Cape cod expansion - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 17, 1:16 PM Thread Starter
jac
Lifetime Premium Member

Cape cod expansion

My daughter and my 3 grandkids are losing their home and will have to move in with me. What are the steps needed to go through to expand my Cape ,Thanks Joe

70ss nassau blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 17, 10:54 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Terrence

Re: Cape cod expansion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac View Post
My daughter and my 3 grandkids are losing their home and will have to move in with me. What are the steps needed to go through to expand my Cape ,Thanks Joe
How many bedrooms are available now? finished cellar? Is this permanent or just till something turns around?

69 Chevelle Convert
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 17, 8:32 AM Thread Starter
jac
Lifetime Premium Member

Three bedrooms,finished cellar and only 1 bedroom. They are losing home because of a rotten ex husband ! it will be my daughter,2 teenage girls and a teenage boy. I want to raise the roof on the back side and add one bedroom and bathroom,

Just want to know where to start, I thought get plans,then a builder? Do I need a general contractor or get a framer,roofer,inside wall,plumber ,electrician on my own? Thanks Joe

70ss nassau blue
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 17, 9:52 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Terrence

I'd first start with your town and see if you can. Even if your neighbors have one laws change. You will need to know what you can do.
Then get plans. There are on line plans that the town will need submitted to give you a permit. google around. Here's an example https://www.thehousedesigners.com/pl...ms-brb12-5176/

Being it is summer now I would be very careful if any builders you contact are not booked up. It would be easier with someone making all the decisions/plans but you pay a premium for it. If it were me i'd do most of the work and hire framers/roofers and other stuff i'm not able to do.

When I got divorced I slept on my mothers floor in a corner on an air mattress for a few months till I got organized. All the bedrooms were full so I did what I had to do. my point is they can make whatever you have work even though it might not be ideal. They are going to have to for 6 months at least before this is built.
I would seriously look at the price vs them renting an apt. even if the boy lives with you and she and the girls get a 2 bedroom.
blue_69_malibu and 66 Bu like this.

69 Chevelle Convert
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 17, 10:02 AM
Gold Founding Member

Garage

Get a good designer and get real quotes on the work. A real quote is more than a number on a page. They should be given a copy of the plan, and provide you a detailed quotation on the work and it should be according to your specifications without substitutions. If you allow substitutions it makes it harder to compare quotes. Be wary of people whose answer to any question about their quote is "we can do that". If you have never done this before and don't know anyone to trust, there's too many ways to get taken advantage of.

When you have all your quotes and tally the total cost, be prepared to add 10-15% more for contingencies and unknowns. Then take that number and divide it by the amount of square feet added. You may not want to do the work if the price per square foot is more than what houses are selling for in your area.

If a government spent $30bn to find better uses for carrots, there would be carrot appreciation societies, carrot conventions, 400 patents on carrot-based wing-nuts, tents, and textiles, and 4000 peer-reviewed references on worrying declines in carrot hue, nutrients, fertility and genetic diversity, not to mention gender inequality in dietary carrot content
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 17, 11:09 AM
Senior Tech Team

Speaking from experience, GET A CONSTRUCTION BOND!!!

If you get a contractor like mine, the kind you give $38,000 to and they go to the Bahamas, you will wish you had!
66 Bu likes this.

Jeff

`You can't beat City Hall, but you can piss on the steps."
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 17, 1:39 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

Good ideas above, personally, I'd hire a General Contractor. I used a local one when we needed some very minor repairs, I'd seen his truck in the neighborhood many times and he lived just around the corner from me, Good work and timely. Good luck on your search.

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 17, 3:50 PM Thread Starter
jac
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanks for al the input, never heard of a construction bond. Being 71, it is hard for me to do some of the work like I use to. Also my grandson finished up with stage 4 cancer back in June 2016,now he has stage 4 again and will be on Chemo once a week for 18 weeks and then in the hospital for at least a month.

Too bad we do not have a forum of people with different skills by state that we could trust. Thanks

70ss nassau blue
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 17, 4:25 PM
Tech Team

Garage

Seems like a temporary issue. Surely your daughter will want to bounce on her own as soon as she can. Heck, the teens should be out of the house by 18 so not sure if an addition is worth doing at this point.

Sounds if the timeline is going to be tough assuming they'll be moving in within the next 30 days. This time of year, it's probably going to be nearly impossible to get an addition done in that time frame without paying a steep premium. Since you probably can't get it done now, you'll probably get a much better deal come early November. If you have to, throw in a set of bunk beds or two to get by a while. Good luck.

'69 Malibu

Last edited by Not2Fast; Jun 11th, 17 at 4:42 PM.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 17, 4:35 PM
Tech Team
David

Garage

Seems to be much easier, quicker, and Cheaper to rent them a nearby separate residence of some type, rather than tearing your place apart. JMHO...

Dave
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 17, 5:51 PM
Senior Tech Team

Are you planning on building the addition while they are living in the house? If that's the case, do your grandsons doctors think he is well enough for that?

Steve R
blue_69_malibu likes this.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 17, 8:37 PM Thread Starter
jac
Lifetime Premium Member

I am trying to stall her foreclosure as long as possible, just getting prepared ahead of time for the worse. Right now thinking of my grandson with kidney and stage 4 cancer, his father left 7 years ago and could care less what happens to his 3 kids .

70ss nassau blue
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 17, 10:52 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Shane

Will this help?

https://www.angieslist.com/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New oil is cheaper than new parts
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 17, 10:53 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Shane

Quote:
I am trying to stall her foreclosure as long as possible, just getting prepared ahead of time for the worse. Right now thinking of my grandson with kidney and stage 4 cancer, his father left 7 years ago and could care less what happens to his 3 kids .
Sorry to hear about this.

Hope it works out for you.

New oil is cheaper than new parts
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 17, 11:44 PM
Team Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
FWIW, I think you're an extremely decent and good person for helping out your grandson like this. It's got to be.....difficult as hell and tear at your heart strings.

As for your ex son-in-law, I truly hope there is a thing called Karma. I don't get how someone can ignore their own flesh and blood like that.

Steve is right when he says that you have to stabilize and make comfortable your grandson first. Everyone else can simply get by in the meantime.

Fingers crossed and best wishes for you and your family going forward.

'69 Malibu 383/TCI TH350/8.2 3.36 Eaton Posi. Street Edge 10" 2800, E-Tec 170s, Custom Mike Jones HR Cam, RPM Air-Gap, StreetAvenger 770, Pertronix HEI, Hedman 1 5/8" Headers, Moser Axles, PMT 1320R Kit. [email protected] 111 MPH, 1.6865 60 ft, Nitto 555
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 935 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.