#$@%!* county property tax assessment - Page 5 - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #61 of 77 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 17, 12:05 PM
Tech Team
Bryan

Re: #[email protected]%!* county property tax assessment

Obviously each state and each locality handles property taxes a little different from each other, but in SE Michigan it is the new homeowners who are getting nailed right now. Michigan places a cap on how much the taxable value of your home can increase in a given year, but they keep track of what the value would be without the cap too. So whenever a property is sold, the new owner pays tax based on the uncapped (and usually much higher) value. None of the knucklehead realtors or mortgage brokers explain this to their first time buyers, so a lot of 20 and 30-somethings who are buying their first homes in my area get a big surprise when they get their adjusted tax bill after the first year, and many get taxed out of their own homes after just 12 or 18 months.

'66 SS Clone
Fast Burn 385hp Crate 350 (for now)
Muncie M20 & 3.42 Posi
UMI Stage 2 Suspension all around
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 77 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 17, 1:59 PM
Cam
Gold Founding Member
Cameron Milne

Sorry, when I referred to hydro easement I was referring to the public utilities reserving access rights to an overhead powerline. Like many people, my dad appealed his property assessment; they had heard it all before until he said, "what about the hydro easement?" The assessor looked like Bambi in the headlights. Dad got 'em and got a break on his assessment. Every little bit helps. It won't help me as all our powerlines are buried underground in my neighborhood .

We bought back in 1988 when the market was overheated in Toronto; at that time we paid too much but it was a bidding war to buy anything within Toronto city limits. Ha, you should see it today. Semi-detached houses (which we have) in our neighborhood sell in a matter of hours; across the street from us a neighbor sold her place 2 months ago for $801,000 in 1 day. I would say the market is overheated in our city, but with so many people working in Toronto that have a grueling commute from outside, and with no new land it puts a premium on living inside the city. It is funny but in many major U.S. cities the farther away from the core of the city you go (to a point) the price goes up, but in Toronto it seems to be the opposite. People put a premium on anything that will lessen the commute due to 16 lanes of highway at a crawl. Property taxes on our place run about 3k a year, but based on current property values that means our rate is surprisingly low (meaning they potentially could go up dramatically). Way back when we bought, the assessors kept knocking on our door to see the place. We were "never home ". As far as they knew, we had an unfinished basement. Why give them another reason to tack on another charge? It is totally exploitative. Interest rates are stagnant and at historically low levels. If there is ever another period of hyperinflation like there was around 1981 there are going to be a lot of people walking away due to foreclosure. Luckily we have been mortgage-free for a while (we can't write off a mortgage on our income tax as you can in the U.S.).

"The more you know,
the more you realize there is that you don't know." - Dad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TC Gold #120

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #63 of 77 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 17, 2:04 PM
Cam
Gold Founding Member
Cameron Milne

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry66 View Post
Obviously each state and each locality handles property taxes a little different from each other, but in SE Michigan it is the new homeowners who are getting nailed right now. Michigan places a cap on how much the taxable value of your home can increase in a given year, but they keep track of what the value would be without the cap too. So whenever a property is sold, the new owner pays tax based on the uncapped (and usually much higher) value. None of the knucklehead realtors or mortgage brokers explain this to their first time buyers, so a lot of 20 and 30-somethings who are buying their first homes in my area get a big surprise when they get their adjusted tax bill after the first year, and many get taxed out of their own homes after just 12 or 18 months.
Yup, they will "correct" it at the first opportunity on the back of a new homeowner.

"The more you know,

TC Gold #120

post #64 of 77 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 17, 2:14 PM Thread Starter
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

Ah. The power lines run at the back of my property but right along the property line between me and my backdoor neighbors.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

Rich Cummings
post #65 of 77 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 17, 2:43 PM
Cam
Gold Founding Member
Cameron Milne

The county still retains right-of-way for access when need be, so look into it. Good luck!

"The more you know,

TC Gold #120

post #66 of 77 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 17, 2:50 PM Thread Starter
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
The county still retains right-of-way for access when need be, so look into it. Good luck!
Well, honestly, it would apply to absolutely everybody in town since the power lines run over everyone's back yard property lines, at least in my side of town. But I'll see what I can find out about it. Does that easement lower my property value? Offhand, I don't know how to prove that.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

Rich Cummings
post #67 of 77 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 17, 3:39 PM
Cam
Gold Founding Member
Cameron Milne

I was thinking more that if the utilities had free and clear unfettered access to their main lines, that would (or should) affect your property value to your advantage, taxation-wise. It sounds like it wouldn't fly in your case but it still is worth looking into it and little-known statutes.

"The more you know,

TC Gold #120

post #68 of 77 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 17, 4:46 PM
Tech Team
John

I believe your speaking of a utilities right of way, an easement. A right to cross or otherwise use someone else's land for a specified purpose. Meaning any utility, Elec, Gas, Water that feeds a community (not just your home) that runs on or below your property lowers the value. Your Plot plan should show if there is one.

Andrew's Dad, John
post #69 of 77 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 17, 1:38 PM
Tech Team
Rod

Garage

You know, everyone likes to talk about state employee retirement benefits but seems to forget that in most states these same employees typically or paid 1/2 of what a similar position in private industry would make. I had people laugh and tell me they wouldn't get out of bed for as little as I made working for the state. Yet after dedicating over 30 years to the state, all the while making less than my peers, I retire and now I'm the problem with our state's economy?

Even in the realm of state employee wages Missouri was typically at the bottom of the totem pole. Missouri consistently ranked 48th and lower in average state employee pay. Then, you go as many as 5 or 6 years with no raises only to get a $30 a month raise? It's hard to keep pace with the cost of living at those numbers. But I knew this going into it, and honestly one of the reasons I became a state employee, the benefits.

However, government employees at every level are the low hanging fruit... continue on...

1966 Malibu, 540 BBC FAST XFI EFI, 4L80E Trans, 2800 Stall, Quick Performance 59" 9" Ford Rear End w/3.50 gear
post #70 of 77 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 17, 3:04 PM
Tech Team
Bryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66 Bu View Post
You know, everyone likes to talk about state employee retirement benefits but seems to forget that in most states these same employees typically or paid 1/2 of what a similar position in private industry would make. I had people laugh and tell me they wouldn't get out of bed for as little as I made working for the state. Yet after dedicating over 30 years to the state, all the while making less than my peers, I retire and now I'm the problem with our state's economy?

Even in the realm of state employee wages Missouri was typically at the bottom of the totem pole. Missouri consistently ranked 48th and lower in average state employee pay. Then, you go as many as 5 or 6 years with no raises only to get a $30 a month raise? It's hard to keep pace with the cost of living at those numbers. But I knew this going into it, and honestly one of the reasons I became a state employee, the benefits.

However, government employees at every level are the low hanging fruit... continue on...
I thought it was funny that this angle was worked into the discussion too. Because at least around here, local property taxes fund benefits only for employees and retirees of that particular locality, not at the county/state level. Not to say that I think they are doing a great job at that, but that is a different revenue source.

'66 SS Clone
Fast Burn 385hp Crate 350 (for now)
Muncie M20 & 3.42 Posi
UMI Stage 2 Suspension all around
post #71 of 77 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 17, 6:35 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:

Obviously, some states are more of an issue than others.

But what is often the problem is the government never properly funded the retirement accounts so now the taxpayers will take it in the shorts again to make up the shortfall.
HKalin likes this.

Jeff

`You can't beat City Hall, but you can piss on the steps."
post #72 of 77 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 17, 6:53 PM
Tech Team
John

Nebraska abolished what they called state property tax in 1966...and then started using this one.

PDF]The Basics of Nebraska's Property Tax - Nebraska Legislature

Political subdivisions began levying property taxes in 1867
and have been exclusively levying property taxes since 1967.
Today, property tax is the primary revenue raising tool for
political subdivisions, and in fiscal year 2013-1014, property
tax revenue comprised approximately 39 percent of all state
and local tax revenue collected in Nebraska.

The rest goes to local county support. Infrastructure, schools, fire, police and so on. We all need to support the areas we live in....i'm just wondering how long i can support this area after i retire..... Central Neb. has a few counties that have a low median rate, $900 compared to $2100 for mine. Not much out there but the 2 lane black tops are a nice place to open the throttle...
post #73 of 77 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 17, 9:33 PM
Tech Team

Quote:

In the old days Gov employees were paid less than private sector employees for the same work. That changed a few years back, now the Gov jobs are the ones to have because most of them pay more. Not to mention, most private sector jobs don't pay a pension.

It's sad that it's ended up this way, but it's not like the system was ever going to last anyways... it's just a scam where we keep kicking the can down the road and wait for it to blow up.
post #74 of 77 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 17, 11:51 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966_L78 View Post
Whew... well that one reason why California isn't all bad... With Prop 13, the prop value increases are capped to a max of 2% per year... It all goes back to the basis of the price you bought your home at (or 1976?, when Prop 13 took affect)...

I bought my home near the top of the market, and the County actually reduced the rates automatically for a few years... But during that time I was also able to get a further reduction by appealing... I think 3 out of 4 years, I won my appeal. The forth year, I still won a further reduction, but not as low as I hoped... Bt the values have come roaring back, and the "2% cap" doesn't apply to the reduced values due to the appeals... So the base value has been increasing about 2% per year...

My base rate is only 1% of the assessed value, with an additional 0.1 or 0.2% due to local funding measures passed by the local voters... 1+% doesn't seem bad, but with the high price of California real estate... I also pay a set bond fee of about $1900 per year to pay for the new schools that were built with my home. That $1900 does not increase... The good news, is that school bond will be paid off around 2030 (30 year bond, I think), but I could always pay off mine anytime...

I did have another argument with the assessors office, as we put in a swimming pool 4 years ago, and they initially assessed us 100% of the cost! I appealed and they apologized, as it should have been ONLY 82% of the actual cost... Of course, a used pool doesn't add 82%, but no way to reduce further without paying for an appraisal, and I am sure current values are higher than the current assessed value...

I live in the same County as KarlJay, but thankfully, my City hasn't been using any tactics to get more income with fees and fines... Of course, they are getting ready to develop 10,000 new homes which will bring a whole slew of new problems...
Ok, that's confusing... when you argue to reduce the fees and the price goes back up later, it's not subject to the 2% cap? You lost me on that...

Let's say your base was 100K... they can't raise it more than 2% from your base so they each time they go to the max (2%) you appeal and sometimes you win. So it's still only going to be a max of 2% per year... so what you're saying is that if you appeal each 2% raise and make it only a 1% raise... they can come back and go PAST the 2% ??

I don't get that. From what you say... if they come in and try to get the max (2%) and you fight back... they can bypass the 2% max based on the fact that it was reduced because of an appeal?

If that were true, then all they have to do is over do everyone's price, everyone appeals, everyone wins, they come back next time and they've bypassed the whole 2% rule.

I don't understand that at all.

If you bought at the peak in Folsom... WOW, you gotta be paying thru the nose for that, Folsom isn't cheap.
post #75 of 77 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 17, 6:04 AM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpete View Post
Obviously, some states are more of an issue than others.

But what is often the problem is the government never properly funded the retirement accounts so now the taxpayers will take it in the shorts again to make up the shortfall.
That's exactly what is going on in my State. I live in Waterbury, CT. and the taxpayers of each town fund their own town and the state kicks in some to help the towns. Because of corruption over the years and under funding of city pensions we got a big tax hike and our still paying for it. Now the State that made our town straighten up their act has to straighten up theirs. When times were good too many towns and states gave away everything along with corruption and it's caught up to them now.
mr 4 speed likes this.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 862 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.