Any shade tree carpenters here? - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By SFD
  • 1 Post By blue_69_malibu
  • 1 Post By b&b's69

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 17, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac
Any shade tree carpenters here?

Is there a standard dimension when building a wooden gate frame to the corner posts?
I moved a wooden fence up in the side yard. The fence side I used 2 3/8 metal corner posts and attached a 2x4 to them and screwed 5.5" cedar panels. The other side is the house and there is a 11' opening from the corner post to a 8x8 upright that part of the garage wall. I want to build a 2 panel gate that hinges on the corner post and the 8x8 wooden upright.
I know I can just go to home depot but just curious if there's a standard for hinges. Thanks. Jim

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 6-71 blown small block 400
66 chevelle 350 4 speed 3.55 12 bolt
66 el camino 350 th350 parts hauler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 17, 11:24 PM
SFD
Tech Team
Steve

Garage
Re: Any shade tree carpenters here?

There's no real standard besides a minimum for access. If the width is 11 ft then maybe think about a 36" or 42" access gate and the other larger as fixed with a floor bolt and operable when you need the full 11 ft, the smaller latches to the fixed. Out of wood the larger gate is difficult to prevent sagging. Having a steel or aluminum frame is ideal. Most hasp hinges will hold the weight, it's what your anchoring to that counts, three or four per gate will last your lifetime and distribute the weight better on weaker anchoring substrates like wood.
blue_69_malibu likes this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 17, 9:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Okay fence bbem project is done. Wife liked it so much she now wants a carport built for her new truck. Mainly she wants her truck under shade.
Thoughts is 3 4x4 uprights per side. 2 against the garage 2 about 6 feet out and another 2 another 6 feet.
3 4x4 across the 4x4s and probably 2x4 14 foot long joists. And for the roof wooden lattice panels with 80% black landscape shade under or over the lattice.
Like I said, shade, not trying to keep off the rain. Jim

Jim

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 17, 10:05 PM
SFD
Tech Team
Steve

Garage

I don't think the 2x4's will last as span support with your sun. I used to live out in southern CA and I've seen what that dry sun does. Is it permanent? Change your 4x4's on the garage to a 2x10 ledger board at the height you want, change the 4x4's on the stand alone side to 6x6 rough sawn, bridge the 6x6 and the ledger board with 2x6 minimum rough sawn, overhang the 2x6 at the upright 6x6 a foot or a foot and a half and cut the ends curved or fancy, space all those 8"-12" apart and it should look like a nice pergola and not the cheesy lattice. Wrap the bottoms and tops of the 6x6 with 3/4" (1x6) so it gives them some architectural depth like a column. Use stainless bolts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 17, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

I googled some pergola images and got alot of good ideas. The carport if only 9-10 feet wide. Its a single car carport. Jim

Jim

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 17, 11:12 PM
Senior Tech Team
billy

Garage

sounds cool ! 3 6x6 post along outer perimeter with 4x6 ledger , 2x6 ledger along wall then run 2x4 joist from wall to outer perimeter 24'' on center might be a better option .
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 17, 11:17 PM
Senior Tech Team
billy

Garage

too funny guess sfo chimed in as i was writing
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 17, 11:21 PM
Senior Tech Team
billy

Garage

i was helping with your lattice idea but would go with sfo 's design idea for sure
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 17, 11:31 PM
SFD
Tech Team
Steve

Garage

Yea I'm no carpenter. Built some nice custom furniture in my days, seen a lot of cool custom carpentry stuff built on jobs and have no problem building / remodeling / fixing things at home, is that a shade tree carpenter?? Commercial aluminum & glass industry for the last 32 years. Steve
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 17, 11:37 PM
Team Member
Tony

Garage

My background is/was in cabinet making and custom counter tops....but I agree with the two guys above that your initial plan was not robust enough.

Definitely lose the 4x4s and use 6x6s.

I overbuild everything....but nothing fails.

'69 Malibu 383/TCI TH350/8.2 3.36 Eaton Posi. Street Edge 10" 2800, E-Tec 170s, Custom Mike Jones HR Cam, RPM Air-Gap, StreetAvenger 770, Pertronix HEI, Hedman 1 5/8" Headers, Moser Axles, PMT 1320R Kit. [email protected] 111 MPH, 1.6865 60 ft, Nitto 555
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 17, 11:38 PM
Senior Tech Team
billy

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFD View Post
Yea I'm no carpenter. Built some nice custom furniture in my days, seen a lot of cool custom carpentry stuff built on jobs and have no problem building / remodeling / fixing things at home, is that a shade tree carpenter?? Commercial aluminum & glass industry for the last 32 years. Steve
general commercial carpenter !
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 17, 11:46 PM
Team Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by b&b's69 View Post
general commercial carpenter !
Winner, winner....chicken dinner!

Listen to this guy!!! ^^^^^^^
b&b's69 likes this.

'69 Malibu 383/TCI TH350/8.2 3.36 Eaton Posi. Street Edge 10" 2800, E-Tec 170s, Custom Mike Jones HR Cam, RPM Air-Gap, StreetAvenger 770, Pertronix HEI, Hedman 1 5/8" Headers, Moser Axles, PMT 1320R Kit. [email protected] 111 MPH, 1.6865 60 ft, Nitto 555
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 17, 12:14 AM
Senior Tech Team
billy

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_69_malibu View Post
Winner, winner....chicken dinner!

Listen to this guy!!! ^^^^^^^
exactly ! everyone who knows me says the same thing ! sfd's design idea i like very much ! switch out 2x4-24'' o.c joists and add 2x6 - 12'' o.c joist keeping with measurements i suggested along with sfd's fancy additions and that carport will look great ! 2 people should have it completed in less than a day with proper planning !
blue_69_malibu likes this.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 17, 8:04 PM
SFD
Tech Team
Steve

Garage

Just make sure your playing this out to your wife that these are all your ideas...we'll keep feeding you all kinds of ideas to spend her money and we'll send you the mailing address for the cases of beer in barter for the trade secrets..haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 917 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.