Garage

I use jack stands but I don't trust them 100% either, I have seen jack stands tip over on uneven areas. I use drive on ramps when I can and when I can't, i use jack stands and then slide the ramps up under the frame and leave the jack in place as well.
RAMBO, badrad, Kirk's67SS and 1 others like this.

There's nothing wrong with being stupid as long as you know you're stupid, it's when you're stupid and don't know it that you become dangerous.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 17, 12:06 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart_Swisher View Post
I use jack stands but I don't trust them 100% either, I have seen jack stands tip over on uneven areas. I use drive on ramps when I can and when I can't, i use jack stands and then slide the ramps up under the frame and leave the jack in place as well.
THIS!
I don't like jack stands anywhere except under the rear axle... everywhere else they always look like they could slip at any moment.

I have a heavy duty set of reinforced ramps... if my work doesn't require the suspension hanging or removing wheels, I always jack up the car and set it back down on the ramps.
shovelrick likes this.

Ben R.

-

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 17, 12:08 PM
Gold Founding Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ElCameeeno

I stopped using those metal ramps when I drove my Chevelle up on them, got out of the car just as the drivers side collapsed. another couple of minutes and I would have been toast. Now its two jack stands and a floor jack at the minimum.

Jon

TC Gold Member #08
-----------------------
'71 SS454/M22 El Camino
'68 Chevelle/M22
'72 6 cylinder El Camino
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 17, 12:19 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ga69abody View Post
I do the same
x3
Had brand new oversized stands fail for no reason, I always put the jack with some pressure on front/rear just in case.

many yrs ago had a car come down on me was pinned in the trans tunnel, crushed me real good. Thank god there were people nearby dont remember them getting the car back up and being drug out. Dread getting under lowered cars to this day.

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 916 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.